Potential New 6 Classification Plan for 1A & 2A for 2015

riverrat

Clifton having a population of 3000 is what don't add up, the only thing I can figure is that all the out of towners that have camper lots along the river in Clifton are being counted in their population. Clifton is a very small town, probably one of the smallest in the state. I don't know the exact number of students at WC but it's around 300 give or take a few.

2012 it was 303. I'm sure you know alot more about Wayne Co than I do.

If there were a split, the school I back would only have two games against other local privates in town.  We would be spending half of our season traveling to Memphis or Nashville to play against other privates.  Nope, not a bunch of travel savings there.  Have you looked at the TSSAA D2A playoff brackets?  You could be traveling across the state for an early round playoff game.  Travel savings there?  Nope, I don't see any.

If you are in Jackson, I counted 11 Memphis schools that would probably be Class A in a two-class, completely split Division II. It 's all speculation but my guess is they'd keep 7 of those together and pair 4 of them with Jackson privates. I dont think 2 trips to Memphis per year in the regular season, then to Memphis or Nashville in the playoffs, would ruin any Jackson teams.

Read it again. A full split and there's no such first round or regular season travel. CPA, Nashville Christian etc would all be potential west bracket opponents. You could have a Knoxville group, a Chattanooga group, a midstate group, 2 Nashville groups, a Jackson-Memphis group then a Memphis group. That would make for a ton of exciting playoff games.

What Indian is saying is sort of what I was thinking. If it would work out that way for a Jackson school, for example, with only a couple trips to Memphis a year and fill out the rest of your team's regular season with more local schools, isn't that fairly reasonable overall travel?

Using Yahoo maps, its 88 miles from Jackson to Memphis.

We know about travel too. As it is now, the school I back (Forrest) has been making regular season non-region trips to places like Collinwood (82 miles), Perry Co. (76 miles), White House Heritage (72 miles) & Clarksville Acad. (94 miles) in recent years anyway. And one of our traditional region rivals is Huntland (58 miles).

And the new proposals without a split have us looking at trips to Smith Co. (80 miles) & Jackson Co. (112 miles).

If nothing else it would be interesting to see how a full public private split would look on paper and see what affect it would have on travel.

I think the Jackson schools would not have it that bad. For example, TCA would probably be in a district with USJ and JCS, both in town games. Also would probably have Fayette Academy and Tipton-Rosemark which are both 40-45 min drives. You factor in a couple of Memphis teams which you would only have to drive to every other year and you have your district schedule. 3-4 non-district games against local public schools and you have a 10 game season with not a whole lot if travel. Just my two cents though.

Edited by BIGPURPLEMACHINE

I think the Jackson schools would not have it that bad. For example, TCA would probably be in a district with USJ and JCS, both in town games. Also would probably have Fayette Academy and Tipton-Rosemark which are both 40-45 min drives. You factor in a couple of Memphis teams which you would only have to drive to every other year and you have your district schedule. 3-4 non-district games against local public schools and you have a 10 game season with not a whole lot if travel. Just my two 

Edited by ReitzFan

I think the Jackson schools would not have it that bad. For example, TCA would probably be in a district with USJ and JCS, both in town games. Also would probably have Fayette Academy and Tipton-Rosemark which are both 40-45 min drives. You factor in a couple of Memphis teams which you would only have to drive to every other year and you have your district schedule. 3-4 non-district games against local public schools and you have a 10 game season with not a whole lot if travel. Just my two cents though.

I can tell you that it takes longer than 45 minutes by bus to travel to Fayette Academy and Tipton Rosemark.  While I am confident that TCA would travel to these places well, the same can't be said for teams like Tipton Rosemark, Rossville Christian, and others when they have come to Jackson to play USJ.  You can here the crickets chirping on the visitors side.  Last year when St. George's came to Jackson, they did not fill up the visitors stands at TCA and St. George's was the state runnerup in D2A.  

As far as scheduling non district games against local teams, it's not as easy as you might think.  We got games against SGCHS and JCM, but we had to schedule "UP" to get the game.  Finding games against similar sized schools with quality teams is not that easy in West Tennessee when you are a private.  

I looked at the population of Waynesboro and Hampton, Waynesboro was 2,439, Hamptons was 4266. Our last enrollment figures were 429. By those numbers our school should have abourt 2 times the enrollment. 2 times the enrollment and half as many kids playing don't make good sense.

Looked at the population of Clifton and it was nearly 3,000, Frank Hughes only had 96 kids, Some thing just don't add up. You or someone are getting their kids before Highschool. You must have alot more boys than girlls ,lol

He's telling you the straight of it pujo...Scotts Hill isn't that far from Clifton and/or Waynesboro, and no scuttlebutt about transfer violations or WC "stealing" players from outside the greater Waynesboro area that I remember. As for the girls to boys ratio...check the Lady 'Cats record...if they're not large in number, the few there know something about roundball!

