IFL Classic: Maryville vs Out of State

Governm

The Wildkatz changed classes to avoid MARYVILLE after their fans on here kept saying “Wait until MHS steps up to play the big boys”.   Same think Farragut & Bearden said.  None of them has beaten MHS while in the same class.   The Oakland game was enough for this fan, who needs an out of state game just to prove something.  

On 8/30/2018 at 9:32 PM, AsNatureIntended said:

my team is Karns we can't even beat the teams on our schedule but it would be nice to see maryville play a great out of state team. what wud it hurt?

Why would it be nice? 

So far we have played the  defending 5A state champs now div 2 team. 

The #1 team in 6A  . 

And we will play the defending 3A state champs this week. And then Fulton after that.  You people are about stupid.

11 hours ago, BCsportsfan said:

I'd love OR to play Alcoa so we would not have to travel to Kentucky! Since the latest Coach the Wildcats won't even do spring of fall scrimmages....

I would also like to play Alcoa because they are a great program with a very rich tradition. I live in Chattanooga and have no insight on who OR will scrimmage or not and don't care about that right now. I simply expressed my opinion that I would like to see Maryville play a top out of state team. Just tonight, I drove back from Oak Ridge in time to watch a high game on an ESPN channel go to OT and enjoyed it greatly. I simple like High School football and would rather watch a Maryville (TN) vs Hoover (AL) game then Hoover vs a Florida school. Bottom line is what I think don't mean nothing.

19 hours ago, Compton said:

Stars post a picture of the maryville stadium at full capacity, each maryville home game on the low end brings in about 35k. Db sells over 2k in season tickets every year, they send 400+ plus band members 2 the rose bowl and Macy day parade in alternate years. Blackman and Oakland doesn't have the fanbase as maryville and they both still funded themselves 2 Alabama, what am I'm missing here why the maryville doesn't have the funds.

Championship rings run about $25 grand a year. The teams you mention don’t have that expense. 

But it would be cool to play some N GA teams at the UTC stadium. Send $

• Like 1

The Oakland and Maryville game really came about because each team had a tenth slot that nobody wanted to play either team. Turned out to be a goldmine for both teams. With the schedule Maryville has and the way it is laid out in the order it is their playing the right teams at the right time for big crowd draws. You go out of state and play on a Friday Night and very few of the fans are going to make it. I wouldn't change anything. It was nice to look across the field last year and see the visitor stands jammed packed for the first time in years. If I were the AD and how much they made on this schedule versus other years I would not change a thing. Nothing looks worse than seeing empty stands across the field because your playing nobody's and no one with any sence is going to come to see it.

• Like 1

Excluding championship games and bowls, neutral site games are mostly horrible, soulless money grabs at any level of football. Even today's ones which will be well attended, like UT vs. WVU, Washington vs. Auburn, and Alabama vs. Louisville, are dumb. 

BA vs. MHS in Cookeville would be as senseless as today's Ole Miss vs. Texas Tech game in Houston. 

Edited by abetee

How about Maryville playing Oak Ridge? Oh we did that. How about Maryville playing Fulton? How about Maryville playing Catholic? Doing it. How about Maryville and Oakland traveling 3 hours for a regular season game? Oh we are doing that too. It’s never going to enough for all the Maryville haters. Envy and jealousy are ugly. 

1 hour ago, rebelwoman87 said:

How about Maryville playing Oak Ridge? Oh we did that. How about Maryville playing Fulton? How about Maryville playing Catholic? Doing it. How about Maryville and Oakland traveling 3 hours for a regular season game? Oh we are doing that too. It’s never going to enough for all the Maryville haters. Envy and jealousy are ugly. 

You schedule the best that will play you and it’s still not enough sometimes.........

I know for a fact that when Bobby Bentley was coaching those great Byrnes teams in South Carolina he tried to get a home and away with Maryville but was told they had zero interest.  The response was that between the region games and the rivalry games they played there was no room on the schedule.

Edited by cbg