Potential New 6 Classification Plan for 1A & 2A for 2015

riverrat

Let's take a look at how this Super 32 plan that according to Mr. Childress looks like it is going to pass this week can effect 1A and 2A.

In class 1A, there would be one proposed region that would have all of its teams qualify for the playoffs every year (1-1A only has 4 proposed teams in it).  Thus, there is the "potential" for a zero win team to make the playoffs under the new proposal.  One other proposed region in 1A would only have 5 teams in it and there is the distinct possibility that a playoff team out of that district would only have one win on the season and yet be in the playoffs.  1A would have 5 proposed regions that would have 8 teams in each region.  

In the proposed 2A class, there would be one region with only 5 teams in it.  Two regions would have 6 teams, two would have 7 teams and there would be three proposed regions with 8 teams in them.

It has us (cosby) proposed 2A. If they recount the enrollment numbers..which they are, we will be in that 1A region to give it 5 teams. I would think that a few others may as well drop down. Alcoa should voluntarily play up..I think they will and TSSAA will just have to say the heck with trying to cut down on travel and split the regions up with even numbers. everything they have done in the past to help with travel has failed miserably anyway.

It has us (cosby) proposed 2A. If they recount the enrollment numbers..which they are, we will be in that 1A region to give it 5 teams. I would think that a few others may as well drop down. Alcoa should voluntarily play up..I think they will and TSSAA will just have to say the heck with trying to cut down on travel and split the regions up with even numbers. everything they have done in the past to help with travel has failed miserably anyway.

enrollment goes up and down at all the school's,they'll just have to wait and see the #s before they could determine where everyone would be.

Yep.....and who knows what those numbers will be?  I could care less what division we are in if the private schools were shipped into a division that operates under the same rules as everyone else, which by this point everyone should know that isn't the case.  Using a big word like multiplier or non-athletic scholarship is just eye candy.  It has been years now and a blind man could see the difference in an unlevel playing field.  You build facilities as nice as GCA's and they are going to get more than their fair share of kids that want to play there.  Located in a large area in which to draw them in and presto....instant success!  Someone has a fat pocket in that board and an inititive to get their way or we wouldn't have this fiasco every couple of years.  Some sports are, for all intents and purposes, virtually monopolized by the private schools in the lower divisions.  Are those guys ever going to get tired of handing out championship balls to letters (GCA, CAK) instead of names.

Kaz

Yep.....and who knows what those numbers will be?  I could care less what division we are in if the private schools were shipped into a division that operates under the same rules as everyone else, which by this point everyone should know that isn't the case.  Using a big word like multiplier or non-athletic scholarship is just eye candy.  It has been years now and a blind man could see the difference in an unlevel playing field.  You build facilities as nice as GCA's and they are going to get more than their fair share of kids that want to play there.  Located in a large area in which to draw them in and presto....instant success!  Someone has a fat pocket in that board and an inititive to get their way or we wouldn't have this fiasco every couple of years.  Some sports are, for all intents and purposes, virtually monopolized by the private schools in the lower divisions.  Are those guys ever going to get tired of handing out championship balls to letters (GCA, CAK) instead of names.

Kaz

If Alcoa ends up in 2a,I look for the 2a privates to go to d2.They could load up and come back anytime they wanted to. They do have the ability to bypass an Alcoa if they are determined enough.Its all about any of these privates mission. Seems the TSSAA changes things on a regular basis,but they ignore the very things that needs changing. As far as Iknow ,no one proposed a super 6 6a class, only proposal I know of was a public and private split.

If you had regions with equal or nearly equal numbers, you could end up with a team having all of their region games two hours away. That doesn't seem too fair either. If they wanted the Top 32 system (and some of those arent powerhouses despite the enrollment) they still could have compressed the other groups into four instead of five, spreading things out and leading to uneven region numbers. They should look at other sports too why just rearrange football, and the total split clearly needs to take place too.

If you had regions with equal or nearly equal numbers, you could end up with a team having all of their region games two hours away. That doesn't seem too fair either. If they wanted the Top 32 system (and some of those arent powerhouses despite the enrollment) they still could have compressed the other groups into four instead of five, spreading things out and leading to uneven region numbers. They should look at other sports too why just rearrange football, and the total split clearly needs to take place too.

Something I thought of is if you are going to have 32 in 6a,do the same with 5a and then split the rest up in 4 classes.

The one I like the best is leave it just like it is with a tital split. Wish I could make the rules.

You really think Alcoa is going to play up a classification? I would be surprised.

Kaz

You have said it all. Small rural schools and schools in the inner city are getting the shaft. It will continue. No matter cause the TSSAA has not the courage or conviction to do the right thing. The big schools do not care because it is structured not to affect them. Maryville does not have to play Ensworth but a school like Tellico plays GCA every year. Grundy and Sequatchie have to play Norte Dame. Look at what has happened to all the inner city schools in Chattanooga and Knoxville.....Those athletes are not all at Fulton.

The powerful tuition based open zoned schools can be competitive with the privates.

Private schools have dominated golf, tennis, and soccer. The top two baseball teams in the state are less than 1 mile from each other.

As long as school administrators across the state continue to allow Bernard Childress to lead the TSSAA, private and large public schools will continue to dictate the direction of all high schools in the state.

• Upvote 1