TSSAA to Vote on Public/Private Split

bobcatfan300

You want more funding?  Talk to your state representatives and local politicians who can put pressure on the department of education.  Funding for education is cut every year so school systems have to cut corners or fire teachers.  This has nothing to do with privates controlling the TSSAA with funds.  I teach at a public school and my kids attend a private school.  Nothing is given at the private school.  Unlike most public schools, you do have more parents involved and there are some well-to-do parents who would rather donate money then do fundraising. At the same time privates can't operate with out donations or boosters who will donate large amounts of money to keep the school open.  It has nothing to with the athletics that seems to be the focus here. It also sounds like the only ones  complaining are the schools who lose to the CPA's, Goodpastures, Ensworths etc.  They need to re-classify the TSSAA so that everyone can get a trophy since a certain few on here can have titles given to them and not put in the work and develop their programs.  We need a private school division, an open enrollment division, an urban division, a rural division, a division for schools who've never had a D-1 athlete, a division for schools who've never had a player sign a college scholarship, a division for schools who've never won a district title. etc etc.  When will it end?  I hope they do split so you guys find something else to complain about.  Jeez.

Great post!!

It's so funny to hear about all these recruiting situations and I guess TSSAA just turns the old blind eye because of the money blah blah blah boooo hoooo. So is it ok for public schools to have open enrollment?? And as far as public school having dual enrollment sure they do. Its still not anywhere close to college prep schools. Please for the love of God split so mediocre people like you dont have to play these superior athletes and you can get that all mighty trophy you chase. The problem is people forgot what hard work and competition really is about and like you said everything has to be fair!! Hey lets not even keep score and all hold hands and sing songs together after the game. That way no one is better than anyone else. Hate for Little Johnnys parents to keep living thru him and see him get beat its just not fair. I wonder if Appalachian State said its not fair we have to play Michigan in football?? Oh wait the less superior athletes won that game. Get your own second rate public school league please and be satisfied with not playing the best or trying to be the best. Quote name="tradertwo" post="3142553" timestamp="1394681605"]Our little 'ole public school already has duel enrollment classes, a 97% graduation rate, and 94% of those graduates enroll in college (some just a few hours shy of a college credit or two behind them). The nearest private is 40 miles away (two of them in our district), and If little Johnny is recruited away, at least we won't have to face him and the rest of their all stars to advance. One of the two privates in our district just decided to move back to DI after actively recruiting student athletes and offering scholarships for four years...how is that for fair?

I'm sure that your superior brain would get the better of my mediocre intellect in a debate, so I'll just bow out with one question, and I hope that it's worthy of your consideration...You chose App. State and Michigan for your example...you do realize that App. State had the choice to schedule Michigan for the money (gate, for the purpose of our comparison), but they did not have to face a BCS team to win the 2007 FBS championship...which they did. I'm disappointed that you, in all your elitist wisdom, left the opportunity for an imbecile like myself to expose you without more effort.

Just for the record...it's almighty, not all mighty in the context you used...have a good day!

Our little 'ole public school already has duel enrollment classes, a 97% graduation rate, and 94% of those graduates enroll in college (some just a few hours shy of a college credit or two behind them). The nearest private is 40 miles away (two of them in our district), and If little Johnny is recruited away, at least we won't have to face him and the rest of their all stars to advance. One of the two privates in our district just decided to move back to DI after actively recruiting student athletes and offering scholarships for four years...how is that for fair?

What they did in the past is the past. If they continue to recruit and provide financial aid, then that is cheating and not fair.

Also, In the middle of a sentence, you should not capitalize a word unless it is a proper noun

"The nearest private is 40 miles away (two of them in our district), and If little Johnny is recruited..."

What they did in the past is the past. If they continue to recruit and provide financial aid, then that is cheating and not fair.

Also, In the middle of a sentence, you should not capitalize a word unless it is a proper noun

"The nearest private is 40 miles away (two of them in our district), and If little Johnny is recruited..."

