Private-public split will be bad for high school football

Macnarry

Your grandstanding is pathetic. The majority of coaches polled by Murphy Fair wanted the split. Big schools, small schools, privates, publics, and everything in between wanted the TSSAA to split. Lewis Co and Trousdale are the two teams that brought forth the measure so out could be voted on. This measure was backed by the majority of schools in the state yet it fails? Then we are suppose to trust Benard and his cronies will fix the problem. This is more than just a football issue. BTW I despise Lewis Co. but totally backed this idea.

Keep in mind, it failed by the public school representatives on the BOC, 24 privates don't have that much pull or input. However, I read an article in the Johnson City Press where Keith Turner stated that they were concerned with lawsuits or litigation. Maybe that was it.

Pepvol, you are one of my favorites, but I have to disagree here. While there ARE some teams making the playoffs with losing records, the fact is that those teams have had no effect on the eventual champion anyway, got more playing time and gate revenues for the additional schools that made the playoffs, and Tennessee has more high level prospects now than I can ever remember them having in the past. I don't think TN football is watered down, it is thriving.

Since 1997 Maryville has played in the State Championship game every year except 1999, and 2003 ... I have been to every game and I've had a chance to watch a lot of other teams play in all those years ... it seems like the last few years I've seen Teams holding up a Trophy that it just amazed me that they were the best team in their Division ... maybe I'm wrong , but it sure did seem a lot harder to win a State Title 10 - 15 years ago ... maybe I'm just getting Old ... LOL . I actually wouldn't mind seeing just 3 Divisions like it was back in my day ( the 1870... I mean 1970's) and bring all the Privates back too .... those Gold Balls would mean a WHOLE LOT MORE then . 

Since 1997 Maryville has played in the State Championship game every year except 1999, and 2003 ... I have been to every game and I've had a chance to watch a lot of other teams play in all those years ... it seems like the last few years I've seen Teams holding up a Trophy that it just amazed me that they were the best team in their Division ... maybe I'm wrong , but it sure did seem a lot harder to win a State Title 10 - 15 years ago ... maybe I'm just getting Old ... LOL . I actually wouldn't mind seeing just 3 Divisions like it was back in my day ( the 1870... I mean 1970's) and bring all the Privates back too .... those Gold Balls would mean a WHOLE LOT MORE then .

Thats a very good point, 4 classes would increase the number of teams per region and add some competitive balance in the playoffs (maybe) teams like Alcoa, Fulton and Maryville will compete no matter what. Edited by QSouth89

You should be on the BOC, but alas that makes too much and sense and Mr. Childress needs complex formulas lol.

Why would I want to be on the Board of Control?  When  you argue with idiots they just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.  I would much rather have the job of Executive Director and receive 10% of the gross revenues as my salary.

I'm a public school guy all the way. I hated it when our best area teams over the past 20 years saw their playoff runs ended by CPA, DCA, and GoodP. However, it is only fair, and legal to give the private schools a voice in this. The problem I have is that the TSSAA allowed this issue to get to this point. They seem to be reactive and not very proactive. 

Edited by @38320
  • Upvote 1

(Edit: clearly I do not know how to multi quote. I was responding to Qsouth and Pepvol)

I see the point of what you guys are saying.

But as someone who (probably like you guys) LOVE HS football, and hate when it ends, and look forward to when it starts back, I personally like the fact that more teams get a longer season. I realize that can be taken too far, such as having 15 divisions or something absurd like that. But I like that more teams get an extra game or two, and those kids get more chances to do what they love, while the fans and parents enjoy watching. And most importantly, I see that TN football is producing more prospects for the next level than ever before, and the sport is as healthy as ever and growing.

Now as far as combining D1 and D2, you are getting into an interesting area. We all know why this was changed: It was not a level playing field for privates that could offer scholarships to compete with publics. But once you go down that road of trying to level the playing field, then the TSSAA has a responsibility to look at other similar advantages such as privates and open zones. You can't have it both ways in my opinion. (preaching to the TSSAA not you guys)

But at the end of the day, I am not in favor of going back to 3 divisions. While the school I went to, Oak Ridge, faired well overall under this system, I am all for "more" of what I love, HS football. So if one or two teams get a trophy that they wouldn't have gotten "back in our day" that's ok by me.

Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Edited by Govolsknox

I'm a public school guy all the way. I hated it when our best area teams over the past 20 years saw their playoff runs ended by CPA, DCA, and GoodP. However, it is only fair, and legal to give the private schools a voice in this. The problem I have is that the TSSAA allowed this issue to get to this point. They seem to be reactive and not very proactive.

Cheatham County (2012) and Lewis County (2013) were both undefeated before losing late round playoff games to CPA.

(Edit: clearly I do not know how to multi quote. I was responding to Qsouth and Pepvol)

I see the point of what you guys are saying.

But as someone who (probably like you guys) LOVE HS football, and hate when it ends, and look forward to when it starts back, I personally like the fact that more teams get a longer season. I realize that can be taken too far, such as having 15 divisions or something absurd like that. But I like that more teams get an extra game or two, and those kids get more chances to do what they love, while the fans and parents enjoy watching. And most importantly, I see that TN football is producing more prospects for the next level than ever before, and the sport is as healthy as ever and growing.

Now as far as combining D1 and D2, you are getting into an interesting area. We all know why this was changed: It was not a level playing field for privates that could offer scholarships to compete with publics. But once you go down that road of trying to level the playing field, then the TSSAA has a responsibility to look at other similar advantages such as privates and open zones. You can't have it both ways in my opinion. (preaching to the TSSAA not you guys)

But at the end of the day, I am not in favor of going back to 3 divisions. While the school I went to, Oak Ridge, faired well overall under this system, I am all for "more" of what I love, HS football. So if one or two teams get a trophy that they wouldn't have gotten "back in our day" that's ok by me.

Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

You would still have 5 classes, the Super 32 is probably here to stay. I was basing it on a combination of D1 and D2 broke into 4 classes except 1A. Edited by QSouth89

I agree. I think there are a lot of issues surrounding the potential split, including legal issues. But without question, if the privates are "in" they should have representation, plain and simple.