Metro Rankings

bleacher

You can add WC is there too. They used to have some dominate teams. At one point or another all of the metro teams have had some level of success and all have had some seasons they would have loved to do over or just forget completely. Anyone remember the year after Blade left Hillsboro. PC had a tough year about six maybe seven years ago. I think they went 3-7 or something like that. Overton last year.

3 hours ago, workinprogress said:

You can add WC is there too. They used to have some dominate teams. At one point or another all of the metro teams have had some level of success and all have had some seasons they would have loved to do over or just forget completely. Anyone remember the year after Blade left Hillsboro. PC had a tough year about six maybe seven years ago. I think they went 3-7 or something like that. Overton last year.

Yes I remember 2012 PC went 3-7. But we knew that year would be rough.

16 hours ago, bleacher said:

Metro football seems more divided now than ever before in my time which dates back to the 70s.

There are several teams that seem to be talented , good teams. But three are even more that are an embarrassment to the game. 

Why is three such a difference from top to bottom?  Cane Ridge and Pearl Cohn are about 100 points better than Hunters Lane and Glencliff. Why?

15 hours ago, midtnmale said:

Hunters Lane sits between Davidson Academy and Goodpasture. And being zoned next to Maplewood isn't helping matters.  Kids want to play for a winning program. Or, at least one that can get them into the post-season.

As far back as I can recall (when I was in high school ), Glencliff has never been good. If they win more than two games a season they're having a good year. I think their long-term problem now is that there are too many first and second generations immigrants in their zone. You'd think they'd do better in soccer, though.

Hunters Lane still has 2,000 kids walking the hallways. As I said before I have a daughter there and I've been to the school a few times and theres a BUNCH of 6"3 270+ lineman walking the hallways who dont play. Like MidTn said kids want to win and maplewood is in that area along with GP and DA. You also cant leave out there Davidson county kids who stay in the Madison/Rivergate area who go to a few sumner county schools. Now you have to ad republic in the mix. So East Nashville alone you have "East Nashville,Stratford,Maplewood,Republic,Hunters Lane,Goodpasture and Davidson Academy" 7 High schools on one side of town. Glencliff I'm not that old and I cant real ever remember them winning anything. At the moment WC needs to be playing in 2a

1 hour ago, wingman10 said:

Back in the 60’s , they were as good as anyone. They would outhit

1 hour ago, workinprogress said:

That's before my time wingman. I'll have to take your word for it. I can also remember a year when Hillwood went 10-1 or maybe 9-2. I think it was one of Link's last year's.

The problem is that everyone has a "what have you done lately" attitude, young people especially. Hillwood's "glory days" were before any of today's kids were even born. The internet makes it easier for aspiring athletes to know where the action is, and is not.

Having a coach with pedigree of Kurt Page is probably as good at they will get at Hillwood. I'm thinking that he's doing as well as expected with the players he has.  But to be fair, the Hilltoppers are also helped by that fact that they are in a  six team region with Hunters Lane and  Glencliff. 

Hillwood's problem this season is that they need a better defense. I'm not saying they would challenge for the region title if their defense was better. But, they might win a few  more games outside of Hunters Lane and Glencliff. They may even get lucky and get out of fourth place in the region.

Edited by midtnmale
To clarify my last point.
  • Like 1

Congratulations to Hillsboro. Good win at Independence.

Pearl Cohn came up a little short but they showed much heart and have a great future.

Cane Ridge is just a machine. They continue to roll.

East remains undefeated. They are rocking through this season.

Maplewood has won the last two games by total of 120 - 0.

11 hours ago, workinprogress said:

That's before my time wingman. I'll have to take your word for it. I can also remember a year when Hillwood went 10-1 or maybe 9-2. I think it was one of Link's last year's.

Actually we were 12-1. Lost to White House in the quarters. Fall of 2004, It was Link's next to last year. Talked to him yesterday,

We were 9-2 in fall of 2003

Edited by bigchief