SUB-STATE: UNION CITY VS. TCA

JDOGG80

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and a very slow half court game. Make UC work and work hard on the defensive end...

All of your points are valid.  I really enjoy going back in forth with Cope, Stock, Galilee and Pioneer.  Some of the posters really rip into you if you bring out anything good about a team like TCA.  I've tried to lay back and appear as a normal fan as much as possible but it's almost game time and it's time to open up.  In Football, i'm just a fan and parent that loves the game!  I have a good time jawing with my Adamsville friends and the hilarious Trousdale Co fans.  I've really enjoyed becoming friends with Galilee.  We've had our battles on the T but once you meet him you will see he is a CLASS act.  He is one sharp dressed man as well.  The hat he wears is world class!!  Now to basketball.  I am a coach. I do not coach for a living but am a volunteer coach for TCA.  I have coached the MS team at TCA  for 6 years and have coached a pretty high level travel team for 8 years.  No, it's not the level of Team Thad or Team Penny but we have played some very stiff competiion from the surrounding states.  I say that so that you will know that my perspective on this matchup is coming from a coaches perspective.  I have watched this UC Senior group for years.  I knew they were going to be great when my 5th graders played Deberry when he was a 6th grader.  They killed us! lol  I have watched them play the last three years at least 2 times each season.  UC is the real deal and probably the only team left that has a remote chance of competing with Mitchell.  We had our shot and did compete but came up short.  I firmly believe TCA is one of the top 3 teams in the state.  Obviously UC and Mitchell are the other two.  Basketball is all about matchups when you get to this level unless you are super elite like Mitchell.  TCA will matchup really, really well.  I have watched 5 UC games on film and two in person and I feel like I have a good feel for them.  I repeat, UC is  outstanding.  They have an outstanding coach, they have outstanding scorers and outstanding athletes.  TCA has all of the above. Majority of this board hasn't seen both teams.  GCPioneer may be the only other that has a realistic perspective.  I've seen and studied both so let's look at the matchups.   Point guard: Deberry vs. Garrott , Obviously an advantage to UC due to height advantage and hey, he is a Mr. Basketball finalist so he definitely can play.  DO NOT overstimate Garrott. One of my all time favorite kids to coach and watch.  He WILL be the smartest player on the floor.  He does not make mistakes and he does all of the little things that a team and coach needs.  Advantage UC.  Two guard:  Stewart vs #5.  Stewart is a shooter and a really good player. Solid ballhandler.  He will be a great one before it's over.  #5 is a junior and two year starter.  Played a lot as a freshmen.  He will be the fastest player on the floor.  Has a deadly pull up jumper from 15.  Phenomenal ballhandler.  Great leaper.  Advantage TCA.  Small forward:  Simpson vs Bond, Simpson is a stud athlete and can kill you on the boards.  Great driving to the basket and best defender on UC.  Bond is TCA's best defender and one of their best outside shooters.  Great athlete.  Slight advantage to UC.  Center:  Cisco vs. Pagoaga,  I love Cisco.  He plays the game the way it should be played.  He plays hard and is a warrior.  He will kill you if you forget about him.  He's the rock of the team.  Pagoaga is very talented.  He is a 6'4" leaper that can score around the basket.  He's also a shot blocker.  ONly a junior and has great upside.  Advantage TCA.  PF:  Stockdale vs Smith,  this will be the matchup of the night.  Everyone knows about Stockdale.  He's the MVP of UC no doubt.  He's everywhere.  Rebounds, stick backs, defense, etc.  I can't say enought about him.  He's vey physical.  People don't realize that Smith is very similar.  He's 6'1" and is very physical.  He can shoot and is arguably our best rebounder and is definitely our best post defender.  As good as Stockdale is Smith is right there.  I've watched and coached him for years and he is a winner and a warrior. SLight advantage UC.  Bench: TCA has 6'7' Harvey that is a force when he comes in.  He blocks a lot of shots and is a solid scorer and defender.  Akin is a very, very good post player with great moves around the basket.  Limited with his jumping but is very intelligent on the court.  Northcutt is a great 3 point shooter and great defender as well as great ballhandler.  He will be in the game like a starter.  UC has a great bench as well with Polk, Moffatt and Bumphus.  They are very athletic and play great defense and are good rebounders.  I think TCA has the advantage here.

