South Pittsburg at Gordonsville (Grider against this Marshall man)

Roy Dillard

Yes, we had fumbles & bad calls but could not score when we had the chance. Life continues till we begin again for next year. Thanks for a great season Pirates!!

Good luck Gordy! You got us this time but we'll look forward to our next matchup - always a great one.

Edited by 855fan

Well, just got home. I will keep this short. SP outplayed Gordonsville tonight. Flat out everywhere except the scoreboard. Our boys really stepped up on D and left it out on the field. They played their hearts out and for that I am proud. That was a bull crap holding call the ref threw on the touchdown pass that got called back. In the end though we had a chance to win and I would have done the same thing coach Grider did. Next year we return a lot and will probably be right back in the mix. As for Gordonsville, Greenback will give them a good game I think. Sometimes you need to be lucky to win a state title and Gordonsville was lucky to escape with a win tonight. But, congrats and now go win a title for the east.

My last post and I will say I agree 110% They escaped but all that matters is the end is W's & L's

Edited by TonyHorton91281

My team got monkey stomped tonight by a relentless Mustang attack. Ive seen championship teams before. This Huntingdon team is for real. I know this thread is not about them and there is still alot of football to be played. Im just throwing in my support for these guys and somebody over there in the east had better take notice. I said earlier in the year that either UC or Huntingdon would come out of the west and I was dead wrong about my team. We just didnt have that same toughness of our 09 team. But...the Stangs do and then some. No doubt there are some very capable teams in the east but....these boys from Huntingdon....they are in a mode that will take them all the way. Barring any seriuos injuies these guys have my vote.

Not much of a poster on here anymore, just mainly like to over look the threads and let other people do the tallking but I usually come out and give my two cents around the end of the second round of the playoffs and I can't say im surprised. I thought Gville would have won by at least two touchdowns or more. I attented many Sp games this year and watched the teams they played that was as good as them or better put points upon points on the scoreboard against Sp's defense. Plus speaking to some of my friends that are knowledgeable about Gville and trousdale teams, I was told that if Gville didn't beat Sp this year then they never would. So given that information and from what I seen with this years pirates defense I wasn't expecting a barn burner. But with all that being said it sounds like tonight was the pirates break out game on D and it couldn't have came at a better time. After talking on the phone the ole wise friend his synopsis was that Gville was the better team and didn't play to their full potential tonight. Saying that Gville squanderd two scoring chances late in the game against the pirates. He did say that Sp was a good team but not great. If your a sp fan you have to be sick at your at your stomach but that drive back home might have been a little better tonight than driving home after a thumping. And if Sp was in 2A they might still be playing after tonight. Anyways congrats Gville, hope you guys bring home the championship.

Well, just got home. I will keep this short. SP outplayed Gordonsville tonight. Flat out everywhere except the scoreboard. Our boys really stepped up on D and left it out on the field. They played their hearts out and for that I am proud. That was a bull crap holding call the ref threw on the touchdown pass that got called back. In the end though we had a chance to win and I would have done the same thing coach Grider did. Next year we return a lot and will probably be right back in the mix. As for Gordonsville, Greenback will give them a good game I think. Sometimes you need to be lucky to win a state title and Gordonsville was lucky to escape with a win tonight. But, congrats and now go win a title for the east.

Total yards were about even between the two teams.

Like I said earlier, If Gville scores the 3 times they're inside the 15. It's lopsided. Lucky to win, maybe. Would SP be considered lucky if they'd won. Maybe.

Hard fought game and both teams played hard.

SP fans mostly are looking through SP glasses, Gville will do likewise. That's the way it goes.

But, calling Gville lucky just seems like an attempt to cheapen their win. If I'm not mistaken, they held Johnson to the lowest rushing yards he had all year along with the team as a whole. 214 total rushing yards is what it says on the Tennessean's site for SP rushing yards. Gville had 224.

Not much of a poster on here anymore, just mainly like to over look the threads and let other people do the tallking but I usually come out and give my two cents around the end of the second round of the playoffs and I can't say im surprised. I thought Gville would have won by at least two touchdowns or more. I attented many Sp games this year and watched the teams they played that was as good as them or better put points upon points on the scoreboard against Sp's defense. Plus speaking to some of my friends that are knowledgeable about Gville and trousdale teams, I was told that if Gville didn't beat Sp this year then they never would. So given that information and from what I seen with this years pirates defense I wasn't expecting a barn burner. But with all that being said it sounds like tonight was the pirates break out game on D and it couldn't have came at a better time. After talking on the phone the ole wise friend his synopsis was that Gville was the better team and didn't play to their full potential tonight. Saying that Gville squanderd two scoring chances late in the game against the pirates. He did say that Sp was a good team but not great. If your a sp fan you have to be sick at your at your stomach but that drive back home might have been a little better tonight than driving home after a thumping. And if Sp was in 2A they might still be playing after tonight. Anyways congrats Gville, hope you guys bring home the championship.

Agreed, Gville suffered from lack of action in the past month.

This game will do them some good for the rest of the way.

Yes they are hard to replace, even Stone, but Lankford is back. Our entire offensive line is back other than the center. Our entire defensive line is back other than nose. We will be back. You got a dose of #2 the past 2 years, now get ready for #3, our rising Freshman who is quick as lightning.

I haven't said anything but it was obvious. 53 tackled Johnson then he punched Johnson in the nuts. The next play we fumble inside our 35. Gordy scores afterwards.

Where the questionable play happened gave no one from Gville a way to see it.

If it was intentional, I hate it, but all I can go on is what SP fans say. To be honest, I seriously don't think it was intentional.

I for one am proud of the Pirates tonight. They stepped up and played ball against a very good senior laden Gordonsville but just came up short. Nothing to hang your heads about, this was the year for the Tigers and I wish them good luck in the rest of the playoffs. Hopefully they can bring the gold ball back to the East side of TN this year.

Grider went for two there because our PAT kicker is just a freshman. He said in the Signal Mtn game that he would rather be blamed for the loss than a kid and I agree with him. Plus, anybody that has been around football knows that you go for 2 on the road if the game is on the line.

as we were marching for that last score, all the fans in my section started to speculate on what would you do if we score here. Everyone including ex players, a coach and even a referee that was an ex coach, who ask me how experience was our kicker, i told he was a freshman. He said , I agree with all of you, go for 2. It's easy then to second guess. I think coach made right choice.

as we were marching for that last score, all the fans in my section started to speculate on what would you do if we score here. Everyone including ex players, a coach and even a referee that was an ex coach, who ask me how experience was our kicker, i told he was a freshman. He said , I agree with all of you, go for 2. It's easy then to second guess. I think coach made right choice.

After driving 99 yards, why wouldn't you think you could get 3 and the win?

Granted, Gville came out on the better end of the call, but I can't question it.

You're the only one that's mentioned dirty play, and I'm sure the nut punch was unintentional. With a back like Johnson, you grab him where you can. It's not the first time a player has been unintentionally hit there.

As for the mayor thing, I know nothing about that. Elaborate, if you will. If it was the city mayor, I didn't vote for him anyway.

It was a good clean game both ways, get over it.

First Congrats to GV on the W....Croz, Old Pirate says dozens of SP folkes saw Coen, it was no accident.....sorry.....that youngun showed no class, 77 is a much better player! OP sat beside a college scout and he too witnessed it....don't expect them to come calling, he had total disgust! Again Congrats on the hard fought win. Edited by OLD PIRATE