2014 Class 6A Coaches Poll

AllRegion

Balance is a dirty word in high school football. If a team cant stop you from running the football, then why stop, just for sake of being balanced? Oakland won state in 2008 attempting 1 pass. Several Riverdale teams under Rankin won and barely threw the football. A team has to do what they do best, otherwise they are just cheating themselves

Yes, but you have to add ALL of Rankin's teams did know how to throw if they had to. Add to this they knew how to pass block or they did not play. Also add to the equation that he did NOT have to play the majority of his players BOTH ways as he had multiple teams ready to shuffle in and out. This for both Offense and Defense. The Freshmen did NOT have to play varsity until the Freshmen season was over also.

Take the 2004 championship team. Offensive line was a fully 6 squad deep except for centers for the 5th and 6th lines. Defense line was fully 4 deep. At least 30 minutes EVERYDAY centered on various aspects of the kicking game alone.

Being able to run is great, but you have to be respected to pass also or teams will load the box constantly and kill your WingT. This has been shown constantly against R'dale since Rankin left.

Yes, but you have to add ALL of Rankin's teams did know how to throw if they had to. Add to this they knew how to pass block or they did not play. Also add to the equation that he did NOT have to play the majority of his players BOTH ways as he had multiple teams ready to shuffle in and out. This for both Offense and Defense. The Freshmen did NOT have to play varsity until the Freshmen season was over also.

Take the 2004 championship team. Offensive line was a fully 6 squad deep except for centers for the 5th and 6th lines. Defense line was fully 4 deep. At least 30 minutes EVERYDAY centered on various aspects of the kicking game alone.

Being able to run is great, but you have to be respected to pass also or teams will load the box constantly and kill your WingT. This has been shown constantly against R'dale since Rankin left.

So true

I don't believe a scheme will lose a game nor do I think that it will win it either. It has everything to do with the personnel (coaches and players) and the execution. Everything else is just a side item on the menu.

I agree with KWC. It is not about the scheme; it is about the execution players and coaches.

Sounds like Gwave1 has a problem with Hendersonville to me

Let me educate you just a bit. In the late 90's there was a different site that had a message board. I was posting over there for a few years and this exact same topic of the wing-t winning state championships came up. I looked it up and found that there were no state titles won at the highest level in Tennessee by running the wing-t. Other posters talked about other states and of course Cleveland in 4-A but none could argue that nobody had done it in 5-A or 3-A when those were the top classes. I got turned on to this website in the early 2000's by a Blackman Blaze fan, who no longer posts anymore. Every year this topic comes up and it's the same ole same ole, Cleveland or Georgia or what if Riverdale or what if Maryville or what if whomever. It doesn't matter. For the last 16 or so years this topic comes up I state the FACT that it hasn't been done and every year since I have been correct. So say what you want too but the fact remains the same! Maybe one day somebody will do it. I would think Roger Perry, Hatfield and Adelote would be prime candidates to do it because they are some of the best. Hendersonville has the talent to do it this year. But I will bet against them if they make it. Prove me wrong!!!

And no I do not like the Commandos.

• Upvote 1

I disagree that Hendersonville has state championship level talent this year. Only four or so 6A teams can somewhat reasonably make that claim.

Who do you think represents the West. I would say Hendersonville and Whitehaven are my top 2. Maybe a Franklin or if a Rutherford County school happens to go West. Other side I would choose Maryville, Oakland or Blackman.

Who do you think represents the West. I would say Hendersonville and Whitehaven are my top 2. Maybe a Franklin or if a Rutherford County school happens to go West. Other side I would choose Maryville, Oakland or Blackman.

A little early to know, but I would say that's pretty accurate.

From the east I'm picking Maryville or Oakland. If Blackman or Oakland happens to go west, I would pick them to play in the championship game. If they don't, I see either Whitehaven or White Station to advance from that side of the bracket. Whitehaven should be very strong this year, so they get the nod from me. I don't disagree that Hendersonville is among the contenders, and it definitely helps that they're on the west side of the bracket. I just don't think they could ever beat a Maryville or Oakland to win gold this year

From the east I'm picking Maryville or Oakland. If Blackman or Oakland happens to go west, I would pick them to play in the championship game. If they don't, I see either Whitehaven or White Station to advance from that side of the bracket. Whitehaven should be very strong this year, so they get the nod from me. I don't disagree that Hendersonville is among the contenders, and it definitely helps that they're on the west side of the bracket. I just don't think they could ever beat a Maryville or Oakland to win gold this year

And definitely not with that WEAKT....