Potential New 6 Classification Plan for 1A & 2A for 2015

riverrat

Actually, it will reduce the overall number of public teams, which will then be divided according to whatever plan ( if not changed, divided into three equal divisions ) is agreed upon by TSSAA.

Agree that this is how they'd do it, but always wondered if there is any rule that says they have to have equal divisions?

Let's say after dividing into 3 divisions, there are 12 schools (just picking a number) at the bottom of Class AA that are a lot closer in enrollment to the Class A schools than school 13.

Why not just keep them in Class A? And do the same with dividing the AA to AAA classes.

If it makes the enrollments more balanced, and it's workable when dividing up the regions, is it that big a deal if Class A had 12 more schools or Class AAA had 14 fewer?

It will be this years numbers.I'm sure  about all schools go up and down from year to year .It really only effects the borderline teams. I hope they don't go with that 6 class thing. 4 Classes and a  complete split is the option i like, Only problem with that is, they didn't list that as an option.

Coach from Macon County presented a 4 class plan for all sports in' 96. Board of Control liked it. Ronnie Carter shot it down.

Agree that this is how they'd do it, but always wondered if there is any rule that says they have to have equal divisions?

Let's say after dividing into 3 divisions, there are 12 schools (just picking a number) at the bottom of Class AA that are a lot closer in enrollment to the Class A schools than school 13.

Why not just keep them in Class A? And do the same with dividing the AA to AAA classes.

If it makes the enrollments more balanced, and it's workable when dividing up the regions, is it that big a deal if Class A had 12 more schools or Class AAA had 14 fewer?

Doesn't really matter if there's a current rule, TSSAA is the governing body as far as rules go. I understand the concept of more closely matching enrollment numbers, but then you involve the "human equation" into the process ( politics ). There's really no way to manipulate the outcome of a reclassification with the current system...yes, maybe one school has 522 students and another 523 but fall into different classifications via the one student...it doesn't seem "fair" that school A competes against only schools smaller than them while school B faces only larger ones, but at least it's a constant, and decided by numbers only.  

• 2 weeks later...

"IF" (looks like it will, eventually) the split happens, I'd be in favor of leaving the classes as they are for at least two years, then changing if necessary. Two separate issues being tinkered with at once muddles the outcome. Competition wise three classes for publics and two private would make sense, but will never happen for losing TSSAA's championship games for the sub classes (1A/2A, 3A/4A, 5A/6A), and everyone knows what weight the almighty dollar carries with TSSAA.

I really think that the privates(especially the smaller division)stand to be improved most of all...no more long travels for playoff games, and the gap between top teams and weaker ones would be reduced immediately.

Edited by tradertwo

Guest hevyrevy1611

Please educate me... I found some raw facts (which I'll be asking questions on) about this whole private vs public split AND about how many classes to have. Facts are: From 1969 thru 1992 all schools only had 3 classes (so I assume private and public undivided?). Then 1993 thru 1996 they changed and had both in five classes (1A-5A) (to give smaller schools a chance? Number of schools in bigger population base dictated it? Why increase in number of classes?). Then a split, in 1997 began division of public (Div. I) and private (Div.II), which lasts to this day. Div.I public stayed 5 classes thru 2008, but Div II had two classes from 97 thru 2001, changed to 3 classes from 2002-2006, then back to 2 classes until today. (So why up and down of Div.II classes? Why split in 1997?.. were privates winning most of championships? Deemed to have an unfair advantage? What was motive?). Then in 2009 changed to current 6 classes and the Div II for privates. So, since 1997, do privates have a choice where they want to play? Either Div I or Div II? And there were 5 classes (1A-5A) from 1993 thru 2008 for public (and privates who played with), so why increase to 6 classes (1A-6A) in Div.I in 2009? Give smaller schools a chance at winning? Does KISS apply anywhere (keep it short and simple?). Seems that putting all schools private or public into enrollment sized classes is best KISS principle, I like 6 classes, but a 5 class like old-way fine too. 3 classes just not fair it seems. On this thread I see lots of WHAT to do... but no WHY do it? Reason and motive seems to be key to me. But looking at past, there already was a split in 1997. Or what was it that happened? Is it that things are still under TSSAA administrative control, is that the rub and issue? So summary: 3 classes for all schools from 69-92, then increased to 5 classes from 93-2008 (with some privates going to own division in 97.. but why? And they start with 2, go up to 3 then down to 2 classes again .. why? Can privates choose either Div I or Div II status? Or is that chosen for them?). Then current groupings started in 2009, 6 classes. Why is 6 classes a problem? I just don't get it... sigh.. and I reading these posts, look at facts of history.. just so many questions now. So who clamored for any changes in past (there been a few indeed!)? What was the motive/ logic/ purpose/ reasoning behind these "improvements"? And why needing more change again? This old fogey who's not informed on all things Tenn H.S. football just confused and befuddled. As usual. Ha. There have been changes.. but yet still unhappy campers. Why?