Alcoee comes on ovur two Mairvul

STARSNBARS

I started out in 1A and then, CONSOLIDATION happened.

"Consolidation" -- i.

ËŒkänsəˈlÄdaSHn(É™)n/
noun
noun: consolidation
  1. The death blow to County football programs in Blount County
    "Let's consolidate all these really good community schools that everyone's invested in for decades and build two huge cookie cutter schools that no one will care about. Kids can travel 16 miles to school and we'll sale out their futures for a little cash now.  Then no one will have any emotional connection or community pride in the big schools and they'll pay tuition for their kids to go to other schools. Then we can complain about other schools taking some of our good kids instead of them driving 16 miles to come here and be 1 of 1700 kids. "
    synonyms: Sale out, bad idea, self destructive,
     , unsustainable
    "I realize consolidation was a bad idea, but we're stuck with it, so let's justify it and blame other things for our problems"
    •  

"Consolidation" -- i.

ËŒkänsəˈlÄdaSHn(É™)n/
noun
noun: consolidation
  1. The death blow to County football programs in Blount County
    "Let's consolidate all these really good community schools that everyone's invested in for decades and build two huge cookie cutter schools that no one will care about. Kids can travel 16 miles to school and we'll sale out their futures for a little cash now.  Then no one will have any emotional connection or community pride in the big schools and they'll pay tuition for their kids to go to other schools. Then we can complain about other schools taking some of our good kids instead of them driving 16 miles to come here and be 1 of 1700 kids. "
    synonyms: Sale out, bad idea, self destructive,
     , unsustainable
    "I realize consolidation was a bad idea, but we're stuck with it, so let's justify it and blame other things for our problems"
    •  

I'm torn on this post.  There are certainly some valid and debatable points made.  I spent three years at Friendsville, then was part of the first class at consolidated WB.  I do agree that a lot of natural community affiliation was eliminated.  And the two schools (Heritage and WB) have struggled to build and "sustain" quality football programs.  But I stop short of saying "no one has cared about" the county schools.  From someone who has been somewhat invested in WB since it's inception, I've been privileged to know a lot of folks who have cared.  

We base a whole lot of our judgement here on the football program.  And I believe the football program is headed in a good direction right now.  But there is a whole lot more going on at WB right now than football.  People can say what they want, and throw the rocks now, but the argument, "I'm sending my kids to Maryville or Alcoa because of academics" is becoming a reason that is harder and harder to argue.  In the next few weeks, information about national Merit finalists will become public. I hope everyone pays close attention to the # of finalists from each school ... you might be surprised.  And we've already seen what great strides are being made with ACT scores.  This makes me proud to be an alumni, without diminishing Maryville or Alcoa in any way.  It's awesome that we can say all of our schools are performing well academically.

We speak of community pride or emotional connection.  Well, this year's WB student section is as good of a high school student section that you will ever find.  And our current Administrative Team is as fine of a group of leaders that anyone could ever ask for in any school.

Do we still get mad when we "lose" kids to the city schools?  Sure.  We're human.  Not all of us are as immature or vocal as some are though and believe it or not, NOT ALL OF US hate and despise Maryville and Alcoa.  I am the youth minister to a group of kids that is 97% city of Maryville kids.  And I would kill for them.  But my one WB kid and my three Alcoa kids ...I'm just as proud of and love just as much.

I don't think the city schools "take our kids".  I believe parents take advantage of the freedom they have to send their kids where they think is best.  My goal for WB is for us to continue to convince parents that staying at home, if WB is where you're zoned, is a good decision.  Many know, this is coming from a dad who "chose" to keep  his three kids in county schools, when they could have gone to Maryville.  I never worried a minute about doing that, even though I know they would have received an incredible education and been around incredible teachers and coaches at Maryville.

So yes, 32Hammer, I too at times, regret and miss what it felt like to be a Friendsville Falcon, or a Lanier Eagle, or a Porter Panther, or an Everett Bulldog.  But it is what it is now, and I'M PROUD TO BE A GOVERNOR!

I'm torn on this post. There are certainly some valid and debatable points made. I spent three years at Friendsville, then was part of the first class at consolidated WB. I do agree that a lot of natural community affiliation was eliminated. And the two schools (Heritage and WB) have struggled to build and "sustain" quality football programs. But I stop short of saying "no one has cared about" the county schools. From someone who has been somewhat invested in WB since it's inception, I've been privileged to know a lot of folks who have cared.

We base a whole lot of our judgement here on the football program. And I believe the football program is headed in a good direction right now. But there is a whole lot more going on at WB right now than football. People can say what they want, and throw the rocks now, but the argument, "I'm sending my kids to Maryville or Alcoa because of academics" is becoming a reason that is harder and harder to argue. In the next few weeks, information about national Merit finalists will become public. I hope everyone pays close attention to the # of finalists from each school ... you might be surprised. And we've already seen what great strides are being made with ACT scores. This makes me proud to be an alumni, without diminishing Maryville or Alcoa in any way. It's awesome that we can say all of our schools are performing well academically.

