Thrown games?

seriously

Does anyone think that games are purposely lost or thrown for the benefit of better chances of winning on down the road, especially at tournament time? Some buddies of mine at work were talking about it the other day around the water cooler and got me to thinking. I know I have heard of the possibility of it having happened at the professional and college ranks but had not thought that much about it at the high school level. I don't guess there is really any kind of rule against it but it seems to me that it takes away the true spirit and meaning of playing the games in the first place. Should you always play to win or should you do what will get your team the farthest down the road, even if it means throwing one? Not looking for specific teams or coaches ..... just wondering if anyone has first hand knowledge of it actually happening.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chattanooga High School (City HS) did this in a boy's tournament a while back, about 15 years ago. I think their opponent in the district was Notre Dame, not a bad team but not up to City's level that season. The goal was to avoid Howard until a region final if I remember right. It may not have even come out but the coach couldn't help but tell the paper "We were able to get a lot of our reserves playing time tonight" or something along those lines, he couldn't stand that people may be thought his team legitimately lost. He was relieved of his position after the season.

Rhea County boys appeared to do the same thing a few years back, I can't remember the details.

It would appear that as long as the Dates and Times of the games are coordinated and any change has to be approved by the TSSAA, everything will be all right. It looked this year that the system became fragmented and either the TSSAA was giving a lot of variances or the system broke down. Not saying anything was wrong but to say the rule may have been changed.

several years ago a team that is now district 7a threw a game in semi-finals to get in opposite bracket of the obivious power house that year 1st plays 3rd in region if you defeat other district in 1st round and I think they ended up loosing in substate anyway. This was in late 70's or early 80's but it was so obvious and nobody denied it and some thought it was good stradegy and the coach is still coaching and is among the best in state.