As you can see this is very evenly matched.  Certainly Deberry or Stockdale could take the game over and cause a lot of havoc for TCA but #5 and Smith can also take a game over for TCA.  Folks, it's going to be close no matter what you think.  These are two great teams with two great coaches.  Please note that all comments about both teams are positive.  This is an objective view of these teams and the game is not likely to vary much because the best players on both teams are going to make it happen.  It almost always works out that way.  Certainly there are exceptions.  I think the winner will be playing next Saturday against Mitchell.  Cope, i will be wearing Purple!!

TCA I think you did a great job of breaking down the matchups for the game. You are right except for one and that's the Stockdale matchup I think they will have to double team him to stop him. I have watched him play all year long and I have seen nobody handle him one on one. Should be a good game and good luck to both teams LOL.

All of your points are valid.  I really enjoy going back in forth with Cope, Stock, Galilee and Pioneer.  Some of the posters really rip into you if you bring out anything good about a team like TCA.  I've tried to lay back and appear as a normal fan as much as possible but it's almost game time and it's time to open up.  In Football, i'm just a fan and parent that loves the game!  I have a good time jawing with my Adamsville friends and the hilarious Trousdale Co fans.  I've really enjoyed becoming friends with Galilee.  We've had our battles on the T but once you meet him you will see he is a CLASS act.  He is one sharp dressed man as well.  The hat he wears is world class!!  Now to basketball.  I am a coach. I do not coach for a living but am a volunteer coach for TCA.  I have coached the MS team at TCA  for 6 years and have coached a pretty high level travel team for 8 years.  No, it's not the level of Team Thad or Team Penny but we have played some very stiff competiion from the surrounding states.  I say that so that you will know that my perspective on this matchup is coming from a coaches perspective.  I have watched this UC Senior group for years.  I knew they were going to be great when my 5th graders played Deberry when he was a 6th grader.  They killed us! lol  I have watched them play the last three years at least 2 times each season.  UC is the real deal and probably the only team left that has a remote chance of competing with Mitchell.  We had our shot and did compete but came up short.  I firmly believe TCA is one of the top 3 teams in the state.  Obviously UC and Mitchell are the other two.  Basketball is all about matchups when you get to this level unless you are super elite like Mitchell.  TCA will matchup really, really well.  I have watched 5 UC games on film and two in person and I feel like I have a good feel for them.  I repeat, UC is  outstanding.  They have an outstanding coach, they have outstanding scorers and outstanding athletes.  TCA has all of the above. Majority of this board hasn't seen both teams.  GCPioneer may be the only other that has a realistic perspective.  I've seen and studied both so let's look at the matchups.   Point guard: Deberry vs. Garrott , Obviously an advantage to UC due to height advantage and hey, he is a Mr. Basketball finalist so he definitely can play.  DO NOT overstimate Garrott. One of my all time favorite kids to coach and watch.  He WILL be the smartest player on the floor.  He does not make mistakes and he does all of the little things that a team and coach needs.  Advantage UC.  Two guard:  Stewart vs #5.  Stewart is a shooter and a really good player. Solid ballhandler.  He will be a great one before it's over.  #5 is a junior and two year starter.  Played a lot as a freshmen.  He will be the fastest player on the floor.  Has a deadly pull up jumper from 15.  Phenomenal ballhandler.  Great leaper.  Advantage TCA.  Small forward:  Simpson vs Bond, Simpson is a stud athlete and can kill you on the boards.  Great driving to the basket and best defender on UC.  Bond is TCA's best defender and one of their best outside shooters.  Great athlete.  Slight advantage to UC.  Center:  Cisco vs. Pagoaga,  I love Cisco.  He plays the game the way it should be played.  He plays hard and is a warrior.  He will kill you if you forget about him.  He's the rock of the team.  Pagoaga is very talented.  He is a 6'4" leaper that can score around the basket.  He's also a shot blocker.  ONly a junior and has great upside.  Advantage TCA.  PF:  Stockdale vs Smith,  this will be the matchup of the night.  Everyone knows about Stockdale.  He's the MVP of UC no doubt.  He's everywhere.  Rebounds, stick backs, defense, etc.  I can't say enought about him.  He's vey physical.  People don't realize that Smith is very similar.  He's 6'1" and is very physical.  He can shoot and is arguably our best rebounder and is definitely our best post defender.  As good as Stockdale is Smith is right there.  I've watched and coached him for years and he is a winner and a warrior. SLight advantage UC.  Bench: TCA has 6'7' Harvey that is a force when he comes in.  He blocks a lot of shots and is a solid scorer and defender.  Akin is a very, very good post player with great moves around the basket.  Limited with his jumping but is very intelligent on the court.  Northcutt is a great 3 point shooter and great defender as well as great ballhandler.  He will be in the game like a starter.  UC has a great bench as well with Polk, Moffatt and Bumphus.  They are very athletic and play great defense and are good rebounders.  I think TCA has the advantage here.

