Region 3AAA tourney begins

85warrior

White Co loses to Bradley Co to night . I thought Bradley defensed us as good as anybody we played this year . We had our chances and just couldn't get it done . In the end , i thought turnovers killed us . Congrats to Bradley and goodbye to some super seniors .

South Doyle, Maryville, Bearden, Alcoa, and Fulton are 5 of BC's 6 losses. Traveled to Knoxville and made no excuses. Great season Sparta but a product of your own choices to play no one to get you ready at tournament time.

Agreed: Just because you go undefeated in a bad district (cant control a bad district) & beat up on bad single A teams does NOT mean that you are a good team. Word of advise to ALL High School Coaches, Play a Tough Schedule,plenty of good teams within a 3 hour drive, you do NOT get better by playing Weak Teams and winning Pointless Games Early in the Season, the Entire Point is to be Winning Late in the Season. And this advise is to ALL High School Coaches. Strength of Schedule Matters

• Upvote 1

Agreed: Just because you go undefeated in a bad district (cant control a bad district) & beat up on bad single A teams does NOT mean that you are a good team. Word of advise to ALL High School Coaches, Play a Tough Schedule,plenty of good teams within a 3 hour drive, you do NOT get better by playing Weak Teams and winning Pointless Games Early in the Season, the Entire Point is to be Winning Late in the Season. And this advise is to ALL High School Coaches. Strength of Schedule Matters

you don't get better, but you can break some records - LOL. In all seriousness - the records broken were phenomenal. I remember hearing about it on the radio driving home from the Bradley 4 OT win over Cleveland. Edited by FootballFan51

I guess the big question is whether Bradley goes up 3-1 on Walker this year, or Walker wins the most important matchup to even them at 2-2. Would like to hear what the 6AAA people think about this matchup???

The second biggest question is whether 2 teams 10 miles apart in Bradley County (and all their fans, cheerleaders, etc.) will all have to travel 2+ hours up to Cookeville for the game.

I thought that if teams from the visiting District made it to the finals, the Region Championship game would be played where the competing teams District tourney was held. Is that a rule, or just a common courtesy to move the game to the winning District? Why is Cookeville HS opposed to it moving?

Tremendous atmosphere last night at Cookeville for this game. Congrats to the Bears and Coach Chuck Clark for erasing any doubt that they could play with anyone in the state. They played a tough schedule as mentioned above and had to go overtime on four different occasions, including a 4-OT thriller over Cleveland. They won all of those games and I believe that games like those helped prepare the Bears for a game like last night. The Bears only averaged 7.7 points better than their opponent while the Warriors averaged 22.0 points better per game. Having been there and done that, the Bears proved that the stiff competition paid off in the end. 

Congrats to Coach Mitchell and his team for a marvelous season!

So let me get this right some here say they played a weak schedule and BC played a tougher schedule and that helped lead to the win. So were they good or not? I mean even with a weak schedule and one of their better players on the bench in fouls trouble then fouling out they still were in the game til what the last 2 minutes? I'd say they were better than average and I would agree that you don't worry about the regular season as much as preparing your team. So did Bradley beat an overrated White county team that was in foul trouble or did they just play great against a pretty good White county team?

So let me get this right some here say they played a weak schedule and BC played a tougher schedule and that helped lead to the win. So were they good or not? I mean even with a weak schedule and one of their better players on the bench in fouls trouble then fouling out they still were in the game til what the last 2 minutes? I'd say they were better than average and I would agree that you don't worry about the regular season as much as preparing your team. So did Bradley beat an overrated White county team that was in foul trouble or did they just play great against a pretty good White county team?

I don't think anyone here would say that WC wasn't any good. They were certainly very talented, but I think the overwhelming sentiment is that WC's SOS made it difficult to know just how good they were. Heck, they never really had any games that went down to the wire; they blew out just about everyone they played, and they deserve credit for that, but I wondered how they would respond if they got in a desperate situation or where the outcome of a game came down to the final possession.

I tend to believe that Bradley played very well against a pretty good WC team.

Talented, yes but also overrated as a AAA team. Look at it this way. The very good AAA teams were playing in the Arby's classic over Christmas vs top teams from across the USA while White Co was beating single A teams in the Championship of the Sonic shootout by 60. Whether they lost now or in the state tournament it was just a matter of time before their time ran out.

I just want to first say congratulations to WV and BC for advancing.    I also want to say congratulations to Cookeville and White for their seasons.  

Let me just add this and I'll try not to get into an argument... just my 3 cents.  I hear what you are saying about a weak schedule, and I've heard UCsportsfan say this about Cookeville before.  I've chosen not to get into it because, as we all know, most people with opinions on an online forum aren't going to change those opinions.  

However, I will have to defend white and CHS somewhat.  It isn't easy to find good AAA teams to play in our location, the only AAA teams anywhere close are district teams.  The next closest are either region teams (ooltewah was scheduled by White and have been several years, bradley and CHS have been scheduled many times)  or west (wilson co, rutherford, etc).   I know from talking to CHS coaches in the past that there are times when they have reached out to Murfreesboro teams and they don't want to travel to the UC.  They cite time, gas, and lack of gate for their own home game.  

This leads to trying to get games closer to home and as you all have pointed out, there are much smaller schools around the Upper Cumberland.  Some of these teams are quality, but smaller nonetheless.  

I'm not even saying that perhaps the lack of strength in the schedule hurts sometimes, but just want to offer that it isn't always as easy as one might think scheduling whoever you want. There are alot of variables. 

Good luck Bradley and Walker Valley as you move forward into the sub-state games!

I must say I was more shocked that cookeville lost tonight. When are they gonna get a new coach? To much talent to lose in the region every year.

Amen Brother! Said the same thing before the season even began. Too predictable.

Unfortunately, as I also noted a couple months ago, Coach Bray once again padded his schedule with weak teams and won 23 games, making it more difficult to make a change.

Just think... 4th largest school in the state and the Cookeville CAVS have NEVER made the state tournament in boys basketball. Never.

That's pitiful.

I just want to first say congratulations to WV and BC for advancing. I also want to say congratulations to Cookeville and White for their seasons.

Let me just add this and I'll try not to get into an argument... just my 3 cents. I hear what you are saying about a weak schedule, and I've heard UCsportsfan say this about Cookeville before. I've chosen not to get into it because, as we all know, most people with opinions on an online forum aren't going to change those opinions.

However, I will have to defend white and CHS somewhat. It isn't easy to find good AAA teams to play in our location, the only AAA teams anywhere close are district teams. The next closest are either region teams (ooltewah was scheduled by White and have been several years, bradley and CHS have been scheduled many times) or west (wilson co, rutherford, etc). I know from talking to CHS coaches in the past that there are times when they have reached out to Murfreesboro teams and they don't want to travel to the UC. They cite time, gas, and lack of gate for their own home game.

This leads to trying to get games closer to home and as you all have pointed out, there are much smaller schools around the Upper Cumberland. Some of these teams are quality, but smaller nonetheless.

I'm not even saying that perhaps the lack of strength in the schedule hurts sometimes, but just want to offer that it isn't always as easy as one might think scheduling whoever you want. There are alot of variables.

Good luck Bradley and Walker Valley as you move forward into the sub-state games!

agree on nobody wanting to drive there (see my other post about Region Championship game LOL).

Hamilton Heights in Chattanooga will probably do a home and home with guys and girls. Bradley girls beat them this year.

There are also Christmas and Thanksgiving tourneys you can play in. Bradley girls used to always go to Florida to play over holidays until they got Hamilton Heights to start playing them a couple years ago.

Edited by FootballFan51