Offishull Catholick att Mairvul thread

STARSNBARS

12 hours ago, Compton said:

I've been bitter against Maryville since 12' quarterfinals against db. I felt like db was never giving a realistic chance to win. 2 bogus, mysterious flags that return a td, and great field position by Malik Foreman on a kickoff return. I don't think the game was decided between the players, the refs took charge of that game. I'm not saying db was the better team, it was some home cooking. I thought about it at work tonight, my bitterness has been aim in the wrong direction, should have at the official, instead i took it out on the players. I will admit when I've been petty an this is that time. These kids today at Maryville has nothing to do with back in 12'. From here on out i have no quarrels with Maryville, may the best team win.

Here was my take on that 2012 game…   DB was pretty much a running team, not necessarily bad at passing but not really that good either.   Why?    They never had to pass to win, and the backfield was so fast that once they got past the first level it was off to the races.   DB scored in the 70’s 3 games and in the 50’s 3 games, and it could have been way more points than that.   Now granted, that was against local Tri-cities teams who were just totally outmanned (except SH), but the point is they could just run past everybody, so much speed on the team.  But the point is that DB never had to play from behind and never really had to pass.    Once they got behind at Maryville and were forced to pass they just couldn’t get it done.   Maryville’s defensive line played a very disciplined game at that point.   They never rushed the QB, they just let him run from side to side in the backfield and kept him contained and trusted the secondary to cover the receivers.

One other thing about that game, in Q3 DB had the ball somewhere around Maryville’s 25 and its say 3rd down and 3.   DB comes to the line and I point out to the guy beside me that the left tackle (or maybe tight end) is lined up offsides.  I just happened to be sitting where I could see directly straight down the line.  He nodded in agreement and sure enough here came the flags.   So now it 3rd and 8.  DB comes to the line and I’ll be if the same guy lined up offsides again!   I pointed it out and 2 seconds later here came the flags.    So now it’s 3rd and 13.   Two plays later it’s Maryville’s ball, turnover on downs.     You just cannot get to this level at this point in the season and make mistakes like that.   Sure, it won’t be a problem against Sullivan Central but you just cannot do that against Maryville.

I thought that in 2012 DB may have had the better team.   Yes I know Maryville won but not because of the zebras.    They won because they played more disciplined, they didn’t make mistakes and they executed flawlessly.

2 hours ago, Compton said:

We all do it, last year rw87 and a few others were complaining about the refs in the 1st half in the Fulton game. In the 2nd half i didn't read anymore complaints. It's ancient history, but them 2 costly penalty look very suspicious. I can put that game to be since yall clear up the playoff official.

Wow, you remember a complaint I made a year ago? That's a little creepy. 

5 hours ago, Compton said:

Yeah i agree. And I'm not here to bash coach clark, but i never understood why he had Foreman and Swafford going both ways the entire game, my recollection they never sub out for any plays. When Swafford blew past their secondary and it was called back, he left him in, with no breathers.

Here's some good video of that 2012 game: