WEST TENNESSEE FOOTBALL IS AWFUL

BVDevil

9 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Agree, but I am curious to see what Humboldt, Westview, Lexington, and Fayette Ware looks like in 3 years. In addition, no one is giving credit to the turnaround that Coach Frost and Coach Reeder are doing. Riverside is a good team with an exceptional defense and South Side is a good team with Eric Latham. Can’t forget about those two. Also, Camden seems to improved a lot from last year.

You mentioned Westview but they have shown no improvement in the last 3 years.   Once, the long time coach retired and moved to Mayfield, the Chargers have shown very little signs of life.   They apparently have a highly rated freshman QB but......

15 hours ago, tradertwo said:

The thing that kills Memphis is that players move around like free agents. The good teams are great and the not so good are awful, because all the athletes migrate to the few that are currently prominent. Coaching ( I'm gonna get blasted ) is suspect city wide with a very few exceptions. Whitehaven is a prime example...they have two gold balls (one legit) over Maryville, yet have had tremendously more talented teams...D1 athletes at almost every position (and some on the bench), versus Maryville's precision play with some good athletes, but few D1 3,4, or 5 star recruits. Good coaching and distribution of talent more evenly would balance the scales.  

Tradertwo:

Whithaven does have a lot of talent. But those D1 talented players are groomed into such. There is a whole other element that goes on as to why Whitehaven has so many players get scholly's. You can blast the coaching if you like for lack of gold balls. That comes with the territory of having so many players get LOIs. 

However, I will go on to say this. More schools could get their players to get scholarships. They don't have the drive nor the motivation that the coaching staff at Whitehaven has when it comes to this. So ... if Whitehaven doesn't get a gold ball every year and it is deemed that they aren't good coaches. I'lll live with that because of the amount of work that is done in the off season getting players exposed to college coaches.

Quite frankly, the Whitehaven coaching staff has proven to be the best there is arond in Tennessee at this. Those D1 offers are earned during the spring and summer every year. It takes a committed coach who travels with his player to the many camps and works with and prepares his players to excell at these events. That stuff doesn't just happen.

Winning gold balls and getting players recruited aren't one and the same. They are two very different things. So ... feel free to bash the Whitehaven coaches as incompetent (alluded). It doesn't surprise me. 

Don't get me wrong. There are Whitehaven fans who want changes and they think that Whitehaven should play in the championship game every year without fail. It was already said that if Whitehaven doesn't get to the championship game this year then this season was a failure. So, the Whitehaven coaches are aware of what is being said. Quite frankly, how may programs have that kind of expectations on their players and coaching staff ... annually? Not many. I think it is a good problem to have.

Edited by kwc
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, kwc said:

Tradertwo:

Whithaven does have a lot of talent. But those D1 talented players are groomed into such. There is a whole other element that goes on as to why Whitehaven has so many players get scholly's. You can blast the coaching if you like for lack of gold balls. That comes with the territory of having so many players get LOIs. 

However, I will go on to say this. More schools could get their players to get scholarships. They don't have the drive nor the motivation that the coaching staff at Whitehaven has when it comes to this. So ... if Whitehaven doesn't get a gold ball every year and it is deemed that they aren't good coaches. I'lll live with that because of the amount of work that is done in the off season getting players exposed to college coaches.

Quite frankly, the Whitehaven coaching staff has proven to be the best there is arond in Tennessee at this. Those D1 offers are earned during the spring and summer every year. It takes a committed coach who travels with his player to the many camps and works with and prepares his players to excell at these events. That stuff doesn't just happen.

Winning gold balls and getting players recruited aren't one and the same. They are two very different things. So ... feel free to bash the Whitehaven coaches as incompetent (alluded). It doesn't surprise me. 

Don't get me wrong. There are Whitehaven fans who want changes and they think that Whitehaven should play in the championship game every year without fail. It was already said that if Whitehaven doesn't get to the championship game this year then this season was a failure. So, the Whitehaven coaches are aware of what is being said. Quite frankly, how may programs have that kind of expectations on their players and coaching staff ... annually? Not many. I think it is a good problem to have.

I agree with the positives to the point that I almost included them as a disclaimer… It still doesn't let the coach off the hook for in game coaching ability. The game with Maryville could be exhibit A, as the talent was so lopsided that Coach Q had to pull the trick play out to win. A tie to him at that point was a loss, because the players from Whitehaven had adjusted to Maryville's game planning on their own, and were wearing the Rebs out with speed, size, and athleticism... If they had decided to replay the game again in a week, Whitehaven would have won big.

