2014 Class 6A Coaches Poll

AllRegion

We don't run the Wing T. We are a spread option team. But interestingly enough we were a wing t team when we were at our best under meadows. Those offenses put up 30 or 40 points more than a few times. I think any type of offense can work if: it fits your players strengths and weaknesses, everyone knows what they are doing and their role, and you have good coaches and overall team discipline. If you don't have those things you aren't going to win with any offense, but if you do have those things you "Can" win with any offense.

Yep ..but a good pop pop pop defense will neutralize all that offense...whoever runs the WingT... Name the last State Champion....I know Benny Monroe ran it and won in the early 90's

the run is the #1 option....and the fact that MJ could run and throw means they had balance...and that is what you need in the championship game....

Balance is a dirty word in high school football. If a team cant stop you from running the football, then why stop, just for sake of being balanced? Oakland won state in 2008 attempting 1 pass. Several Riverdale teams under Rankin won and barely threw the football. A team has to do what they do best, otherwise they are just cheating themselves

Balance is a dirty word in high school football. If a team cant stop you from running the football, then why stop, just for sake of being balanced? Oakland won state in 2008 attempting 1 pass. Several Riverdale teams under Rankin won and barely threw the football. A team has to do what they do best, otherwise they are just cheating themselves

Maryville won a lot of championships by being balanced. I do agree that a great running game is awesome. Those 2 Alcoa teams that beat Maryville recently passed some but that was to keep defenses off balanced.

Maryville won a lot of championships by being balanced. I do agree that a great running game is awesome. Those 2 Alcoa teams that beat Maryville recently passed some but that was to keep defenses off balanced.

That is always kind of been Maryville's MO under Quarles though. I am arguing that balance for the sake of being balanced does not give you any better chance to win a title. No doubt times have changed and teams do have to throw a little bit, but if you have a truly great running game, throwing it more than 10-12 a game is just showing off

Sometimes what you do best don't work in the big game...and if you can't adjust you won't win...Great example about Oakland...Ooltewah lost to Oakland in the semis...they ran the ball down our throat....we had a scatback...they had 3 fullbacks....we could not make any adjustments because we couldn't throw the ball....West can score fast and early...we all knew who would get the ball....Henry County ran the ball also....but was able to throw when needed to move the ball....and like I stated earlier a good popping defense can neutralize anything you try to do on offense...West mercy ruled a team with the #1 qb in 5aaa who had over 2000 yds passing... over 1500 rushing and receiving but could not stop the run...I agree do what you did to get here...but be able to make adjustments.... 

That is always kind of been Maryville's MO under Quarles though. I am arguing that balance for the sake of being balanced does not give you any better chance to win a title. No doubt times have changed and teams do have to throw a little bit, but if you have a truly great running game, throwing it more than 10-12 a game is just showing off

Who said anything about being balanced for the sake of it?? If West had a little passing game they could have won that game...Once Henry shook up the main man..there was no other option..the throws I did see hit the turf before they made it to the receiver....I think they call them ducks....and they learned from 2013 that they need to be a little more BALANCED.....and looks like they are working on that...the qb looks to have a pretty good arm in the 7 on 7's...

A Good Defense and A legit QB wins titles in my opinion... Whitehaven Threw the ball 7 times against Maryville the year after we threw it 25 times against them... Sometimes you can put it all on the Running game but when you start talking about the Wing T, there are certain things that are blown up when you can get controlled penetration...Cross Buck, Buck Sweep, Quick trap, Dives, Triple Option and whatever else is ran from the Wing T will be shut DOWN with Controlled Penetration. You have to SPREAD a defense out sometimes... 

A Good Defense and A legit QB wins titles in my opinion... Whitehaven Threw the ball 7 times against Maryville the year after we threw it 25 times against them... Sometimes you can put it all on the Running game but when you start talking about the Wing T, there are certain things that are blown up when you can get controlled penetration...Cross Buck, Buck Sweep, Quick trap, Dives, Triple Option and whatever else is ran from the Wing T will be shut DOWN with Controlled Penetration. You have to SPREAD a defense out sometimes...

Maryville was just the superior team, it had nothing to do with the offense that was being run. I keep hearing of ways to stop the wing-t, an while there may be some truth to it, that offense if predicated on movement. While controlled penetration my stop part of it, it plays right into trap and belly. Like any other offense, it really comes down to philosophy, play calling and execution, not necessarily the formation you line up in.

I will bet against any wing-t team at the highest level in this state. Haven't lost yet!

Good thing you said this state. You would lose that bet in Georgia and some others. I will bet that if Maryville ran the wing-t they would have won. The wing-t can be run out of many formations,spreading the field and with all the passing game seen with spread teams. Most only recognize a wing-t offense with a TE and wing. The wing-t can be run with no TE's and one or 2 back sets. 

Good thing you said this state. You would lose that bet in Georgia and some others. I will bet that if Maryville ran the wing-t they would have won. The wing-t can be run out of many formations,spreading the field and with all the passing game seen with spread teams. Most only recognize a wing-t offense with a TE and wing. The wing-t can be run with no TE's and one or 2 back sets.

Agreed. My Govs had their best years running the Wing T under Meadows. They had a very good offense, especially in 07. If I remember correctly in 07 they scored 40 or more twice, 30 or more 3 times, and they scored 20 or more points the rest of the games except for 1, they lost 20-19 to maryville. Not too shabby right? The Wing T, like any offense, can be effective if executed properly. And yes teams can pass alot out of the wing t. If WB had won the title in 07 like they were capable of doing we wouldnt even be having this conversation.