State Semifinal: Maryville at Oakland

BigDave1967

My bad, this comment above was for NotreDame66.

I have witness the Maryville machine before as playing them and watching them as a fan.I am telling you, they are on a whole nother level. Most if not all Maryville fans will agree, Quarles was quoted as saying this might be his best defense. You will see something you have not seen this year Oakland. Nothing against Oakland, but you guys better play lights out and mistake free. I know Rutherford County and Murfreesboro area real well with family living down there. I am telling you Maryville is ready.

Edited by tennesseestud2013

ND... as a fan I would love to see those games, but at what point can Maryville stop trying to prove itself? When I was in high school, around the time this website started, everyone clamored that 4A Maryville would not win a title against 5A teams and that their schedule was weak. Several years later we bumped up to 6A and faced many of the teams that their fans claimed we wouldn't beat. Now that we're in the highest classification in the state, and we're still consistently in the state championship game, many fans are clamoring that Maryville should be playing Ensworth or out of state powerhouses. I know that to be the best you have to beat the best, but I think that Maryville has proven itself enough and shouldn't have to run out and play out of state teams or private schools in order to prove themselves.[/quotethsnk you

Thanks for civil response and I agree especially the 5a to 6a move -

Your right MHS proved itself but why stop , why keep playing the same non conference teams when the only fun thing to be excited about is if you win by your usual 24 plus points ?

At this point it's not about proving yourself it's about wanting to play the best completion

No Oakland or the Blaze are not even in the same zip code of respect compared to MHS but you will see them seek out the best non conference teams to play , hence that is why I give them credit for going out and testing their team - you said it correct you hushed your critics about moving up 4a to 5a then 5 to 6a

For me with your schedule TSSAA should just let your team begin the season in the semi finals ...

You earned the right you earned the respect you silenced the critics but why not now want to play the best around to see if you are ....

As a fan of TN HS Football, I figured it would be Oakland in this spot as they Overall had a better team than Blackman (from what I saw in the ESPN game). Sometimes One man shows can win (See Mark Dodson 2012) but usually the best team wins. With that I think this may be THE YEAR for Oakland (new age Riverdale, so says a former player I'm close to that played for the Warriors back in the 2000s) and all of the 7AAA faithful to finally beat the Red Dragon... 

If not you know I am looking forward to the 'possible' Rubber Match  :mrgreen:

Edited by BlackHavenSenator

Oakland's Defense looked FAST (still shocked about that) when I saw them early on... Are there any Maryville Highlights out there. If GQ is saying this is His Best Defense I want to see what it looks like! That team that Held Melrose to 6 points when they had Graig Cooper and the Defense that didn't allow US an Offensive TD in the 2011 Title game were pretty tough. If these guys are better good grief is all I can say.   :popcorneater:

I think it's smash mouth D battle and I think MHS comes out with the W

IMO Blaze matched up better and had better chance for W

I respectfully disagree... Blackman was down 4 TDs to a team named Independence heading into the 4th quarter and Jennings, the One Man Show, saved them... Oakland has a superior team and if they can get some breaks is the tougher opponent. 

Edited by BlackHavenSenator