Maryville... What are they doing different there?

Roba22

People can bash Maryville and Alcoa all they want and say they play "cupcakes". That's idiotic...when you are the top of your classification--everybody becomes a "cupcake". Jamborees don't mean a thing and comparing them to other States is really out-there.

When it comes down to it, you measure it all in Gold Trophies.

Tradition---Coaching----Expectations= Championship Formula

Not only is the coaching staff great, the coaching staff has zero turnover, which is a tribute to GQ & Company about how they get along.  (The teacher pay at Maryville is top notch which also helps keep coaches.) 

Several have mentioned the feeder programs.  The Maryville Youth Football league was started in 1964.  One of the head coaches of one of the 11&12s started that year and IS STILL THERE.  That's 51 seasons.  

Success builds sucess.  The formula isn't complex but it has many components, the most important is, IMHO, the coaching staff at MHS.

I hadn't seen Coach Sentell in a long time and then I got a chance to tell him thanks for all the great work he has done for our Community at the Blount Hall of Fame Banquet .... that Same thing can be said about Joey Winders , David Hunt , Danny & Ricky Maples and many , many others , you all know a lot more names than I do , buy I just want to Thank all these Men for the time they have given and also for being great Role Models for our Kids . I don't know how you guys do it ... It seems like I never have enough time and I don't do anything like all you guys do . Maryville , Alcoa and Really all of Blount county are very Lucky to have so many guys willing to give their time and energy . 

People can bash Maryville and Alcoa all they want and say they play "cupcakes". That's idiotic...when you are the top of your classification--everybody becomes a "cupcake". Jamborees don't mean a thing and comparing them to other States is really out-there.

When it comes down to it, you measure it all in Gold Trophies.

Tradition---Coaching----Expectations= Championship Formula

CUPCAKES RESIDE IN HIGH SCHOOL. COLLEGE, AND THE PROS...NOTHING NEW....

THAT'S WHY THE BCS DIDN'T WORK AND THIS NEW PLAYOFF SYSTEM IS QUESTIONABLE....THEY SAY THE ONLY UNDEFEATED TEAM IN THE NATION PLAYS A CUPCAKE SCHEDULE...AGREED?? IF YOU WAX EVERYBODY YOU PLAY THEY ARE ALL CUPCAKES.... AGREE???UNLESS YOU ARE IN THE SEC.... 

Another thing I don't understand is, after 15 years of success, why no other program is attempting to run Maryville's offense scheme. That has been the biggest mystery of all.

It doesn't matter what offensive scheme you run. If your kids don't know how to execute it properly it will be ineffective. I have heard people say the Wing-T is an inferior offense but if you look at Rhea Co you will change your mind. I watched them play OR the other night and OR just looked lost at times trying to defend against Rhea's perfectly executed wing-t offense.

Those teams he mentioned all play disciplined football as well, and are far more talented. I've watched football all around the Southeast over the years. Absolutely LOVE watching Murville play. They have this down to a science, but realistically, in most other Southeastern states, they're basically a good program who always makes the playoffs and maybe has a shot at winning a title from time to time. Nothing wrong with that. IMO (and has been already stated), their success starts early:

*Kids being taught fundamentals at an early age by guys who aren't daddies and their buddies coaching their kids and trying to run whatever kind of scheme they want to run.

*Just out organizing and out executing everyone else....

*Keeping kids coming out by developing players and getting them PT in games that have gotten out of hand early. You'd be surprised by the number of teams who don't start getting guys in until late 4th quarter in games that are in hand well before that....

*Great community support and the confidence that comes from years of winning. Every time these guys take the field, they EXPECT to win.....

*Great coaching staff...obviously....but just great overall organization....

Well said.

I think maryville has done a great job at what they do. a team with so much talent I would love to see them play some nationally ranked teams even if it's at the bottom half. I feel like if they're whooping up on Tennessee teams and winning gold balls they might as well whoop up on some out of town folks and get nationally recognized. It would be good for Tennessee sports. Blackman Oakland and pearl cohn are both playing 5&6 powerhouses/championship winning teams from Alabama this coming year. Do maryville or alcoa have a new game?

I think maryville has done a great job at what they do. a team with so much talent I would love to see them play some nationally ranked teams even if it's at the bottom half. I feel like if they're whooping up on Tennessee teams and winning gold balls they might as well whoop up on some out of town folks and get nationally recognized. It would be good for Tennessee sports. Blackman Oakland and pearl cohn are both playing 5&6 powerhouses/championship winning teams from Alabama this coming year. Do maryville or alcoa have a new game?

