Dobyns Bennett

kingindian33

Its only because certain folks did not think of it.  LOL  I personally am glad that 'person' is now in prison.  If I had not been retired already, it would have been me having to do the investigation and sending him to prison.  That would have been the THIRD Tn Sheriff I sent to jail and removed from office.

First one was Fate Thomas in Nashville!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lost Old Dad said:

You are not getting it.  By taking over the concessions the FOOTBALL team will get BOTH as the Band WILL ask to be able to play, and thusly the band parents WILL show up.

Only down side is the band will have to find themselves a new source of REVENUE. 

BTW the $50,000 is a LOW estimate.  I have seen R'dale generate in excess of $250,000 in one season.  Now you know why we had the big investigation of various teams here a couple of years ago as to where funds were going.  IE., Blackman............

BTW are YOU the Band Director?  I ask as I know no one there.

You are probably correct. I may not be getting it. I thought you said something about the band NOT playing. In that case the band would not be at the game and the football team could do the concessions instead of the band parents and the football team would be getting all the revenue. Both the gate and the concessions. This is what I thought you were speaking of. If it’s not my apologies. 

If if it is what you meant. I am simply warning that the loss of ticket revenue from band parents not coming to the game as a result of the band not performing may override the money generated by the concessions. I may be wrong but I would estimate at almost 500 kids in the band and a couple of parents per child that’s almost 1000 tickets not sold. At $6-$7 per person that’s a hefty loss. And no I am not the DB band director. However I am a long time music teacher/band director/school administrator in TN and MO. I have had many groups work football concessions and understand how it works. 

On 10/30/2018 at 1:42 PM, Lost Old Dad said:

Here is a novel idea.  Tell the Band you do not NEED/WANT them at any football games.  Second tell them the football boosters are now doing and keeping the concessions money.

Rankin had that rule at R'dale.  The band came around, but the football boosters are still running the concessions and keeping that money for the FOOTBALL team!

My apologies LOD. I had to go back and reread the part about it happening at Riverdale and the band eventually “came around”. So in that case the football team was getting both revenue streams without the loss of attendance. Again my apologies. 

22 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

My apologies LOD. I had to go back and reread the part about it happening at Riverdale and the band eventually “came around”. So in that case the football team was getting both revenue streams without the loss of attendance. Again my apologies. 

Not a problem.  Main thing is for DB to be competitive in football again.  If it takes telling the Band they are not necessary for a football game to be played, so be it.

2 minutes ago, Lost Old Dad said:

Not a problem.  Main thing is for DB to be competitive in football again.  If it takes telling the Band they are not necessary for a football game to be played, so be it.

Just my two cents but I think that it probably has something to do with attitude, work ethic and coaching and not the band but I could be totally wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Just my two cents but I think that it probably has something to do with attitude, work ethic and coaching and not the band but I could be totally wrong. 

Yeah....that's grasping at straws to the extreme to think the band is in any way responsible for the performance of the football program. 

Football can survive without the band. They aren't necessary to have a football game. They make it some what more exciting but aren't necessary. However some band directors and band parents don't see it this way. But they'd be wrong. If no band showed up for a Friday night football game it could and would go on and be just as much fun.

Dobyns Bennett people have made such a big deal out of their band, they think it is more important than their football team. And last time I checked football was the reason for gathering on Friday night and the band was invited to support the team. Not the other way around! 

Now I'll catch a bunch of grief over this but it's the truth so I don't care.

1 hour ago, tj3775 said:

DB Band goes to NATIONAL LEVEL competitions. DB Football can't make it to the playoffs. Which program is more successful?

Is the other band out on the field at the same time, trying to take their instruments away and beat them over the head with them? Comparing the two is crazy. What if football teams ran plays against air and we judged them from the stands. 

11 hours ago, bounder said:

Football can survive without the band. They aren't necessary to have a football game. They make it some what more exciting but aren't necessary. However some band directors and band parents don't see it this way. But they'd be wrong. If no band showed up for a Friday night football game it could and would go on and be just as much fun.

Dobyns Bennett people have made such a big deal out of their band, they think it is more important than their football team. And last time I checked football was the reason for gathering on Friday night and the band was invited to support the team. Not the other way around! 

Now I'll catch a bunch of grief over this but it's the truth so I don't care.

SUPPORT FUNCTION