Big 8 Region I AAA Conference Offseason

formerblazer

I know they also play Soddy Daisy early, but I'm not sure how many players return for them. The Hilltoppers narrowly beat them last year.

There will be a fair amount of returning starters for Science Hill this year, but the majority of the leaders/play makers have graduated. Really don't know what to expect other than ALOT of excitement. Soddy Daisy, Elizabethton and then Volunteer are the first 3 games.

And THSViking - I like your Big 8 Conference helmet box . . . but Science Hill will be changing the helmet design this year.

Well well, Murphy's Fair has Boone as #10 in the state preseason. Congrats to my team but that means one loss knocks you off and it is a claw to the top. Paint a big bulls-eye on the Trailblazers, which will be a nice change of pace.

formerblazer,

Do you feel like the 'ole mental block will effect your Blazers this season? Some teams (and head coaches) just seem to implode when they play certain other teams. South has owned Boone. In the same thought,South hasn't been able to get over Dobyns Bennet even when the talk was that they would. TN High has been talented but inconsistent in past years (ask Volunteer). With the talk of a very good Blazer squad (congrats on your Murphy Fair ranking)and South losing so so much talent to graduation, this may be Boone's year. I'm not sure if South has enough to play with Dobyns Bennett either this year as the Indians should be very good.

I personally am looking forward to a great fall! Dobyns Bennett will be hard to stop up the middle and on the corners, but will they be able to pass the ball and catch it? Boone has allot, but can they put "the season" together? Can South overcome the doubters and remain on top of the region's 5A throne? Will Stacy Carter continue to assume the fetal position at Science Hill anytime he is within 100 yards of Graham Clark? I'll go out on a limb and pick TN High to win the conference title, with wins over South and Boone.

Edited by Pudding

formerblazer,

Do you feel like the 'ole mental block will effect your Blazers this season? Some teams (and head coaches) just seem to implode when they play certain other teams. South has owned Boone. In the same thought,South hasn't been able to get over Dobyns Bennet even when the talk was that they would. TN High has been talented but inconsistent in past years (ask Volunteer). With the talk of a very good Blazer squad (congrats on your Murphy Fair ranking)and South losing so so much talent to graduation, this may be Boone's year. I'm not sure if South has enough to play with Dobyns Bennett either this year as the Indians should be very good.

I personally am looking forward to a great fall! Dobyns Bennett will be hard to stop up the middle and on the corners, but will they be able to pass the ball and catch it? Boone has allot, but can they put "the season" together? Can South overcome the doubters and remain on top of the region's 5A throne? Will Stacy Carter continue to assume the fetal position at Science Hill anytime he is within 100 yards of Graham Clark? I'll go out on a limb and pick TN High to win the conference title, with wins over South and Boone.

Mental block...hard to say. Historically as some teams go I can see how that might happen, but then again historically Boone has not been in this spot, not in this conference at least. I think the South thing is something that I can't deny, since it has been 10 years since Boone has beat South. I think that is something that will definitely be on Boone's list. As far as TN High and Boone, I think Boone will have them but it will be a heck of a game. DB...they are loaded by all reports and when that game comes it will be a battle, but I am looking for that one to be a close one that could go either way. Boone will be in some battles this year if they want to win it, it won't be a given with their talent being heads above everyone.

I think TN High is strong, they have some good recruits, but I think that it will come down to experience and big games for those guys. As far as 5A goes...it really could come down to those three teams being at the tops.

DB and SH can do whatever it is they do so I have no idea what will happen there. I'm still putting my chip in for Boone to make the most noise this year, but it will be a fight all the way. Those three games will be the ones people want to see this year, as they will be some good HS football.

Don't forget Boone. :mrgreen: Gray,TN will be probably be the next best place to be during Week 9 if you can't go to the Science Hill/DB game.

I think the Boone TN High game will be more of a fan favorite, but it will probably be overshadowed by the DB SH game. There is the rivalry there and I am suspecting that up until that point, SH will be making some noise and some claims will be made. I won't take a thing away from them, but I think they are a few more years out till beating DB.

As far as our game goes, you can guarantee a packed house. It seems that in all sports Boone and TN High has been more exciting since week 2 of the playoffs. Depending on how both teams season goes up till then, it'll be a standing room only game for both sides.

I think the Boone TN High game will be more of a fan favorite, but it will probably be overshadowed by the DB SH game. There is the rivalry there and I am suspecting that up until that point, SH will be making some noise and some claims will be made. I won't take a thing away from them, but I think they are a few more years out till beating DB.

As far as our game goes, you can guarantee a packed house. It seems that in all sports Boone and TN High has been more exciting since week 2 of the playoffs. Depending on how both teams season goes up till then, it'll be a standing room only game for both sides.

I know I'm probably repeating myself,but if I were to put odds on beating DB over the next ten year span,Science Hill would be my biggest worry with the gold mine of talent that has gone wasted for so long in Johnson City.Tennessee High and South have had several years of great football and will allways bring out DB's best as well.I don't know how long Boone's level of play will continue,but with strenth vs strenth in this years rematch,my only hope this year is a clean, flag free game and may the best leave with a victory.

• Upvote 1

I know I'm probably repeating myself,but if I were to put odds on beating DB over the next ten year span,Science Hill would be my biggest worry with the gold mine of talent that has gone wasted for so long in Johnson City.Tennessee High and South have had several years of great football and will allways bring out DB's best as well.I don't know how long Boone's level of play will continue,but with strenth vs strenth in this years rematch,my only hope this year is a clean, flag free game and may the best leave with a victory.

Ya gotta admit though, Clark's quote from the paper was priceless, but I very well know how a flag can ruin a drive. TN High vs Boone 2 should have been 30 to 14, but a holding call took one back.

Any jamboree this year? When & where?

Congrats to the Real Deal Derrick Steele - Pre-Season All-State D Back

Roll Tribe Roll

It would be interesting if Science Hill & South were to pair up against each other in the jamboree (waste of time). Both teams trying to show off and run the score up on each other. What a "hoot" that would be.

There will be a fair amount of returning starters for Science Hill this year, but the majority of the leaders/play makers have graduated. Really don't know what to expect other than ALOT of excitement. Soddy Daisy, Elizabethton and then Volunteer are the first 3 games.

And THSViking - I like your Big 8 Conference helmet box . . . but Science Hill will be changing the helmet design this year.

Not very fond of that helmet design anyway. Will the Hilltoppers go back to that 49ers type of decal with the S & H or a different design?