Peabody self imposed sanctions per TSSAA

FightingBlue0

Violation of the TSSAA "recruiting" rules.  And yes, Peabody did break the rules as was well reported by the Jackson Sun. The recruiting rules set up by the TSSAA are ridiculously absurd in some instances.  These rules are broken all the time, and mostly inadvertently (and seldom reported). High School coaches are not supposed to have contact with any middle school student that is a potential athlete. MS principals can grant coaches permission to talk to players in a group setting but it has to be in writing.  It doesn't matter if the middle school that "feeds" the high school is in the same zone or not (which is ridiculous).  Rural counties where coaches are more difficult to come by are hit hardest by this madness.  I could go on and on about how stupid the stipulations of some of these recruiting rules are.  Bottom line is if you coach in high school or are an AD, you better know the rules inside and out or this could happen. 

Edited by thegreatwhite1
typo

4 hours ago, swyper01 said:

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is the issue here?

Peabody had a little video that was posted on social media of having a little signing day for 8th their graders at a local middle school. Majority if not all the students at that middle school will go Peabody, and everybody knows it. That video is considered "recruiting" even though all those students would be going to Peabody if it wasn't for the video. Trenton is a "one school town" Everybody goes to the same elementary, middle, and high school.

Assinine.  It is not right that public schools cannot interact with their "feeder" programs in their own zone, but private schools can have guided tours of their schools at anytime and welcome the public...............free of charge.  Private schools also bring in public school kids from other zones or areas and "test' them to make sure they can be accepted, but public schools cannot & have to watch their Ps & Qs.  Correct me if I am wrong.  Everyone who watched Peabody's video knows everyone of those kids will go to Peabody and attend school, whether they play ball or not.  I do not see recruiting involved.  I see Peabody welcoming those kids and parents, which is a great thing.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Red Rebels said:

I just realized that Gibson County has five different school systems in a county of approximately 50,000. 

Blount has three school systems with a county population of approximately 130,000.

I don't know how many incorporated cities you have in Blount Co. In Gibson Co. Milan, Trenton, Humboldt and Bradford all have their own districts kinda like Maryville and Alcoa. Then their is the Gibson Co. School district which includes Gibson Co High School in the North part of the county and South Gibson High School in the south part of the county. 

I learn something new everyday. There are a few historic football programs in that group. 

Blount County has the big two incorporated cities in Maryville/Alcoa that have their own school systems. We also have the incorporated cities of Friendsville, Louisville, Rockford, and Townsend. We had community schools in the county before consolidation back in 1977 (Heritage) and 1979 William Blount.

Walland won the Single A State Championship in 1975.

We also have a bunch of unincorporated towns with post offices and zip codes. Walland, Tallassee, and a small part of the Greenback zip code.