McCurry is gone

tistheseason

What about the playbook thing.  Why would a coach want to steal some ones playbook.  Coach Moore would have probably given it to him if he wanted that bad.  Coaches have more film than they can possibly watch on a team.  Every head coach in America knows the opposition is going to prepare for your best three or four plays, and you are going to do same to them. 

I've read them all but didn't see anything about paying someone to practice. Maybe I missed it. Either way, terrible situation he put the team in, I'm sorry for them.

Allegations of paying former South Pittsburg all-state running back Raquis Hale to suit up and practice against the Warriors' defense to help them adjust to South Pittsburg's speed advantage:

Oct. 29, 1:10 p.m., Schmitt to Starkey: "Raquis not coming today?"

Oct. 29, 1:51 p.m., Starkey to Schmitt: "He told Joe Dan he had a job interview or something."

Oct. 29, 1:52 p.m., Schmitt to Starkey: "darn"

Oct. 29, 1:52 p.m., Starkey to Schmitt: "I know. That [expletive] helped."

Oct. 29, 2:13 p.m., Schmitt to Starkey: "Mac (McCurry) said he would give him $50 for today. Text him and tell him."

Oct. 29, 2:27 p.m., Starkey to Schmitt: "Ok"

Oct. 29, 2:47 p.m., Schmitt to Starkey: "50 dollars for few plays ain't bad"

Oct. 29, 2:47 p.m., Starkey to Schmitt: "Raq coming"

Oct. 29, 2:47 p.m., Schmitt to Starkey: "Good [expletive]"

I don't think you punish these kids. It's obvious that McCurry was the mastermind behind these things. He pulled his coaches down with him. If he hadnt been so adamant about one football game these other coaches wouldn't have been involved. That part is sad to me as well as the players having to deal with this crap.

These were grown men....I don't feel sorry for them because the Head Coach told them to do it, they have a brain in their head, they should be able to think for themselves.....would you go out and do something against the law because your boss told you to?  Some of the things these men did were against the law, I'm sorry, they don't get a pass because they were told to do it.  There is not a man that deserves to be left on the staff, they all knew about what went on, whether they participated in all of it or not doesn't matter.....I don't doubt that there are some good men on this staff that just made a really dumb decision, but if MC wants to move forward they have to get rid of all of them and start from scratch.  JMO

• Upvote 1

The vandalism to motivate the team was stupid and could almost be overlooked because it was easily repaired except for the false blame they put on SPitt.  The paying the college kid to practice with the team was a good idea except that it is illegal under TSSAA and possibly dangerous.  Neither of these however gave Marion County's team an unfair advantage in my opinion.  But breaking in and stealing playbooks is different.  First of all breaking and entering is criminal.  Secondly it did give Marion County's team an unfair advantage in those games.  This throws their whole season into question and the TSSAA will have no choice but to strip them of all wins and titles if it is indeed true.

If the team is allowed to play, possibly eliminating more teams and possibly winning state, and is then stripped of all of it, then what?  On the other hand, if they are not allowed to play and it is proven that the coaches did not steal any playbooks, then what?  I thing the TSSAA needs to do a fast investigation and if proof of even one stolen playbook is found then the whole season needs to be forfeited.

I agree it is tough on the kids but that's the way life is.  One member of a group can ruin it for the rest of the group; it happens all the time.

What about the playbook thing.  Why would a coach want to steal some ones playbook.  Coach Moore would have probably given it to him if he wanted that bad.  Coaches have more film than they can possibly watch on a team.  Every head coach in America knows the opposition is going to prepare for your best three or four plays, and you are going to do same to them. 

you need to keep up possum..it was the play sheets, game plan for that particular game..and if you were at that game, you would have seen how it helped jasper stay in the game,,at halftime that Moore man scrapped the game plan that was in place and SP went back to the basics..the 2nd half was all SP

Question is, why did they do any of it at all? It was sinister, and its an absolute crying shame!

I watched a BIG NAME school get the death penalty last year for self-reporting an ineligible player during the season.

A special ed kid that only played like 10 snaps that GCHS thought had no eligibility issues.

So don't think that the TSSAA is not thinking about pulling the plug on Jasper....

exhibit a :Goose Creek HS in SC 2012...

This isn't near as crazy as what has happened in Marion.

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20121119/PC20/121119182/1165

The McCurry resume

Goal as head Coach to win a State Championship

Moore County- shambles
Marshall County- wrecked
Ripley Miss- Destroyed
Lakeview HS- Left after one game.Bailed on the kids
Relieved of his duties as Crockett County Coach 2 months after being hired.

Signal Mnt- Recruiting scandal...1 year
Marion County-resigned after Scandal

The vandalism to motivate the team was stupid and could almost be overlooked because it was easily repaired except for the false blame they put on SPitt. The paying the college kid to practice with the team was a good idea except that it is illegal under TSSAA and possibly dangerous. Neither of these however gave Marion County's team an unfair advantage in my opinion. But breaking in and stealing playbooks is different. First of all breaking and entering is criminal. Secondly it did give Marion County's team an unfair advantage in those games. This throws their whole season into question and the TSSAA will have no choice but to strip them of all wins and titles if it is indeed true.

If the team is allowed to play, possibly eliminating more teams and possibly winning state, and is then stripped of all of it, then what? On the other hand, if they are not allowed to play and it is proven that the coaches did not steal any playbooks, then what? I thing the TSSAA needs to do a fast investigation and if proof of even one stolen playbook is found then the whole season needs to be forfeited.

I agree it is tough on the kids but that's the way life is. One member of a group can ruin it for the rest of the group; it happens all the time.

Old Pirate says is not a question about the play sheets taken, Starkey has confessed about that. It seems that some folkes is hoping only Starkey, McCurry and Smidt were the only ones that knowed but somewhere OP thinks there is another coach acknowledging it.