TSSAA to Vote on Public/Private Split

bobcatfan300

WRONG! Its about ATHLETICS! Comments like "Crying" and "wanting a trophy for nothing" is so far off base that it shows just how disconnected you and yours really are....UNREAL!

Hey, you should bring yourself to a workout at Hampton or TD County and witness what a HARD workout and what sacrifice really is amongst "homeboys"...Get a clue what 11 to 15 young men go through on BOTH sides of the ball because there's not enough avail talent to play 22 or more players

Back in 2010, the private school I cover played for the 2A state title in football during a magical season.  During the regular season, I think that we may of had 24-28 kids on the entire team.  For the playoffs, we dressed about 35 as the coach had some of our 8th graders in uniform on the sideline just so we would have players on the sideline.  We only played maybe 14 kids who saw any action at all.  We only finished 3rd in our district and got in the playoffs on a wild card. 

I do have a clue as to what it takes to play and win with small numbers.  It's called hard work, dedication, and sacrafice.

Again I will ask the simple question and hope to get a straight forward answer. Why do private schools object to being in their own classification. Regular season games can be played versus other classification. The primary impact would be the post season. Why the objection. Just don't understand why it's such a big deal.

Who says we are objecting? Based on the rules provided by the TSSAA private schools are not breaking any rules by being in division 1. If that rule changes, we will be gone. It seems to me you feel like we should just volunteer to leave?

You're not kidding about youth leagues, I'm watching Friday Night Tykes and they treat those kids like it's the NFL playoffs lol. I couldn't agree with you more.

I have priorities for my kids,1st and formost is be a good person,you take that with you on judgement day, 2ond is be the best studend you can, that gets you through life, 3rd is be the best athelete you can,who knows what that may do for you,but it does teach alot of good life lessons. Idon't take any of the 3 lightly, if you are gonna be a bear, be a Griizzly

Everyone has their opinion and some are very valid.  The bottom line is if schools want to play in Div I then they should not be allowed to give ANY financial aide.  Period!  This includes work studies.  Work Studies is paying off the price that is owed.  This is financial aide.  If the CPA and Nash Chr. of the state would just tell the truth like Ensworth, BA, MUS, etc. most public schools would not gripe.  It is not right when a Lewis Co (football) and Cheatham Co (basketball) has one of its best teams ever (from its own community) and they have to go play a school that gives aide to players from all around the area.  

I have priorities for my kids,1st and formost is be a good person,you take that with you on judgement day, 2ond is be the best studend you can, that gets you through life, 3rd is be the best athelete you can,who knows what that may do for you,but it does teach alot of good life lessons. Idon't take any of the 3 lightly, if you are gonna be a bear, be a Griizzly

Well said sir. I completely agree. I tell my kids always strive to be the best whether it's in the class, field, court, or anywhere. I'm borrowing your phrase about the Grizzly. I like that.

Lets put this argument into another context. Look at college football. Their is three divisions (FBS, FCS, and DIII). DIII schools cannot offer athletic scholarships. Should they be forced to play against Alabama and such? Is that a level playing field? We would all agree not. Do the smaller DIII schools bring a huge crowd to get beat up on by the big guys? No.They still play them during the regular season, but not when it comes to postseason play.

I like Gerry Bertier points about finances. If we had games against similar sized public schools, and private schools played similar private schools, attendance would skyrocket. As it is now, CPA could not draw a decent crowd because no one wants to see a thirty or forty point blowout except the fans of the school winning.

I also take exception to the comments from private school supporters who say if public schools want to win, work harder and fundraiser more to get the same things as private schools. The real world doesnt work that way. If you are in a rural school system and every sport is trying to raise money, the same people get asked over and over and can only do so much. They dont have large bank accounts or write a check when something is needed. When half your school is on free and reduced lunch yet we are supposed to beg and plead for more money to build a  weight room when they cannot afford to buy lunch for their kids how is this equal or level?

We hear a lot about private vs. public and the spilt. But I have to ask private school supporters a questions that bugs me every time this discussion comes up. Why do private schools fear playing private schools? Private schools claim publics are trying to get rid of them and they should work harder and work for more things to get on a level playing field with the privates, but the privates will fight tooth and nail to not have to play the other private schools. Privates school supports bash on public school supports for wanting to equal things out but when my question is raised private school supporters use the same argument to not play other privates that the publics use to not play privates.  I know private schools are used to getting their way, but you make the same argument when the question flipped back on you.

