Metro Rankings

bleacher

On 11/1/2017 at 8:23 AM, cbg said:

Sorry to hurt your feelings but I was a MNPS graduate many years ago when the system was good.  It truly is a joke today.  I tell people every day that if you cannot attend Hume Fogg or MLK, get the heck out of Davidson County and don't look back.  Unfortunately in the past (30+ years ago) all students in MNPS had the opportunity to receive the same type of education as those students at HF and MLK do today.  It's a sad state of affairs when families are forced to move out of Davidson County due to safety issues in many of the MNPS.

Feelings aren’t hurt at all. As for me, I never attended a public school my whole life, through postdoc. I just tire of generalizations. For example, last time I checked, I do not recall any Metro students being anally raped as alleged in one private school in Williamson County. Years back, I personally witnessed drugs being sold out of a football locker room at a prominent private school in Williamson County. It was swept under the rug. 

I agree changes need to be made to MNPS, in the area of discopline and the “politicking” that gies on behind closed doors in academics and athletics.

i personally feel certain population influx will demand better schools but it may not translate to an improved athletic program for MNPS. If families move out of Davidson County, it is not for safety issues. They simply cannot afford the price tag for a quality private school and they are going for a bargain Williamson County public school.

Edited by burrodaddy
Typo

20 hours ago, burrodaddy said:

Feelings aren’t hurt at all. As for me, I never attended a public school my whole life, through postdoc. I just tire of generalizations. For example, last time I checked, I do not recall any Metro students being anally raped as alleged in one private school in Williamson County. Years back, I personally witnessed drugs being sold out of a football locker room at a prominent private school in Williamson County. It was swept under the rug. 

I agree changes need to be made to MNPS, in the area of discopline and the “politicking” that gies on behind closed doors in academics and athletics.

i personally feel certain population influx will demand better schools but it may not translate to an improved athletic program for MNPS. If families move out of Davidson County, it is not for safety issues. They simply cannot afford the price tag for a quality private school and they are going for a bargain Williamson County public school.

You sound like my sister. She went to a private here and was saying some of the same things. A kid who was kicked out for rape but got to walk with his class  graduation. A athlete who brung a gun to school and wasn't kicked out and drugs bring sold. 

2 hours ago, runtheball said:

I recently heard that metro is considering doing away with football in some schools and allowing players to play at other schools. 

Actually, I think that might be a possible solution. If a kid wants to play he should have an opportunity to play, even though he may not be as talented as the stud who can pick where he wants to go. Maybe Metro needs to consolidate down to a number of regional teams with strict zoning req.s to prevent poaching by some other Metros. 

More radical, some states have total opening zoning - you can play at any school (public) in the district. Of course, recruiting becomes the obvious problem. 

6 hours ago, burrodaddy said:

Actually, I think that might be a possible solution. If a kid wants to play he should have an opportunity to play, even though he may not be as talented as the stud who can pick where he wants to go. Maybe Metro needs to consolidate down to a number of regional teams with strict zoning req.s to prevent poaching by some other Metros. 

More radical, some states have total opening zoning - you can play at any school (public) in the district. Of course, recruiting becomes the obvious problem. 

Slightly tangential to the points raised in the quote above,  where does RePublic High School fit into the mix?  Technically, they are a public high school. If they begin to get any success on the field (which shouldn't take long in the weak region they are currently in) I can see them possibly attracting a ton of good players from their area of Nashville: Hunters Lane, Maplewood, and Whites Creek.  RePublic is within a three miles radius of all three schools.

7 hours ago, burrodaddy said:

Recruiting is already happening. 

10 hours ago, runtheball said:

I recently heard that metro is considering doing away with football in some schools and allowing players to play at other schools. 

I know that MLK co-op with Pearl-Cohn in football.  If several other Metro schools try this approach you'd best believe there will be an outcry of schools wanting those co-op school totals counting against enrollment numbers.  

2 minutes ago, howdoitknow said:

I know that MLK co-op with Pearl-Cohn in football.  If several other Metro schools try this approach you'd best believe there will be an outcry of schools wanting those co-op school totals counting against enrollment numbers.  

As I believe they should. 

11 hours ago, howdoitknow said:

Why should those enrollment numbers not count?  If two schools co-op for athletics the enrollment numbers from both schools should be combined and the total should be used for TSSAA classification purposes.  The enrollment numbers from both MLK & Pearl Cohn should be combined for football classification within the TSSAA. 

Another issue is that the TSSAA should allow schools to play up in classification in some sports and where the enrollment numbers dictate for other sports.  Example; if a Class A school is great in basketball but only average in baseball they should be allowed to play in the highest classification in basketball if requested but where the enrollment numbers fall out in baseball.  

Edited by cbg