Oak Ridge 2013 Schedule?

boyfromsi

I still have no answer to my question about what the AD should do. The issues of numbers, commitment, and the "hug and a trophy" mentality are far more widespread than just in Oak Ridge and just in football. What would you have an AD do to combat the softness and lack of competitive fire that pervades the current generation of parents and kids?

I like it. Well said. Mike Mullins is Oak Ridge all the way. He has the respect of everynathletic director in East Tennessee . See what you do for the program instead of complaining about it.

Mike Mullins may be Oak Ridge all the way. He may have the respect of every athletic director in East Tennessee (I'm assuming that is based on him winning an award a couple of years ago). He may be a likeable guy. He likely has a difficult job. But is he the person for the job.

It might be interesting to know that he doesn't have the respect of the administrative staff that works with him (yes, first hand knowledge), he doesn't have the respect of his coaches (second hand knowledge, but known to be reliable, although I did hear one boys head coach say that he just went to Dr. Goins if he really wanted a decision), he contradicts himself constantly (first hand knowledge) and he told a friend of mine that he believed we were too obsessed with having these kids commit to athletic teams and he thought they needed time to do other things.

I have no beef with him, I just want him to do his job and do it well. And, while he might not have any control over the schedule, McMinn County isn't in our district and I would think that if he was in touch with the community, he would know that McMinn County would not have been our first, second, or third choice. And if he had the respect of so many athletic directors, it would seem that we could get someone to play us. We might not be what we were, but as Eric Ainge said, you are still Oak Ridge.

Having said this, what do you think the job of an athletic director is? Let's measure performance against expectations and see where we are.

Mike Mullins may be Oak Ridge all the way. He may have the respect of every athletic director in East Tennessee (I'm assuming that is based on him winning an award a couple of years ago). He may be a likeable guy. He likely has a difficult job. But is he the person for the job.

It might be interesting to know that he doesn't have the respect of the administrative staff that works with him (yes, first hand knowledge), he doesn't have the respect of his coaches (second hand knowledge, but known to be reliable, although I did hear one boys head coach say that he just went to Dr. Goins if he really wanted a decision), he contradicts himself constantly (first hand knowledge) and he told a friend of mine that he believed we were too obsessed with having these kids commit to athletic teams and he thought they needed time to do other things.

I have no beef with him, I just want him to do his job and do it well. And, while he might not have any control over the schedule, McMinn County isn't in our district and I would think that if he was in touch with the community, he would know that McMinn County would not have been our first, second, or third choice. And if he had the respect of so many athletic directors, it would seem that we could get someone to play us. We might not be what we were, but as Eric Ainge said, you are still Oak Ridge.

Having said this, what do you think the job of an athletic director is? Let's measure performance against expectations and see where we are.

Good post....right on target. If Mullins so competent......WHY IS THE OR UPSIDE DOWN ON THE BASKETBALL COURT???? UUUHHHHHHH MIKE.

Funny that the scheduled turned from Oak Ridges schedule to the AD. But on a side note, what did he do to make the cheerleading coachs mad and all quit. I was at the AC vs OR basketball game and there were no Cheerleaders. I was told something happened between Mullins and them and they all quit.

That information is incorrect.

Edited by 3wiggle

I like it. Well said. Mike Mullins is Oak Ridge all the way. He has the respect of everynathletic director in East Tennessee . See what you do for the program instead of complaining about it.

I agree, Mike Mullins has been a great AD. He brought in coach Aaron Green and Scott Blade need I say more? The only thing I don't like about the schedule is not having a week zero opponent before we play Farragut, but is that Mike Mullins fault? LOL

I agree, Mike Mullins has been a great AD. He brought in coach Aaron Green and Scott Blade need I say more? The only thing I don't like about the schedule is not having a week zero opponent before we play Farragut, but is that Mike Mullins fault? LOL

That highlight tape brings back so many memories. So many great players have worn the Cardinal and Grey through the years. That first play by Ron Black against Central in 1991 is forever engrained into my memory bank. Dadgum i miss our old helmet logo, still. Bring it back, please!!!!!!!! It's an Oak Ridge tradition!!! Why we would want to let that go, i have no idea!!! I know it's miniscule in the overall scheme of things, but some things you just don't mess with dadgummit!!!!!!!!!! lol

Edited by SweetScience