ENSWORTH OR MARYVILLE

Vols1234

Not in the least worried about it, guess I should not have used my great dane as a user name, but as a big guy I would feel a bit out of place if I used my wife's miniture poodles name. Just a huge high school football fan who played the game for many years and still follow it closely in 3 states. So I am a fan of Maryville as well as Ensworth because they play the game the way I enjoy it the most and both coaches can take a team and make them believe they are something special. I attend a high school football game every fri night and search out the best matchups to attend ( all over the state ) I watched Ensworth play twice, Maryville twice, Whitehaven twice, Brentwood Academy twice, Baylor twice, Riverdale twice, and 3 games out of state. One in Florida,NC and Ga. People who just randomly say a team can beat another team without knowing both teams well will usually pick their bias. Even knowing both teams well does not mean things work out the way you may imagine on the football field. I was at the Brentwood Academy-Ensworth game this year and BA was ranked higher and most everyone picked them to beat Ensworth. Brentwood academy had at least 8 maybe 9 D1 players on this years team in its starting lineup and they had by far the fastest overall team of any Ensworth faced this year, but they were whipped on the football field. Most people who know football very well in Nashville picked BA by a few touchdowns. Maryville is much in the same light in my eyes. On paper sometimes you just think the game will be closer than what it turns out to be, so I rarely if ever count them out of any game. An Ensworth - Maryville with both teams at their prime would be terrific for the state of football in TN. Would be fun to have the D2 AA champion face the 6A champion for one game, year end...winner takes all. Of course than would never happen but fun to think about it.

Dont sweat it, everybody gets touchy if they read/hear something questioning their teams "immortality".....lol

Not in the least worried about it, guess I should not have used my great dane as a user name, but as a big guy I would feel a bit out of place if I used my wife's miniture poodles name. Just a huge high school football fan who played the game for many years and still follow it closely in 3 states. So I am a fan of Maryville as well as Ensworth because they play the game the way I enjoy it the most and both coaches can take a team and make them believe they are something special. I attend a high school football game every fri night and search out the best matchups to attend ( all over the state ) I watched Ensworth play twice, Maryville twice, Whitehaven twice, Brentwood Academy twice, Baylor twice, Riverdale twice, and 3 games out of state. One in Florida,NC and Ga. People who just randomly say a team can beat another team without knowing both teams well will usually pick their bias. Even knowing both teams well does not mean things work out the way you may imagine on the football field. I was at the Brentwood Academy-Ensworth game this year and BA was ranked higher and most everyone picked them to beat Ensworth. Brentwood academy had at least 8 maybe 9 D1 players on this years team in its starting lineup and they had by far the fastest overall team of any Ensworth faced this year, but they were whipped on the football field. Most people who know football very well in Nashville picked BA by a few touchdowns. Maryville is much in the same light in my eyes. On paper sometimes you just think the game will be closer than what it turns out to be, so I rarely if ever count them out of any game. An Ensworth - Maryville with both teams at their prime would be terrific for the state of football in TN. Would be fun to have the D2 AA champion face the 6A champion for one game, year end...winner takes all. Of course than would never happen but fun to think about it.

It wouldn't happen because Ensworth turned down the offer to play a REAL LIVE GAME , maybe that's why Maryville fans are tired of their " immortality " being questioned . If you know as much about Football as you claim , then you should know how silly it was to say Ensworth would beat Maryville , you really don't know for sure till they meet on the field . I would never count Coach Quarles out in any game , I've seen it over and over , he beats teams that on paper there's no way in the world he should win . Even with that said , you don't see me going ahead and claiming a victory over Ensworth do you ? This has always been the funny time of year that every team across the State would have beat Maryville , It really is amazing that as great a Coach that Coach Quarles is , he has yet to win a game in the IMAGINARY FOOTBALL LEAGUE . :roflol:

I know enough about football to know two good teams and to form my own unbiased opinion knowing that I may be wrong. I also was a 4 star recruit out of high school in nc and started two years on a big ten football team which makes me more apt to look at the game from both sides a little closer and not necessarily at just one team. Fans of a team usually if ever see the whole field because they are focused on their kid or their team. With that said, I can only speculate about the matchup. Neither you nor I can say who would win but I have seen both teams play and know it would be a good game. I also know at one time Brentwood academy prior to 1997 was a 9 time state champion in 28 years of football. Coach flatt who won 10 state championships and is the winning ness coach in tn history only won 1 when the private schools split off into d2. I actually think maryville would be one of the only schools in tn who could compete in the d2 league year end and year out and that's a testament to the coach and team. This tread was started with Ensworth or maryville and so I gave an unbiased opinion from a guy that likes both teams. Imaginary or not.