We speak of community pride or emotional connection. Well, this year's WB student section is as good of a high school student section that you will ever find. And our current Administrative Team is as fine of a group of leaders that anyone could ever ask for in any school.

Do we still get mad when we "lose" kids to the city schools? Sure. We're human. Not all of us are as immature or vocal as some are though and believe it or not, NOT ALL OF US hate and despise Maryville and Alcoa. I am the youth minister to a group of kids that is 97% city of Maryville kids. And I would kill for them. But my one WB kid and my three Alcoa kids ...I'm just as proud of and love just as much.

I don't think the city schools "take our kids". I believe parents take advantage of the freedom they have to send their kids where they think is best. My goal for WB is for us to continue to convince parents that staying at home, if WB is where you're zoned, is a good decision. Many know, this is coming from a dad who "chose" to keep his three kids in county schools, when they could have gone to Maryville. I never worried a minute about doing that, even though I know they would have received an incredible education and been around incredible teachers and coaches at Maryville.

So yes, 32Hammer, I too at times, regret and miss what it felt like to be a Friendsville Falcon, or a Lanier Eagle, or a Porter Panther, or an Everett Bulldog. But it is what it is now, and I'M PROUD TO BE A GOVERNOR!

You are a good man....Govman. One of the few that "gets it"!

I'm torn on this post.  There are certainly some valid and debatable points made.  I spent three years at Friendsville, then was part of the first class at consolidated WB.  I do agree that a lot of natural community affiliation was eliminated.  And the two schools (Heritage and WB) have struggled to build and "sustain" quality football programs.  But I stop short of saying "no one has cared about" the county schools.  From someone who has been somewhat invested in WB since it's inception, I've been privileged to know a lot of folks who have cared.  

We base a whole lot of our judgement here on the football program.  And I believe the football program is headed in a good direction right now.  But there is a whole lot more going on at WB right now than football.  People can say what they want, and throw the rocks now, but the argument, "I'm sending my kids to Maryville or Alcoa because of academics" is becoming a reason that is harder and harder to argue.  In the next few weeks, information about national Merit finalists will become public. I hope everyone pays close attention to the # of finalists from each school ... you might be surprised.  And we've already seen what great strides are being made with ACT scores.  This makes me proud to be an alumni, without diminishing Maryville or Alcoa in any way.  It's awesome that we can say all of our schools are performing well academically.

We speak of community pride or emotional connection.  Well, this year's WB student section is as good of a high school student section that you will ever find.  And our current Administrative Team is as fine of a group of leaders that anyone could ever ask for in any school.

Do we still get mad when we "lose" kids to the city schools?  Sure.  We're human.  Not all of us are as immature or vocal as some are though and believe it or not, NOT ALL OF US hate and despise Maryville and Alcoa.  I am the youth minister to a group of kids that is 97% city of Maryville kids.  And I would kill for them.  But my one WB kid and my three Alcoa kids ...I'm just as proud of and love just as much.

I don't think the city schools "take our kids".  I believe parents take advantage of the freedom they have to send their kids where they think is best.  My goal for WB is for us to continue to convince parents that staying at home, if WB is where you're zoned, is a good decision.  Many know, this is coming from a dad who "chose" to keep  his three kids in county schools, when they could have gone to Maryville.  I never worried a minute about doing that, even though I know they would have received an incredible education and been around incredible teachers and coaches at Maryville.

So yes, 32Hammer, I too at times, regret and miss what it felt like to be a Friendsville Falcon, or a Lanier Eagle, or a Porter Panther, or an Everett Bulldog.  But it is what it is now, and I'M PROUD TO BE A GOVERNOR!

Well said. Good points. Great teachers at all the schools. Great students all four schools. I just happen to think that smaller schools are better. I think community schools are more beneficial for the average kid than large schools with over 1500 kids and  over 12 miles from where a kid lives.

Academically, you're outstanding kids will always be outstanding especially with the amazing teachers that all BC schools enjoy. 

I do feel a lot of the positive HS experience is lost for the average kid and even the above average kid at a huge school. Just my opinion, but I certainly respect yours as well.

It is what it is, but it can also be changed. More people will keep moving to BC and we will need to make adjustments. Hopefully those adjustments will be in the kids best interest.

Since this is a football forum I will add this, in the mid to late 70s Walland won a state championship, I think Friendsville went undefeated one year except a loss to Maryville ( I could be wrong), Lanier had a state rushing champ and a guy that went to the NFL. Compare those 6 years to what's been accomplished in the last 30 yrs  with the big schools .