Johnny IS a proper noun...dOUG. Also, the athletes were drawn to the school with the DII regulations in effect...the ability to switch back and forth at will, while utilizing recruited athletes seem fair to you? Note that I didn't say legal, I said fair. Edited by tradertwo

Another idea. Let's just throw out all rules and let everyone do whatever they want. No rules on practice, recruiting, etc. Get rid of state championships and just have like schools come up with their own districts and compete for that and be done with it.

I don't really care if they split or not. We are a public school that plays some privates in regular season and post season. We choose the regular season games. My question to all of you private school supporters arguing against the split is this... If there isn't a difference, why do you not want to be put into a division with other, bigger, better privates? My guess is because you enjoy the athletic advantage you have over the publics. You know that you wouldn't have that same advantage in your own private division or else teams wouldn't make the switch back to public once they have been in DII. Say what you want, I know for a fact that the privates we play (by choice or force) each year actively recruit players. I know one school in particular whose head coach doesn't recruit but his son attends many middle school games and visits many rec centers looking for new talent. And he isn't shy about talking to the parents of the good athletes about the "advantages" of attending the school his dad coaches at. But, to be fair, I also know some publics who "recruit" players as well.

My question to all of you private school supporters arguing against the split is this... If there isn't a difference, why do you not want to be put into a division with other, bigger, better privates? My guess is because you enjoy the athletic advantage you have over the publics. You know that you wouldn't have that same advantage in your own private division or else teams wouldn't make the switch back to public once they have been in DII.

great question

What does it matter it they are public or private??? Seriously???? Man, no wonder we are raising a society that thinks they are "entitled" to anything they want. MTSU girls defeated SEC powerhouses such as KY, GA, LSU and other schools from major conferences. It's a dang good thing that no one told them that they were in weaker conference and should not compete with these schools. The NCAA tournament is not being fair by making little schools such as Davidson and Butler play against these larger schools???? REALLY!!!!??? I just get so tired of everyone complaining about things not being fair. If it's not the public/private thing, it's complaining about open zoning. If it's not that, then it's complaining about students moving schools or coaches who "recruit." It's the nature of sports..... All is not always fair, but you should teach your child/athlete to compete no matter what the circumstances and to never whine and complain. Again, just another example of teaching this young society entitlement!!!

I don't know about some of you (well, yes I do), but I have always wanted my kids to play AGAINST the best... The way you are carrying on, it seems that you feel the privates are better than the public schools in sports. However, I still beg to differ. The private schools never beat us at basketball. Only in track and field, but even then it only made our athletes better to run against them. But even If that is so, then I would want my child playing against the better teams game in and game out. I would rather lose by 2 to a better team than be a district champion in a district where I dominate and win by 20 each night. In the classroom, do you have your students taking regular or remedial classes instead of honors, because they might make a B in an honors class instead of an A in the regular??? Is it really fair that my child has to be in the same class with a kid whose mother and father are doctors and lawyers? I mean, where do we draw the line? Let's make schools quit allowing students to wear Polo shirts or Nike shoes or Southern Tradition T-shirts, because heaven forbid, that might be an unfair advantage. I know I have gone too far on this subject, but it always irks me that parents and coaches complain so much SIMPLY because they can't stand the competition. I am so tired of hearing, "but it's not fair...."   Man, teach your kids to stand up and face stricter competition and do so without making such excuses. Many of you have children who play AAU. You will face teams that are sponsored by NIKE and other all-star teams. Is it fair that those teams who recruit are in the same league as some of the more localized teams? I could go on and on, but I have said too much. I need to stay off coacht, because I just get too frustrated at all the whining!!!!

Edited by tnwareagle

Bradley has been a "swap-n-shop" county over the years for sports, no wonder you think there is nothing wrong with it.

Really!!!! Most of the athletes that I know who change schools. only leave one school over another because they are/were not getting to play at whichever school they left. It was a better choice for the students, because instead of sitting on bench, they were playing. Personally, I have NO issue with transferring, although NONE of my kids ever did. They ended where they began.

Edited by tnwareagle