Potential New 6 Classification Plan for 1A & 2A for 2015

riverrat

Guest hevyrevy1611

confucius say...^^^^too long didn't read^^^^

what a sad admission to a shallow mind. I have read posts of yours that are exponentially larger, so yeah. Readers are leaders and leaders are readers. Betcha you can watch TV or play games for countless hours. But can't read for a few minutes. What a revelation for those with eyes to see.

what a sad admission to a shallow mind. I have read posts of yours that are exponentially larger, so yeah. Readers are leaders and leaders are readers. Betcha you can watch TV or play games for countless hours. But can't read for a few minutes. What a revelation for those with eyes to see.

Hevy, good post! Don't worry about Chang.... He can't read!!

Guest hevyrevy1611

confucius say...^^^^too long didn't read^^^^

you are not worthy of that moniker you have. Confucius' wisdom (the real person) came in part from his voracious reading. You must have the name as a wannabe wise-one but never will be since you can't (or wont) read. Amazing. Edited by hevyrevy1611

you are not worthy of that moniker you have. Confucius' wisdom (the real person) came in part from his voracious reading. You must have the name as a wannabe wise-one but never will be since you can't (or wont) read. Amazing.

confucius say...i started reading it...but decided i couldn't miss watching my children grow up...some things are just more impotent!! :roflolk:

Please educate me... I found some raw facts (which I'll be asking questions on) about this whole private vs public split AND about how many classes to have. Facts are: From 1969 thru 1992 all schools only had 3 classes (so I assume private and public undivided?). Then 1993 thru 1996 they changed and had both in five classes (1A-5A) (to give smaller schools a chance? Number of schools in bigger population base dictated it? Why increase in number of classes?). Then a split, in 1997 began division of public (Div. I) and private (Div.II), which lasts to this day. Div.I public stayed 5 classes thru 2008, but Div II had two classes from 97 thru 2001, changed to 3 classes from 2002-2006, then back to 2 classes until today. (So why up and down of Div.II classes? Why split in 1997?.. were privates winning most of championships? Deemed to have an unfair advantage? What was motive?). Then in 2009 changed to current 6 classes and the Div II for privates. So, since 1997, do privates have a choice where they want to play? Either Div I or Div II? And there were 5 classes (1A-5A) from 1993 thru 2008 for public (and privates who played with), so why increase to 6 classes (1A-6A) in Div.I in 2009? Give smaller schools a chance at winning? Does KISS apply anywhere (keep it short and simple?). Seems that putting all schools private or public into enrollment sized classes is best KISS principle, I like 6 classes, but a 5 class like old-way fine too. 3 classes just not fair it seems. On this thread I see lots of WHAT to do... but no WHY do it? Reason and motive seems to be key to me. But looking at past, there already was a split in 1997. Or what was it that happened? Is it that things are still under TSSAA administrative control, is that the rub and issue? So summary: 3 classes for all schools from 69-92, then increased to 5 classes from 93-2008 (with some privates going to own division in 97.. but why? And they start with 2, go up to 3 then down to 2 classes again .. why? Can privates choose either Div I or Div II status? Or is that chosen for them?). Then current groupings started in 2009, 6 classes. Why is 6 classes a problem? I just don't get it... sigh.. and I reading these posts, look at facts of history.. just so many questions now. So who clamored for any changes in past (there been a few indeed!)? What was the motive/ logic/ purpose/ reasoning behind these "improvements"? And why needing more change again? This old fogey who's not informed on all things Tenn H.S. football just confused and befuddled. As usual. Ha. There have been changes.. but yet still unhappy campers. Why?

-Until the 93 season, there were 3 classes. One reason for a switch was to get more teams in the playoffs, only 2 from a district hurt strong districts with several good teams. Once, the team here finished 8-2 and I believe allowed more than 1 touchdown only twice all year, both of those in the district losses to very talented teams.

-Changes in the number of classes in Division II were probably due to the number of teams competing. With all private schools in, they could be done more equally in Division II. The top class with MBA etc would probably not change much but travel would be much better in the smaller class or smaller two classes.

-Brentwood Academy winning the largest class in football, beating 2,500-student schools with an enrollment of about 400, certainly helped move the partial split forward. Other private schools were doing well too.