• Upvote 1

Lets put this argument into another context. Look at college football. Their is three divisions (FBS, FCS, and DIII). DIII schools cannot offer athletic scholarships. Should they be forced to play against Alabama and such? Is that a level playing field? We would all agree not. Do the smaller DIII schools bring a huge crowd to get beat up on by the big guys? No.They still play them during the regular season, but not when it comes to postseason play.

I like Gerry Bertier points about finances. If we had games against similar sized public schools, and private schools played similar private schools, attendance would skyrocket. As it is now, CPA could not draw a decent crowd because no one wants to see a thirty or forty point blowout except the fans of the school winning.

I also take exception to the comments from private school supporters who say if public schools want to win, work harder and fundraiser more to get the same things as private schools. The real world doesnt work that way. If you are in a rural school system and every sport is trying to raise money, the same people get asked over and over and can only do so much. They dont have large bank accounts or write a check when something is needed. When half your school is on free and reduced lunch yet we are supposed to beg and plead for more money to build a  weight room when they cannot afford to buy lunch for their kids how is this equal or level?

We hear a lot about private vs. public and the spilt. But I have to ask private school supporters a questions that bugs me every time this discussion comes up. Why do private schools fear playing private schools? Private schools claim publics are trying to get rid of them and they should work harder and work for more things to get on a level playing field with the privates, but the privates will fight tooth and nail to not have to play the other private schools. Privates school supports bash on public school supports for wanting to equal things out but when my question is raised private school supporters use the same argument to not play other privates that the publics use to not play privates.  I know private schools are used to getting their way, but you make the same argument when the question flipped back on you.

GREAT POST!!!!!!

Well said sir. I completely agree. I tell my kids always strive to be the best whether it's in the class, field, court, or anywhere. I'm borrowing your phrase about the Grizzly. I like that.

I'm starting to like you,you actually see things for what they are. I've been in this iscussion for many years, I've learned alot. Private schools are a great option for many people, I actually applaud parents who go out of their way for their kids. I'd do the same in a skinny minute if I lived where it was warrented.In my opinion,the biggest difference in the 2 type schools is the dedication and expectations of the parents. If all public school parents were like the privates,there would be no need for private schools.

It's been a while, but I'll throw my 2 cents in...

In my experience of living in 4 states, I don't see the reason for the split except for the very small rural schools that TN has in comparison to our neighbors.  I think that the TSSAA has fixed that for football as a public has won Class A almost every year since the new playoff format has been in effect.  In basketball, I find that the better private and public school programs are competitive with each other.  Track and Baseball appear to be the same.  I could not imagine basketball, as played in my home state, Illinois, being the quality that it has without the best playing the best:  private and public schools.  Personally, I would abolish Div. II and put everyone back together.  Over the long term and in the grand scheme of things, playing the best does make you better if you are committed to excellence in what you do.  

I'm starting to like you,you actually see things for what they are. I've been in this iscussion for many years, I've learned alot. Private schools are a great option for many people, I actually applaud parents who go out of their way for their kids. I'd do the same in a skinny minute if I lived where it was warrented.In my opinion,the biggest difference in the 2 type schools is the dedication and expectations of the parents. If all public school parents were like the privates,there would be no need for private schools.

Common core and NCLB are two of the main reasons that private schools were looked at by my family. I've said some things (mostly for keeping up a debate) but I'm all about competition (and I truly do believe that all schools try to get the most out of their kids and want what's best for them from a competitive standpoint) and the privates will play where placed. I see both sides of the debate having coached in both public and private schools. If it helps from a competitive stand point then we really do need to and should split. Someone made a great point to go to 4 classes for public league and two for privates. Hopefully that will level the playing field.

Back in 2010, the private school I cover played for the 2A state title in football during a magical season.  During the regular season, I think that we may of had 24-28 kids on the entire team.  For the playoffs, we dressed about 35 as the coach had some of our 8th graders in uniform on the sideline just so we would have players on the sideline.  We only played maybe 14 kids who saw any action at all.  We only finished 3rd in our district and got in the playoffs on a wild card. 

I do have a clue as to what it takes to play and win with small numbers.  It's called hard work, dedication, and sacrafice.

One question.....was your 14 kids that played both sides of the ball the same as our 14 kids year in and year out? What I mean is, were they local, small town kids that, for the most part, had been a part of that school system for 9, 10, 11 years? "Homeboys"?