It wouldn't happen because Ensworth turned down the offer to play a REAL LIVE GAME , maybe that's why Maryville fans are tired of their " immortality " being questioned . If you know as much about Football as you claim , then you should know how silly it was to say Ensworth would beat Maryville , you really don't know for sure till they meet on the field . I would never count Coach Quarles out in any game , I've seen it over and over , he beats teams that on paper there's no way in the world he should win . Even with that said , you don't see me going ahead and claiming a victory over Ensworth do you ? This has always been the funny time of year that every team across the State would have beat Maryville , It really is amazing that as great a Coach that Coach Quarles is , he has yet to win a game in the IMAGINARY FOOTBALL LEAGUE . :roflol:

I know enough about football to know two good teams and to form my own unbiased opinion knowing that I may be wrong. I also was a 4 star recruit out of high school in nc and started two years on a big ten football team which makes me more apt to look at the game from both sides a little closer and not necessarily at just one team. Fans of a team usually if ever see the whole field because they are focused on their kid or their team. With that said, I can only speculate about the matchup. Neither you nor I can say who would win but I have seen both teams play and know it would be a good game. I also know at one time Brentwood academy prior to 1997 was a 9 time state champion in 28 years of football. Coach flatt who won 10 state championships and is the winning ness coach in tn history only won 1 when the private schools split off into d2. I actually think maryville would be one of the only schools in tn who could compete in the d2 league year end and year out and that's a testament to the coach and team. This tread was started with Ensworth or maryville and so I gave an unbiased opinion from a guy that likes both teams. Imaginary or not.

And Coach Flatt is 0-2 vs Maryville ... I should know , I was on both of those teams , 1976 , 1978

George Quarles has won 9 State Championships in his 13 years as head coach, not too bad ... Normally I would agree with you on D2 strength , not this year though .

I don't know the schedules for next year but would be fun to see them play. In my opinion next year could be Ensworth's best team ever. One that could compete for a national championship. They lose no offensive or defensive linemen. Their quarterback and mr football running back return and they have a kid 6'3 who runs a 4.37 40 taking over at wide receiver and safety. Where would you guys who are Maryville fans rank this team versus the other state championships this past decade?

Calling B.S. -- there is not a 6'3" high school kid around here who runs a 4.37. If he does, he's faster than Devin Hester, Randall Cobb, and Reggie Bush, just to name a few world class speed NFL players.

Calling B.S. -- there is not a 6'3" high school kid around here who runs a 4.37. If he does, he's faster than Devin Hester, Randall Cobb, and Reggie Bush, just to name a few world class speed NFL players.

There are actually some high school kids who can run that fast, I am not saying there are any in TN but just b/c some of the super stars you named may not be that fast doesnt mean it is not true. Having said that, that doesnt mean those kids are or will ever be as good of players as those in the NFL. I wouldnt be surprised if there are a few kids in the state who run that fast or close to it.....

There are actually some high school kids who can run that fast, I am not saying there are any in TN but just b/c some of the super stars you named may not be that fast doesnt mean it is not true. Having said that, that doesnt mean those kids are or will ever be as good of players as those in the NFL. I wouldnt be surprised if there are a few kids in the state who run that fast or close to it.....

Well, Cody Blanc from Central ran a true 4.4 electronically timed 40 at VA Techs combine when he went there, and he played at Knoxville Central, so i am sure their are. But, most that are are getting a lot of looks from schools, but on the other hand straight line speed doesn't always translate to having fluid movement and fluid hip movement and lateral quickness. The players that were named in the NFL have both, that is what makes them stand out.

There absolutely are kids in high school who run 4.4's. I was at a Nike camp last year and Deon Johnson, Marvin Bracy and another kid all ran sub 4.4 40 times. C.J spiller ran a sub 4.4 in high school and so did a slew of other people. C. J sanders at Brentwood academy is said to run a 4.4... He is the son of Chris sanders and has already received an offer from tn as a freshman. Not saying it the norm or if it translates to success on the football field but speed is one thing that you can not teach.

Well, Cody Blanc from Central ran a true 4.4 electronically timed 40 at VA Techs combine when he went there, and he played at Knoxville Central, so i am sure their are. But, most that are are getting a lot of looks from schools, but on the other hand straight line speed doesn't always translate to having fluid movement and fluid hip movement and lateral quickness. The players that were named in the NFL have both, that is what makes them stand out.

This is very true and is why many "elite speed" or track guys rarely make a successful transition to football. Chris Johnson of the Titans is 1 of the few speed backs who knows how to use his speed/quickness in the NFL very effectively.....

There absolutely are kids in high school who run 4.4's. I was at a Nike camp last year and Deon Johnson, Marvin Bracy and another kid all ran sub 4.4 40 times. C.J spiller ran a sub 4.4 in high school and so did a slew of other people. C. J sanders at Brentwood academy is said to run a 4.4... He is the son of Chris sanders and has already received an offer from tn as a freshman. Not saying it the norm or if it translates to success on the football field but speed is one thing that you can not teach.

I would be interested in knowing what Oak Ridge Running Back Matt Moore runs in the 40. I would venture to say he is near a 4.4 at least. He is a track star as well.

Edited by SweetScience

RB at Greeneville Taylor Shuffler ran a 4.37 40 at the UT Combine this year. There are kids that have NFL Speed