I would like to say that I immensely respect Coach Saulsbury for his work in acquiring schollys for his kids, and say that more coaches should have their players best interests in mind after their usefulness to the program is done.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tradertwo said:

I agree with the positives to the point that I almost included them as a disclaimer… It still doesn't let the coach off the hook for in game coaching ability. The game with Maryville could be exhibit A, as the talent was so lopsided that Coach Q had to pull the trick play out to win. A tie to him at that point was a loss, because the players from Whitehaven had adjusted to Maryville's game planning on their own, and were wearing the Rebs out with speed, size, and athleticism... If they had decided to replay the game again in a week, Whitehaven would have won big.

I would like to say that I immensely respect Coach Saulsbury for his work in acquiring schollys for his kids, and say that more coaches should have their players best interests in mind after their usefulness to the program is done.

Let me add another point of emphasis. Whitehaven's 'lack of coaching' emphasis on Saulberry is on this wise. Coach Saulsberry is the HC. He is not the OC. He is not the DC. He has the ability to have input in either phase ... but he let's his coordinators run their systems and do their thing. Of course they talk and pre-plan during the week leading up to the games ... but on gamesday ... the coordinators make the calls. He has always handled things like that. Good, bad, or indifferent. He's loyal to his coaching staff and his coaching staff is loyal to him.

If you come to a Whitehaven game and you look on the sidelines, you will see anywhere from 14 to 18 coaches on the sideline at any given game. I think 5-6 are actually staff. The rest are all volunteer and they are ex-Whitehaven high school football players who give back. There are more in the background. The head principal is an ex-Whitehaven high school football HC. He's an alum. The majority of the football staff are Whiethaven alumn.

You won't find that anywhere else in Memphis. I said that to say ... Whitehaven is very unique. It is an urban school with a TON of community support, thet generally doesn't happen in these types of settings. 

You aren't the first to say the Whitehaven coaches aren't the best at in game adjustments or their coaching acumen could be better or whatever.

All I know is this ... since coach Saulsberry has taken over, Whitehaven is always in contention to go deep in the playoffs on a yearly basis. Whitehaven is a favorite to get to the gold ball game every preseason. Getting put out in the quartefinals is considered a bad year. Losing in the semi-finals is considered underacheivement. Whitehaven consistently has huge amounts of talent. Whitehaven has consistently had multiple players sign LOIs annually. The talent is so rich, that folk like you state that, with their talent, they should win it all and beat teams like Maryville handily.

I don't know but ... I think that is pretty awesome. So, if folks like you think the coaching at Whitehaven ... LACKS something ... go ahead. I know this, it is easier to sit and evaluate and say what you think should happen, then it is to actually DO it. If the coaches at Whitehaven aren't good in-game coaches ... i'm glad they just out-talent folks to over compensate for their lack of coaching acumen.

Thank God for talent.

On 10/30/2018 at 12:48 AM, rebelman101 said:

I will agree on some circumstances with your post. But I disagree on a lot.

In 1A: Dresden lost their best player. This was a team that was expected to make a run for the title but without Yates they fizzled out. I am proud to see the success that Greenfield and West Carroll are having. West Carroll has a great coach in Coach Wolfe and he gets his team to play hard each and every play. Huntingdon is Huntingdon so they are always good.

In 2A: McKenzie needs to get rid of Coach Comer. That's their problem. Union City has dealt with injuries all year. Adamsville is very young so give them a year or two to rebuild. Gibson County is one of the great stories that we will remember in 2018. They handed Peabody their only loss and have made the playoffs for the first time since 2000 or 2001. I am excited to see what Fairley does this postseason. 

In 3A: Milan continues to try to find their success but they continue to win the games they need to. McNairy improved greatly from last year. South Gibson is a young school and with the success that they have had the past couple of years, I expect to them to continue to build their program.

In 4A; Dyersburg is having a fantastic year. They will definitely be a threat in the playoffs. Haywood played one of the toughest schedules in the state. They are battle tested and the tomcats are ready to roll in the playoffs. Not sure what happened to Crockett county but I think a unexpected loss to Obion county and a rough three games to end the year is to blame. 

