Metro Rankings

bleacher

2 minutes ago, cbg said:

If a system were put in place to fix the problems of MNPS today I have very little confidence that 75% of the problems could be fixed in 10 years.  My opinion is that we are dealing with cultural problems that have been around for multiple generations (mid 1980's) and many people in the system like things as they are now.  To fix the problems everyone would have to understand that some people are going to get their feelings hurt and while it's unfortunate some children would be left behind because they cannot or are not willing to keep up.  

Sad but very true. Same can be said for Jackson and Memphis schools. As well as many others. 

9 hours ago, burrodaddy said:

So all this politics chatter. What specific items needing repair that Bredesen should have fixed and Barry should fix. Anxious to hear our reuplican privates throw their suggestions on the table. 

You won't have to stress over wether MNPS will get anything fixed or not. With that 5.2 billion dollar transit proposal, I doubt that athletics is high on her list of spending.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, cbg said:

If a system were put in place to fix the problems of MNPS today I have very little confidence that 75% of the problems could be fixed in 10 years.  My opinion is that we are dealing with cultural problems that have been around for multiple generations (mid 1980's) and many people in the system like things as they are now.  To fix the problems everyone would have to understand that some people are going to get their feelings hurt and while it's unfortunate some children would be left behind because they cannot or are not willing to keep up. It may be time to partner with the various trade unions and begin educating some of these students while still in high school as they did in the 1970s.  

And the people said, AMEN.

Bottom line. Not every kid is going to college. Get over it. Teach them a trade they can use to make an honest living. If you don't, they become a burden on our tax dollars by living off handouts or even worse making a "dishonest" living.

The two things that are most needed in Metro schools today are Discipline and Accountability. Unfortunately, as CBG said, too many snowflakes out there would get their feelings hurt because they don't want to do the work cause they are lazy and they want to act like fools. Until there is a penalty for not doing what is right, the behavior will continue. 

Reward positives yes, but PUNISH negatives. Only way the lesson will stick. It is a two way street.

11 hours ago, burrodaddy said:

So all this politics chatter. What specific items needing repair that Bredesen should have fixed and Barry should fix. Anxious to hear our reuplican privates throw their suggestions on the table. 

Sorry to hurt your feelings but I was a MNPS graduate many years ago when the system was good.  It truly is a joke today.  I tell people every day that if you cannot attend Hume Fogg or MLK, get the heck out of Davidson County and don't look back.  Unfortunately in the past (30+ years ago) all students in MNPS had the opportunity to receive the same type of education as those students at HF and MLK do today.  It's a sad state of affairs when families are forced to move out of Davidson County due to safety issues in many of the MNPS.

Edited by cbg

MNPS needs to listen to the teachers first. They are in the classrooms every day and know what is going on. They know the challenges and together they know the solutions. However, MNPS has consistently listened to politicians and parents who simply are not trained in the field of education. MNPS needs to focus on hiring good teachers regardless of race, cultural background, etc. As Bigchief stated MNPS needs discipline and structure. These issues are why good teachers leave MNPS every year. Everyone that I still keep up with from high school now lives in surroundings counties. Most of the teachers I know from MNPS are either gone to other counties, are trying to leave, or are simply locked in to MNPS due to financial benefits. Sad times in MNPS.

1 hour ago, workinprogress said:

Runtheball you are correct. But in order to become better metro needs to first realize the problems and that is not going to happen anytime soon.

I know what is being said. A coach can only coach the kids and not worry about things he can't control. I do not know of any coach in metro that does not have the things needed to coach. Game is still about coaching the kids right and  running a scheme they can run. Can't be concerned about the what ifs. 

7 hours ago, workinprogress said:

MNPS needs to listen to the teachers first. They are in the classrooms every day and know what is going on. They know the challenges and together they know the solutions. However, MNPS has consistently listened to politicians and parents who simply are not trained in the field of education. MNPS needs to focus on hiring good teachers regardless of race, cultural background, etc. As Bigchief stated MNPS needs discipline and structure. These issues are why good teachers leave MNPS every year. Everyone that I still keep up with from high school now lives in surroundings counties. Most of the teachers I know from MNPS are either gone to other counties, are trying to leave, or are simply locked in to MNPS due to financial benefits. Sad times in MNPS.

Your first sentence made me laugh. That day is gone forever. Everything in metro is backwards. The school that I am at spends 90 percent of the time on the kids that cause problems but only make up about 5 percent of the enrollment. In most cases they let kids off the hook because they will find fault with the teacher that reported behavior problem.