Dobyns Bennett Athletics

To those saying things like "Wow, one of the biggest 6A schools in the state just won a scrimmage against a mediocre 3A school, whoopeeee"

This may look like a mismatch, and perhaps it was, but you have to remember that DB football is in a very fragile state right now, having come off one of the worst seasons in school history.  Plus if I remember right the head coach had a terrible family tragedy during the middle of the season.   So yeah, DB beats South, big deal....    Yes it is a big deal to the guys who suffered through last season, they need and got some momentum.      So from a Boone fan:   congratulations DB!

True, blazer.  You also might want to point out that South completely held out their QB who was the bulk of the South offense in the past year, South had several players still in baseball, soccer, etc, and a large percentage of the starters in this scrimmage were still freshman (sophomores in the fall). 

Plus, Coach Clark nor Coach Haynie are trying to "win" anything.  They are experimenting and trying to implement what they've been working in a live situation. 

Soooo, woo hoo Kingsport won.  Assuredly there must be a >.500 season in the cards for 2016.  Maryville is getting nervous.

True, blazer.  You also might want to point out that South completely held out their QB who was the bulk of the South offense in the past year, South had several players still in baseball, soccer, etc, and a large percentage of the starters in this scrimmage were still freshman (sophomores in the fall). 

Plus, Coach Clark nor Coach Haynie are trying to "win" anything.  They are experimenting and trying to implement what they've been working in a live situation. 

Soooo, woo hoo Kingsport won.  Assuredly there must be a >.500 season in the cards for 2016.  Maryville is getting nervous.

I think there's only two guys in all of Kingsport that are "woo hooing" about this scrimmage. So it's not like that's the mindset here. They say there's one in every crowd. We have two.

Correct Pudding, South's 2 starting RB's had around 50 yds combined on a combined 8 carries or so.  The bulk of the work was on the QB who in all honesty will be 3rd string QB at best when the season rolls around.  He is a good athlete but we have 2 other QB's that are much better.  For both teams the scrimmage was about getting younger kids experience.  Maupin passed a lot and looked good for DB whose receivers looked good as well.  I think both teams will be better than last year but it was really hard to tell much from the scrimmage.  Good luck to DB this season.

IT'S A GOOD HIRE

D-B Grad Larry Shively Named New KCS Director of Athletics
5-24-2016-7-34-52-PM-5183421.jpg
Larry Shively

by STEVE WILMOTH
TriCitiesSports.com
May 24, 2016

KINGSPORT, TN. – A Dobyns-Bennett grad who returned home last year as been named as the new Director of Athletics for Kingsport City Schools.

The appointment of Larry Shively was made official by Superintendent Dr. Lyle Aishie in press release on Tuesday.

"I am so grateful for the leadership of Dr. Lyle Ailshie, the entire Kingsport City School leadership team, and the KCS School Board for entrusting me with this wonderful opportunity to serve and lead,†said Shively. â€I am honored, blessed, and humbled to lead and serve the student-athletes and coaches of Kingsport City Schools.â€

Shively graduated from Dobyns-Bennett in 1992 and earned a Bachelor of Arts Degree with a major in history from the University of Tennessee in 1997. Shively also earned a Master of Secondary Education Degree from Milligan in 1998.

Shively had taught social studies and history for 19 years in the classroom and started his coaching career as an assistant football and baseball coach at Shelbyville Central High School. Shively was an assistant coach at Science Hill High School from 1999 to 2009 and was head coach at Happy Valley from 2010-14 before resigning in June 2015 to return to Dobyns-Bennett in a teaching capacity. Shively and his wife Misty have two children, Sara and Trey.

“We are excited that Larry will bring his extensive athletic experience and passion to this leadership role for Kingsport City Schools,†said Dr. Ailshie in an official statement included in the release. “In selecting an individual to oversee not only Dobyns-Bennett High School athletics, but also guide athletic programming for the entire district, it was critical to find the person with the right combination of knowledge, skill, desire, and innovation. As a D-B graduate with a long history of athletic leadership and a strong desire to take our programs to the next level, we feel that Larry is the right individual for this exciting task and will unify our entire community around the vision of having a world-class athletic program.â€

Shively had been slated to fill a spot on Graham Clark’s Indian football staff for the 2016 season and now takes over a tradition rich athletic program at Dobyns-Bennett that boasts the nation’s winningest high school baseball team, second winningest high school boys’ basketball team and the state of Tennessee’s winningest high school football program.

“We have a proud and unrivaled tradition of success in our school system of producing championship level athletes and teams that are recognized nationally,†continued Shively. “I look forward to serving the Athletic Program, and leading our teams to even greater heights.

“We strive to provide our coaches and athletes the resources to continue their world class experience in Kingsport and beyond. Our student-athletes deserve the very best, and I am confident our community will rise to the occasion. This will take a collaborative effort from the students, faculty, businesses and industries, and alumni.â€

In addition to the duties at the high school, Shively will be tasked with responsibilities for oversight, coordination and direction of all district athletic programming.

“The Athletic Department will vertically align our youth leagues, middle schools and Dobyns-Bennett to our overall vision of creating an educationally based athletic experience that is second to none,†Shively explained. “We desire ‘all of our arrows pointed in the same direction’ in order to produce champions on and off the field.â€

Shively also sees the athletic department as a compliment to the educational mission of the Kingsport City School System.

“We believe that athletics and activities are inherently educational,†added Shively. “The courts and fields are extensions of our classrooms. Our goal is to develop the whole person and help develop the character of our young athletes. Our coaches will be charged with coaching as if their son or daughter is in the program and to provide them every opportunity to learn and grow as competitors.â€

Shively will also be a champion of promoting the success, achievements, sportsmanship and community service of all current and former KCS student-athletes.

“The Athletic Department will relentlessly promote our school, our brand, and the accomplishments of our athletes. We want to tell our story. Former high achieving players, coaches and teams will be celebrated. Once an Indian, Always an Indian! Roll Tribe!â€

Since 1990 DB has only been one-and-done 10 times, so even though they have that reputation it does not happen that often.

But when they do, it is usually in spectacular fashion.

ps Just curious. Why do you post in support of DB, no matter the issue, but continuously rag on your namesake Blazers?

But when they do, it is usually in spectacular fashion.

ps Just curious. Why do you post in support of DB, no matter the issue, but continuously rag on your namesake Blazers?

Good question.    The last 3 years the Blazers have gone 9-21, so not exactly a stellar run.  As to DB, I guess it's like my old Eastman friend says "Way down deep we are all DB fans"