In 5A: Henry County is back!!! They gave Germantown their toughest test and finished out the year strong. I thought this team would be down after losing Lucas Reynolds but I was wrong. They are rolling and are the best team in 5A (my opinion). Dyer County ended the year strong and they seem a lil bit better than last year.

Dyersburg wont see cookeville and if they do, they will get humiliated by Greeneville, OR, if by some biblical chance, a miracle happens and AC or Betsy make cookeville, but honestly, i should have my fingers chopped off for even typing this because the only teams in the state RIGHT NOW that could compete with Greeneville are in 6a and that one little team in blount county in 3a....just one mans humble.....VERY humble opinion...lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BVDevil said:

Dyersburg wont see cookeville and if they do, they will get humiliated by Greeneville, OR, if by some biblical chance, a miracle happens and AC or Betsy make cookeville, but honestly, i should have my fingers chopped off for even typing this because the only teams in the state RIGHT NOW that could compete with Greeneville are in 6a and that one little team in blount county in 3a....just one mans humble.....VERY humble opinion...lol

Yea you humble alright :lol::lol::lol:. Sounds like you need to take one game at a time. It's the playoffs and anything can happen. There are some good teams that you will meet in the playoffs. You have no respect for other teams across the state that work their butt off every day to be the next state champions. In the playoffs you take one game at a time and if you don't take someone seriously (like Dyersburg, Haywood, etc.), you could lose. I am calling it like I see it  and stating the facts about West Tennessee football because apparently you don't know anything about it.

1 hour ago, rebelman101 said:

Yea you humble alright :lol::lol::lol:. Sounds like you need to take one game at a time. It's the playoffs and anything can happen. There are some good teams that you will meet in the playoffs. You have no respect for other teams across the state that work their butt off every day to be the next state champions. In the playoffs you take one game at a time and if you don't take someone seriously (like Dyersburg, Haywood, etc.), you could lose. I am calling it like I see it  and stating the facts about West Tennessee football because apparently you don't know anything about it.

I guess yall dont see or hear alot of sarcasm out west do ya? at the very end i said my "VERY humble opion with an LOL thrown in there. That was suppose to indicate to you or anyone else that I was being sarcastic about my "humblisity". Look, i know very well how hard all the kids across the state work every year to try to get to what ever level they are trying to get to. For some, its to win one game. For some, its to make the playoffs, for the rest, its to take their best shot at winning state.  You couldnt be more wrong about me not having respect for other teams. I too call it like i see it and right now, i dont see anyone competing with Greeneville, AC or Elizabethton at the 4a level. Hey, i could end up being dead wrong about this and Greeneville could get beat by East Hamilton this friday in round one and if that happens I will be on here to give my proper respects and eat my crow. And to be honest, if THAT happens, i hope that flying pig stops by and gives me a lift to the mental hospital because i will most likely be on the "ledge" somewhere...HAHAHA. Best of luck to every kid in the great state of Tennessee this friday night as they embark on what for them, will culminate in hoisting that big gold ball at tucker stadium in 5 short weeks. And good luck to you too sir, If you have one playing or even if you dont, im sure you have a favorite team.

Edited by BVDevil
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, rebelman101 said:

I am sure BVD has lots of respect and knows more about football then you think!  We all know that most of teams throughout the whole state of TN no matter the classification/region work extremely hard despite what their record may show!  To be uno # ONE you have to beat uno # ONE 1st.   Respect is earned ,not given!  It is the playoffs and yes anything is possible on any given day, but some are a realist!  Example: do you honestly see DyersBurg 10-0 losing Friday against a 0-10 team?--I didn't think so!  I wish the best to all of the high school teams that made it to the playoffs and hope everyone comes out with no injuries.

Now, being a realist, that little ole GREENE team down in that little ole POdon county in upper north east TN is the team to beat!   Can it be done, we'll like I said anything is possible on any given day.   That other little ole team they call Betsy in the same little ole POdon county in the same upper east TN area shouldn't be looked over either.  Now for that big ole team in Knoxville that's called the mavericks, they have a good qb, but I don't know if they have been battle tested enough??like some these teams out in the west or central area -Haywood or Marshall County, and I'll throw Springfield in the mix.  Lot of games left to be played.  It's blessing to be part of it, and I am sure most are excited to see how things turn out.  I believe Greeneville has a great opportunity take of business again in 2018, and I am sure they will not overlook anyone and will play will their ears peeled back!