As you can see this is very evenly matched.  Certainly Deberry or Stockdale could take the game over and cause a lot of havoc for TCA but #5 and Smith can also take a game over for TCA.  Folks, it's going to be close no matter what you think.  These are two great teams with two great coaches.  Please note that all comments about both teams are positive.  This is an objective view of these teams and the game is not likely to vary much because the best players on both teams are going to make it happen.  It almost always works out that way.  Certainly there are exceptions.  I think the winner will be playing next Saturday against Mitchell.  Cope, i will be wearing Purple!!

What is the name of this high level travel team you speak of? as some can tell you here I follow AAU as much as anybody......ask GCPioneer, he can vouch for that.

I'm still calling for a woodshed game...of course I could be wrong. I think TCA at best gets beat by 15, would not surprise me if UC wins by 25+ either. 

Pay very close attention to what Purple & Gold Standard posted....he knows his stuff and he explained it very simple. His opinion can be respected as he is not a trash talker or anything like that. 

A game in the 30's or 40's is not going to happen either, not on the UC side. Just not going to happen.

Edited by yankees8589

One thing that has been over looked...by TCA folks.  Your schedule (TCA)may be decent but Union City has the upper hand there which is most important.  Your team and my team just have to be on their best one game at a time.  I would really doubt and put lots of money on that your team has not played as many games with emotion as Union City has had.  Union City has played both Lake Co. and Halls both 3 times each.  Then Humboldt 4 times.  Beaten everyone of those games practically by the mercy rule except for one Humboldt game.  Played 2 nationally ranked teams....lost to both...one by a last second shot, the other taken to the woodshed and beaten by a team with 6 players dressed out.  Union City has had a bulls eye on their back ALL year.  So, not taking anything away from your team and guys at all, we have two MAJOR ADVANTAGES, our coaching/coaches and how our team prepares to get to this point.  Just so happens, your team will face ours at the best time for Union City, HITTING ON ALL CYLINDERS .  I will make this prediction and you remember what I said.   IF, Union City comes out and starts to get a few turnovers, transition baskets with dunks and 3's, it will be a long night for TCA.  Our team is human, we have lost a game or two ( 3 ), we will make mistakes as they are kids , but your team will NOT out run our team from one end of the floor to the other.   I know you will have a crowd.  Yes, our gym is small but lots of history, lots of banners hanging in there.  Matter of fact, you will have to walk by all of our gold and silver basketballs in special display cases before you enter Marty Sisco Gymnasium.  You might be reminded that you are walking into a class room where lots of teams have been taken to school.  I feel it will be a great game and one that Union City will pull away come middle of the 3rd quarter.

The game between TCA and Union City will be broadcast by radio stations from both Jackson and Union City.  The TCA broadcast will be on Hippie Radio 105.3 fm.  Dave McCulley and Stan Gerard will have the call of the game beginning with the The Countdown To Tip Off Pregame Show beginning at 6:45pm.  The game can be heard online at http://www.hippieradio1053.com .

The game between TCA and Union City will be broadcast by radio stations from both Jackson and Union City.  The TCA broadcast will be on Hippie Radio 105.3 fm.  Dave McCulley and Stan Gerard will have the call of the game beginning with the The Countdown To Tip Off Pregame Show beginning at 6:45pm.  The game can be heard online at http://www.hippieradio1053.com .

Thanks, Diamond Dave always does a great job

So if I'm reading the brackets right, the prize for tonight's winner is the winner of the Meigs County at Hampton winner on Thursday, March 12th at 11:30 am...

The winner of the Humboldt/Mitchell match-up will play the winner of the Huntland/Columbia Acd game at 6 pm on Wednesday March 11th...

Edited by Purple & Gold Standard

So if I'm reading the brackets right, the prize for tonight's winner is the winner of the Meigs County at Hampton winner on Thursday, March 12th at 11:30 am...

The winner of the Humboldt/Mitchell match-up will play the winner of the Huntland/Columbia Acd game at 6 pm on Wednesday March 11th...

Correct