Sullivan South/Cleveland Playoff issue

mjuhb

Another theory that may have contributed to the refusal to make changes: TSSAA refused Camion Patrick's eligibility transfer request from Lenior City to Knox West. I believe that denial ruffled some feathers at Knox West between them and TSSAA and with Lenior City as well. With the current brackets West is a home # 4 seed and seeded in Quad 1 away from Lenior City. The TSSAA would have been pretty uncomfortable moving West back to Quad 2 where they would have been a #5 seed due to auto qualifiers, forfeiting their home field advantage and back in the same quad with Lenior City. Maybe this was also about preserving salve for a wounded relationship.

Edited by crawdad

Totally agree with Wes....not going to happen though. I just can see why the Association is just so indifferent and futher so inept in dealing with the public that ultimately it counts on for support. People accept that mistakes are going to be made but anyone will tell you that its how you deal with mistakes that matter. And hubris and arrogance in any business never work in the long term. It's like they just don't know any better. As an aside, what on earth is this association doing with almost $2 million in cash while almost every athletic department in TN is strapped for cash?

Another theory that may have contributed to the refusal to make changes: TSSAA refused Camion Patrick's eligibility transfer request from Lenior City to Knox West. I believe that denial ruffled some feathers at Knox West between them and TSSAA and with Lenior City as well. With the current brackets West is a home # 4 seed and seeded in Quad 1 away from Lenior City. The TSSAA would have been pretty uncomfortable moving West back to Quad 2 where they would have been a #5 seed due to auto qualifiers, forfeiting their home field advantage and back in the same quad with Lenior City. Maybe this was also about perseving salve for a wounded relationship.

The fly in that ointment is that both are in District 4AAA. They've already met once this year.

Don't buy for a minute in to that theory.

Edited by HTV

'Indian' timestamp=

Another partial solution, stop the four year class periods. Go two years at a time and if any major changes (such as totally scrapping this format) need to be made it would be easier. It was two year periods for decades and it's still that way in many states.

I agree on the two year class periods thoughts..too much trouble imo for TSSAA .also go back to 5 classes or less as they were the best of times amd this wouldnt have happened ..this recent problem should have been rectified correctly ..no team should have to travel this far to play a 1st or 2nd round playoff game

Edited by DHSFB64

You could do it every two years, easily...it worked for years without the communication possible now. It's needed to help prevent teams from playing well over their class's cutoff for a season or two, especially new schools that start out with relatively small enrollment and grow quickly as classes are added. Have the districts made out in advance, using the previous year's enrollments than make whatever changes are necessary given the most recent 20-day enrollments. Then a couple weeks later add in teams moving up on their own, moving from Division II, etc and two weeks later have a final vote on it.

Looking over the posts and at the points made, yes, it probably would be possible to reseed without too much trouble caused for individual teams. Still since it wasn't for whatever reason I guarantee Sullivan South would rather be going to Columbia than missing the playoffs.

'Indian' timestamp=

Another partial solution, stop the four year class periods. Go two years at a time and if any major changes (such as totally scrapping this format) need to be made it would be easier. It was two year periods for decades and it's still that way in many states.

I agree on the two year class periods thoughts..too much trouble imo for TSSAA .also go back to 5 classes or less as they were the best of times amd this wouldnt have happened ..this recent problem should have been rectified correctly ..no team should have to travel this far to play a 1st or 2nd round playoff game

My guess is this won't be the last snafu, though not necessarily this season. The result may be scrapping the whole current set-up. The question is will the alternative be worse.

I would like to hear some of you folks ideas to fix this system, other than just "fewer classes". I think we all agree that there are issues with this system, but what are the root causes. I don't think it's number of classes. I also don't think it's errors like this, all systems will have glitches, could it have been avoided or handled differently, of course.

The major complaints come from fans who think their team at 8-2 shouldn't be seeded below a 7-3 team, or their 5-5 team beat another 5-5 team that has a higher seed.

Tell me how the TSSAA can avoid this? Ward Gosset from TFP says eliminate regions/districts, take the top 32 teams. I guess we would seed them by record....that's what we do now, and there are complaints.

I've heard let's go back to 16 districts and only take the top 2 teams, or 8 regions and take the top 4. Sounds good, then we get complaints that "our 3rd place team that was left out could win any other district in the state".

So somebody, please give us a solution that fixes the play-off problem. Going to 4 or 5 classes would reduce the playoff games and take money from the TSSAA, and I think that makes people feel good, anything to stick it to the TSSAA, but you still have the same problems and there will still be people complaining.

Edited by Charlie Murphy

One team each district each classification. You're right Charlie all are flawed and all will have complaints. I guess Im old school dont like making a playoff bigger for what to make this school or that feel good about going 5&5 and go to playoffs. Yeah let's reward mediocre performance. That's the American way. I still remember times when the regular season was make or break you knew what you had to do to go and who you had to beat. Very few tie breakers ever came into play.