Quarles leaving Maryville

GC_Quincy

KWC,

I am a white guy and I worked an event in Knoxville with a black guy. We hit it off right away and laughed and joked like it was going out of style. At some point, another guy brought up the topic of the rebel flag and the black guy quickly said "I could never be friends with somebody who likes the rebel flag as a symbol". At which point I said "So you wouldnt be friends with me if I had a rebel flag bumper sticker on my truck even though we have a lot in common and get along very well?" He was silent for a long time and finally said "no". I didnt feel any ill will towards him for saying that, but I was disappointed that he would let something that seemed so trivial to me get in the way of friendship. When it comes to symbols like the rebel flag it's important to remember that symbols only have meaning if we attach meaning to them.

To most black folk I know, it is a very powerful symbol. Lynchings and terrorism of black folks in the south are attached to that flag. Most black folk I know attach the racial hate crimes of the past to that flag.

It is the symbol of bigotry, hatred, and murder.

Those things are attached to that flag.

They will be attached to that flag 200 years from today.

They will ALWAYS attached to that flag.

It's not a 'trivial' thing to me, nor was it trivial to the man you met. It is not a trivial thing to most of the black folks I know.

It is a serious as a heart attack.

Edited by kwc

To most black folk I know, it is a very powerful symbol. Lynchings and terrorism of black folks in the south are attached to that flag. Most black folk I know attach the racial hate crimes of the past to that flag.

It's not a 'trivial' thing to me, nor was it trivial to the man you met. It is not a trivial thing to most of the black folks I know.

Thanks KWC for your insight. For many it is not meant that way but I can agree with how it can be perceived. From now on I think I'll take your point of view toward this topic.

kwc, so many times when someone asks this question as 91 did, folks will get upset and offended and then respond based on those feelings and then things get out of hand and nobody gets their point across. I could identify with the scenario as 91 presented it, so thank you for explaining your opinion and most importantly your feelings in a straightforward but sincere way that helps me and hopefully others to appreciate and better indentify with your point of view.

A very compelling response...

Well said.

Concerning the rebel flag all I will say as a white male with a biracial child at that is to just place yourself in a black person's shoes and you will see things concerning that flag very differently. As white people there's no way for us to justify anything that flag represents, because to a black person it represents slavery, hate, and murder. End of story.