I can tell you that it takes longer than 45 minutes by bus to travel to Fayette Academy and Tipton Rosemark.  While I am confident that TCA would travel to these places well, the same can't be said for teams like Tipton Rosemark, Rossville Christian, and others when they have come to Jackson to play USJ.  You can here the crickets chirping on the visitors side.  Last year when St. George's came to Jackson, they did not fill up the visitors stands at TCA and St. George's was the state runnerup in D2A.  

As far as scheduling non district games against local teams, it's not as easy as you might think.  We got games against SGCHS and JCM, but we had to schedule "UP" to get the game.  Finding games against similar sized schools with quality teams is not that easy in West Tennessee when you are a private.  

Trenton Peabody, Humboldt, Huntingdon, Dresden, Adamsville, Riverside, and Bruceton are "quality" teams within easy distance of Jackson who would accommodate you , and Middleton, Adamsville, Scotts Hill, and Riverside (15A public teams) are all comparable road games to Fayette Academy and Tipton Rosemark, if not further. List the mileage between 15A schools and TCA, then do the same with USJ, JCS, Fayette Academy, Rossville Christian, Tipton Rosemark, and if necessary to balance out a district, a Memphis area team or two. Bet the potential private district mileage isn't an issue after comparing apples to apples.

Also...you're now critical of the private school's fans travel habits...the "crickets" comment is a far cry from the "you publics need the privates gate money" stance that you've taken when arguing why there shouldn't be a total split in the past.

Edited by tradertwo

Trenton Peabody, Humboldt, Huntingdon, Dresden, Adamsville, Riverside, and Bruceton are "quality" teams within easy distance of Jackson who would accommodate you , and Middleton, Adamsville, Scotts Hill, and Riverside (15A public teams) are all comparable road games to Fayette Academy and Tipton Rosemark, if not further. List the mileage between 15A schools and TCA, then do the same with USJ, JCS, Fayette Academy, Rossville Christian, Tipton Rosemark, and if necessary to balance out a district, a Memphis area team or two. Bet the potential private district mileage isn't an issue after comparing apples to apples.

Also...you're now critical of the private school's fans travel habits...the "crickets" comment is a far cry from the "you publics need the privates gate money" stance that you've taken when arguing why there shouldn't be a total split in the past.

Trader, here's the bottom line for me as to why I want TCA to stay in D1. If you win a state championship in DIIA you haven't accomplished nearly as much as a championship in division 1 class 2A. Sixty teams versus 22 teams. Yes, D2 has ECS, Knox Webb, and St George's that are powerhouses but other than that it's weak. 2a has Trousdale, Adamsville, Trenton, Mitchell, Knox Grace, Boyd, Hampton, Goodpasture and on and on. Much bigger accomplishment to win 2A. Travel doesn't bother me except during playoffs if we were D2. Public schools recruit as bad as privates. Madison county is open enrollment. You should see the recruiting that goes on for the stud 8th graders in the Middle Schools. No different than a private trying to recruit. TSSAA needs to be consistent all the way around.

Trenton Peabody, Humboldt, Huntingdon, Dresden, Adamsville, Riverside, and Bruceton are "quality" teams within easy distance of Jackson who would accommodate you , and Middleton, Adamsville, Scotts Hill, and Riverside (15A public teams) are all comparable road games to Fayette Academy and Tipton Rosemark, if not further. List the mileage between 15A schools and TCA, then do the same with USJ, JCS, Fayette Academy, Rossville Christian, Tipton Rosemark, and if necessary to balance out a district, a Memphis area team or two. Bet the potential private district mileage isn't an issue after comparing apples to apples.

Also...you're now critical of the private school's fans travel habits...the "crickets" comment is a far cry from the "you publics need the privates gate money" stance that you've taken when arguing why there shouldn't be a total split in the past.

I will echo the thoughts of TCA Intense as to why I would rather stay in D1.  Not going to rehash it cause he said it pretty well.  As far as the "crickets" comments go, it's a known fact that most Memphis teams, do not travel well.  Any team in 15A, including SH and Middleton travel better than a couple of the Memphis privates listed.  And if you want me to go further, I also want to stay in D1 because even our games against Scotts Hill and Middleton provide us with better teams to play against than RC and TR ever would.  I have been to TR and have traveled by RC.  Trust me when I say that a road trip to Scotts Hill is a much easier drive than a road trip to either of those two places listed.