-Private schools "which do not offer aid to athletes" have the choice to play in Division I. Some seem to get around it.

-Six classes is an issue due to the travel involved with schools spread out wide. If you go six classes in the playoffs, with three in the regular season, a playoff formula which can be confusing has to be used since districts usually don't have an equal number for their two playoff classes (1A and 2A in Class A playoffs, for example).

My approach would be to try 4 classes in all football, basketball, baseball and softball. Divide by the number of football schools in football, since some schools don't have that sport. Go to a complete split and let the private schools make their own classifications. If they feel small non-aid schools can't compete with the small aid schools, then divide further. It's hard to think a CAK couldn't compete in Division II small, aid or not.

A different, radical step that would help take care of multipliers, open zoning concerns, would be to divide teams on their success, not by school enrollment. An Alcoa could eventually rise up to the top class, for example, if they were not immediately placed there due to past success.

Edited by Indian

Guest hevyrevy1611

:D THANK YOU Indian for a wise, well-reasoned response to help clear up my fog. So privates claiming to not offer aid but still find loopholes seems to be a big issue, along with open zoned publics. Trying to find a level playing field that's fair and equal to everyone is tougher than it looks! I understand private side too, but I say split, have their own deal, THEN, at end of year let private winners play public champs in a bowl game for each division. A "grand champion" of sorts. Dividing by success and records is something I question (out of ignorance no doubt) since that is so cyclical, it just wouldn't work imo. 4 classes eh? Hmmm, that may work. Is TSSAA board members/ deciders appointed? Elected by public? Or tapped on shoulder and asked to join? Are they accountable and subject to anyone, or get to be judge, jury, executioner regardless of wishes/ will of people?

-Until the 93 season, there were 3 classes. One reason for a switch was to get more teams in the playoffs, only 2 from a district hurt strong districts with several good teams. Once, the team here finished 8-2 and I believe allowed more than 1 touchdown only twice all year, both of those in the district losses to very talented teams.

-Changes in the number of classes in Division II were probably due to the number of teams competing. With all private schools in, they could be done more equally in Division II. The top class with MBA etc would probably not change much but travel would be much better in the smaller class or smaller two classes.

-Brentwood Academy winning the largest class in football, beating 2,500-student schools with an enrollment of about 400, certainly helped move the partial split forward. Other private schools were doing well too.

-Private schools "which do not offer aid to athletes" have the choice to play in Division I. Some seem to get around it.

-Six classes is an issue due to the travel involved with schools spread out wide. If you go six classes in the playoffs, with three in the regular season, a playoff formula which can be confusing has to be used since districts usually don't have an equal number for their two playoff classes (1A and 2A in Class A playoffs, for example).

My approach would be to try 4 classes in all football, basketball, baseball and softball. Divide by the number of football schools in football, since some schools don't have that sport. Go to a complete split and let the private schools make their own classifications. If they feel small non-aid schools can't compete with the small aid schools, then divide further. It's hard to think a CAK couldn't compete in Division II small, aid or not.

A different, radical step that would help take care of multipliers, open zoning concerns, would be to divide teams on their success, not by school enrollment. An Alcoa could eventually rise up to the top class, for example, if they were not immediately placed there due to past success.

Edited by hevyrevy1611

The class AAA schools don't give a care since there are none in that group. They shouldn't have a say in it.

Two sides to that issue Indian..."taxation without representation", the AAA schools relinquish their pound of flesh to TSSAA just like everyone else, therefore deserve a vote...I doubt that the best interest of the "system" will be upheld by their vote, as the only effect on the AAA schools would be battling privates to keep their players (if you believe some of the rumors that the privates would form their own association, and that recruiting would accelerate).

True democracy only works if everyone with a vote educates themselves about the issue and votes with the best interest for all involved in mind, otherwise it's just a glorified "mob rule". I prefer a republic...elect representatives that you trust to defend your interest, and let them decide the issue. Tennessee is divided into three grand divisions with three classes per...nine "delegates" to vote whether to split, to reclassify, and how the classification would work... too simple?

Edited by tradertwo

• 3 weeks later...