I see Maryville's name on these lists about 10 times .... I guess they have already been nationally recognized a time or 2 .... that and $1 might get ya a cup of Coffee . I did notice that the National Champion TN High Vikings beat a Team from VA in 1972 .... I guess that's why they won , crossing that State line gives you extra bonus points .... bout like finding one of those Secret hidden ways to get extra points in the Super Mario Brothers Arcade game !!

http://www.hsfdatabase.com/tennesseenationalrankings.htm

I know a lot of you guys are really caught up in " National rankings " and " National Attention " .... Listen to what George has to say around the 6 Minute mark and again at the 8 Minute mark . I agree with George in that some of my Proudest moments were when we lost ...  I remember walking off after the 2009 State Championship game ... a little down ... when I heard the announcer say "and second place Trophy goes to the Maryville Rebels" !!  I actually still get chill bumps just thinking about it ... the Entire Team ran out there , grabbed that trophy like it was the Super bowl championship Trophy and Held it high for our Fans ... that was by far the loudest I had cheered all year ... Since 1997 Maryville has played for the State Championship game every year but 1999, & 2003 ... we have seen a little bit of everything when the second place teams have been called out , some have refused to even get it , some stomped , some threw Helmets ... I think a lot of you guys want to start treating high school kids like College ... I've heard Peyton Manning Booed at a College game ... most of these kids will never Play College Football , our QB last year John Garrett was one of the best High school QB's i've ever seen , he is not playing College Football . 

There's some Haters out there that just want to find some way to make these boys who are working so hard to Live up to the History and Tradition of Maryville Football feel bad about what they're doing , and now there's a growing group that wants to try and make these Boys feel like even winning a State Championship is not enough ... truly pitiful that Grown men would do that . I'm really thankful for George Quarles , he gets it . 

It doesn't matter what offensive scheme you run. If your kids don't know how to execute it properly it will be ineffective. I have heard people say the Wing-T is an inferior offense but if you look at Rhea Co you will change your mind. I watched them play OR the other night and OR just looked lost at times trying to defend against Rhea's perfectly executed wing-t offense.

Well of course and I am not saying that Maryville's scheme is the main reason for their success.  The guy coaching it is.  However, with the success that Maryville has had with their offensive system, I am still surprised that no one else has adopted it.

I see Maryville's name on these lists about 10 times .... I guess they have already been nationally recognized a time or 2 .... that and $1 might get ya a cup of Coffee . I did notice that the National Champion TN High Vikings beat a Team from VA in 1972 .... I guess that's why they won , crossing that State line gives you extra bonus points .... bout like finding one of those Secret hidden ways to get extra points in the Super Mario Brothers Arcade game !!

http://www.hsfdatabase.com/tennesseenationalrankings.htm

I know a lot of you guys are really caught up in " National rankings " and " National Attention " .... Listen to what George has to say around the 6 Minute mark and again at the 8 Minute mark . I agree with George in that some of my Proudest moments were when we lost ...  I remember walking off after the 2009 State Championship game ... a little down ... when I heard the announcer say "and second place Trophy goes to the Maryville Rebels" !!  I actually still get chill bumps just thinking about it ... the Entire Team ran out there , grabbed that trophy like it was the Super bowl championship Trophy and Held it high for our Fans ... that was by far the loudest I had cheered all year ... Since 1997 Maryville has played for the State Championship game every year but 1999, & 2003 ... we have seen a little bit of everything when the second place teams have been called out , some have refused to even get it , some stomped , some threw Helmets ... I think a lot of you guys want to start treating high school kids like College ... I've heard Peyton Manning Booed at a College game ... most of these kids will never Play College Football , our QB last year John Garrett was one of the best High school QB's i've ever seen , he is not playing College Football . 

There's some Haters out there that just want to find some way to make these boys who are working so hard to Live up to the History and Tradition of Maryville Football feel bad about what they're doing , and now there's a growing group that wants to try and make these Boys feel like even winning a State Championship is not enough ... truly pitiful that Grown men would do that . I'm really thankful for George Quarles , he gets it . 

Thank you for sharing pep! Makes me an even bigger fan! Coach Q does get it! 

The one word that has not been used to describe the MHS football program is classless. I have looked on other threads and haven't seen it either. Some of us on here are rubbed the wrong way when it comes to their fans gloating. But the program, looking from the outside in, is pretty solid.

Edited by milo118

The one word that has not been used to describe the MHS football program is classless. I have looked on other threads and haven't seen it either. Some of us on here are rubbed the wrong way when it comes to their fans gloating. But the program itself is solid from the outside looking in.

Most of the "fans" are not Maryville people. Most of the ones saying Marvyille will do this or that are for other schools. I just want a W.