Potential New 6 Classification Plan for 1A & 2A for 2015

riverrat

t$$aa says these changes are needed due to scheduling issues and travel during regular season well there seems to be a solution to this problem only count wins and loses within your classification toward playoff tie breakers and seeding this will force teams to schedule more games within there classification and I know what some of you will say what about rivalry games against higher classification teams well tssaa could give you say1 or 2 games of the 10 to play higher classification teams maybe even make that a requirement also just a thought

Here is the downside? If they split the privates will leave TSSAA and form their own organization. When this happens the recruiting war will be on and the publics will be drained. Lots of public studs will be playing with the privates. The second issue would be the financial drain. TSSAA would be hurt financially and we all know money talks.

confucius say...this is strictly speculation, can you prove either of those 2 scenarios?....it is possible that the T$$AA could make more money from a split...especially if they do public vs private championships and public vs private all-star games...like other states(PA) ...also as a whole it would make our state more competitive from a recruiting stand point, as there would be more private vs private games, and we all know that's where the college scouts go!!...As far as public studs getting recruited more, well 90% of the recruiting is happening at 5A-6A size schools, yet most of the privates (70%) are in the 1a-2a-3a divisions....so you end up with a school full of city boy's who have access to all sorts of extra curricular activities and leagues playing a bunch of country bumpkins who have to scrounge players up just to have enough to have a youth league, summer league, etc.

confucius say...this is strictly speculation, can you prove either of those 2 scenarios?....it is possible that the T$$AA could make more money from a split...especially if they do public vs private championships and public vs private all-star games...like other states(PA) ...also as a whole it would make our state more competitive from a recruiting stand point, as there would be more private vs private games, and we all know that's where the college scouts go!!...As far as public studs getting recruited more, well 90% of the recruiting is happening at 5A-6A size schools, yet most of the privates (70%) are in the 1a-2a-3a divisions....so you end up with a school full of city boy's who have access to all sorts of extra curricular activities and leagues playing a bunch of country bumpkins who have to scrounge players up just to have enough to have a youth league, summer league, etc.

Not saying you are right or wrong. Honestly, I think some of what you are saying is probably true. But just like the poster you were responding to, what you are saying is also speculation. Neither if you bring any facts to the table just opinions.

Parental support means a ton, we had 1 projected starting lineman at weight training today. Its hit and miss with tons of kids in the public schools. I'm sure all of yours  are pretty much at every function. Its just 2 different worlds. That's why you can have an enrollment with half the kids of a public school and still be better.

The sad part is, we have the kids to field a strong team. Its very frustrating to the Coaches and the other hard working dedicated kids on the team.Dedication and commitment is not very well understood by at least half our kids.If we had mama,s and daddies that made sure the kids were there and working like our dedicated kids, we could be MUUUUCCCCHHHH BETTER.

So what you are saying is that the D1 privates should be kicked out because, according to you, the private school kids have more supportive parents?  Perhaps your dedicated kids should put on some peer pressure to their more lazy teammates. Don't blame the private schools because a good chunk of your teams kids don't show up to weight training.  Kicking the privates out won't solve any of the problems you seem to be encountering with the team you back.

Whether there is a public/private split or not, the one thing I've never fully understood is why the D1 privates are so strongly opposed to it? It seems like they don't want to play with other private schools just as bad as the public schools. Wouldn't they be joining with schools that they have more in common with than the publics? And probably would have less regular season travel and be able to build stronger local rivalries since most are in the bigger cities.

If there were a split, the school I back would only have two games against other local privates in town.  We would be spending half of our season traveling to Memphis or Nashville to play against other privates.  Nope, not a bunch of travel savings there.  Have you looked at the TSSAA D2A playoff brackets?  You could be traveling across the state for an early round playoff game.  Travel savings there?  Nope, I don't see any.

So what you are saying is that the D1 privates should be kicked out because, according to you, the private school kids have more supportive parents? Perhaps your dedicated kids should put on some peer pressure to their more lazy teammates. Don't blame the private schools because a good chunk of your teams kids don't show up to weight training. Kicking the privates out won't solve any of the problems you seem to be encountering with the team you back.

Missing scheduled practice or weight lifting is not acceptable at Wayne Co., the coaches take it very seriously and it plays a big part in how much playing time a player gets. But it don't seem to be much of a problem down here because these boys eat and sleep football!

If there were a split, the school I back would only have two games against other local privates in town. We would be spending half of our season traveling to Memphis or Nashville to play against other privates. Nope, not a bunch of travel savings there. Have you looked at the TSSAA D2A playoff brackets? You could be traveling across the state for an early round playoff game. Travel savings there? Nope, I don't see any.

If you are in Jackson, I counted 11 Memphis schools that would probably be Class A in a two-class, completely split Division II. It 's all speculation but my guess is they'd keep 7 of those together and pair 4 of them with Jackson privates. I dont think 2 trips to Memphis per year in the regular season, then to Memphis or Nashville in the playoffs, would ruin any Jackson teams.

http://m.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/jun/20/local-tssaa-meeting-looks-at-classification-split/?sports

This is the kind of misunderstanding that is helping to prevent a split. The coach is worried he'd playing "500 to 700" enrollment schools. Actually right now his district includes Marion at about 520, but if there was a total split then a five or six class.divide, his region would likely only go to about 450. No Marion and certainly no Alcoa as was mentioned as possible. Someone in the TSSAA needs to present the ADs and coaches with some numbers, if not then just admit they as a whole.have no interest ever in a split.

Edited by Indian

If you are in Jackson, I counted 11 Memphis schools that would probably be Class A in a two-class, completely split Division II. It 's all speculation but my guess is they'd keep 7 of those together and pair 4 of them with Jackson privates. I dont think 2 trips to Memphis per year in the regular season, then to Memphis or Nashville in the playoffs, would ruin any Jackson teams.

Sir, in the D2A playoffs last season, USJ, in Jackson, TN, had to travel to Knoxville, TN for a second round playoff game against Webb.  Knoxville is just a TAD further away from Jackson than Memphis or Nashville for a playoff game.  

Edited by ReitzFan

So what you are saying is that the D1 privates should be kicked out because, according to you, the private school kids have more supportive parents?  Perhaps your dedicated kids should put on some peer pressure to their more lazy teammates. Don't blame the private schools because a good chunk of your teams kids don't show up to weight training.  Kicking the privates out won't solve any of the problems you seem to be encountering with the team you back.

I didn't say anyone should be kicked out of anything, just saying alot of small publics have the same trouble as we do.. If the split happened,both types of schools would be up against teams that operate the same way..I'm alot more like a private school parent, my kid makes every session and more, we have 5 or 6 who does the same. The rest comes when and if they want to and we usually have about 20, but its not always the same 20.Our kids as a whole just don't have parents thats dedicated to the cause. Its just 2 extremely different type schools.