Smith County HC vacancy

kingofthenorth

2 hours ago, UpperCumberlandMan said:

Why in the world would a coach leave UHS, Putnam County pay, Putnam County athletes,  For Carthage? 

Ask Jimmy Maynord.  Money ain't everything to a coach...support and a chance to win are high on the list.

Upperman is up and down..........as much if not more  basketball and baseball than football.  You must not have been around much between the late 90's to around 2011.  No comparison with Putnam Co. ( Cookville or Baxter) to SC.  Where do you think things like the indoor facility come from..... people back the program.  A good coach can come in and get people excited again and get it rolling.....SC has ALWAYS had more support and  travels better than anyone else in the area....when they are rolling....  

Edited by Reynard

52 minutes ago, Reynard said:

Ask Jimmy Maynord.  Money ain't everything to a coach...support and a chance to win are high on the list.

Upperman is up and down..........as much if not more  basketball and baseball than football.  You must not have been around much between the late 90's to around 2011.  No comparison with Putnam Co. ( Cookville or Baxter) to SC.  Where do you think things like the indoor facility come from..... people back the program.  A good coach can come in and get people excited again and get it rolling.....SC has ALWAYS had more support and  travels better than anyone else in the area....when they are rolling....  

Why ask Jimmy, he had his butt handed to him by Caine. I disagree with most of what you said.   Until like 1992, UHS was a small rural single A school. They since have moved up to 2A in 1996, went to semi finals, and 3A, went to semi finals in 2013.  Since 2013 UHS has won or tied for district championship in football 4 times with a playoff record of 7-5 and  counting. The days of "Baxter" being a easy win are way past over. To give you a look at the talent, looks at what the other sports do, both boys and girls. Another huge advantage is UHS can pull players from 5 different junior highs since Putnam is open enrollment without zones. By 2020 UHS will most likely move up to 4a with Dekalb, Stone, Cumberland, LA, Macon and still advantages talent wise. From friends, money is very good in Putnam compared to other area schools plus what the boosters give. Facilities lack a bit at UHS but if that new on campus JR High is any indicator,  they won't stay bad for long. They jobs and tax base in Putnam compared to other schools outside Putnam is a huge advantage. 

Edited by UpperCumberlandMan

I think SC will go with a young coach that's not on most peoples radar.  There is a lot of young assistant coaches that would love to take over a 3A program.   SC has good fan support.  With the right leadership, its a program with the ability to be competitive.  I have heard several names but I think they will hire a coach that doesn't have any ties to the program.  

Edited by GoBlue98

28 minutes ago, UpperCumberlandMan said:

Why ask Jimmy, he had his butt handed to him by Caine. I disagree with most of what you said.   Until like 1992, UHS was a small rural single A school. They since have moved up to 2A in 1996, went to semi finals, and 3A, went to semi finals in 2013.  Since 2013 UHS has won or tied for district championship in football 4 times with a playoff record of 7-5 and  counting. The days of "Baxter" being a easy win are way past over. To give you a look at the talent, looks at what the other sports do, both boys and girls. Another huge advantage is UHS can pull players from 5 different junior highs since Putnam is open enrollment without zones. By 2020 UHS will most likely move up to 4a with Dekalb, Stone, Cumberland, LA, Macon and still advantages talent wise. From friends, money is very good in Putnam compared to other area schools plus what the boosters give. Facilities lack a bit at UHS but if that new on campus JR High is any indicator,  they won't stay bad for long. They jobs and tax base in Putnam compared to other schools outside Putnam is a huge advantage. 

You made my point for me........WHO do you think took Baxter to the semis in 1996 ???  CAINE??? 

You don't think everyone knew then Baxter was growing.......that Putnam was a bigger county with more kids to pull from, and better pay. Had just went as far as the semis...   But the coach with all that chose to come to SC???  NOW , you answer your own question.  Tell me, with all your infinite wisdom ........why would he do that?? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UpperCumberlandMan said:

Let me help you a little more in answering your question. you said     "Since  2013 Upperman.....

Let's go back a little further

Since 2001 SC has won 131 lost 48 games.  Beat Upper 15 times  (lost 3)  Been to 34 playoff game and is 17 and 17       Been to 4 quarter finals and 2 semi finals.

Now, I will say Upperman has had two very good years , 2018 and 2013,,,,,,,other than that....well, you see for yourself But  If money is a factor.....your right without any argument,    

9 hours ago, Reynard said:

You made my point for me........WHO do you think took Baxter to the semis in 1996 ???  CAINE??? 

You don't think everyone knew then Baxter was growing.......that Putnam was a bigger county with more kids to pull from, and better pay. Had just went as far as the semis...   But the coach with all that chose to come to SC???  NOW , you answer your own question.  Tell me, with all your infinite wisdom ........why would he do that?? 

Because 23 years ago Smith was 3a powerhouse and UHS was moving up the next few years to 3a dressing about 30 kids. Back two decades ago that was a good move. No current coach now would pick SC job over UHS job. If you don't think that accurate,  ask Maynord himself. Rankin left and will never be back. Maynord did the same and won't return or ever come to LA. Maynord coached at Smith when he dominated Gordonsville on and off the field till right at the end. Sorta like Pemberton in Macon. Rual county schools pull 99 percent from one junior high with a few move ins, are hard to coach at higher than the 2a level.  You got Pearl Cohn with athletes everywhere, and picking n choosing from Martin Luther. Alcoa is Alcoa. East Nashville can be 2-8 one year and 10-0 the next with what moves in or simply comes out to play. Coaches know this. It different from old alumni coaches staying home.....but the best of the best want a good place to live,  good money to coach, and a big talent pool to pull from in comparison to who they compete with. 

UHS is 51-20, 2013-current, could be two semi final teams, with wins over Chat Catholic, Loudon, Redbank( could be twice) , Tyner, Cookeville, Trousdale....... Its not the same old Baxter. Heck they even look pretty dominant over 12-0 Watertown during the jamboree. 

Edited by UpperCumberlandMan

10 hours ago, UpperCumberlandMan said:

Because 23 years ago Smith was 3a powerhouse and UHS was moving up the next few years to 3a dressing about 30 kids. Back two decades ago that was a good move. No current coach now would pick SC job over UHS job. If you don't think that accurate,  ask Maynord himself. Rankin left and will never be back. Maynord did the same and won't return or ever come to LA. Maynord coached at Smith when he dominated Gordonsville on and off the field till right at the end. Sorta like Pemberton in Macon. Rual county schools pull 99 percent from one junior high with a few move ins, are hard to coach at higher than the 2a level.  You got Pearl Cohn with athletes everywhere, and picking n choosing from Martin Luther. Alcoa is Alcoa. East Nashville can be 2-8 one year and 10-0 the next with what moves in or simply comes out to play. Coaches know this. It different from old alumni coaches staying home.....but the best of the best want a good place to live,  good money to coach, and a big talent pool to pull from in comparison to who they compete with. 

UHS is 51-20, 2013-current, could be two semi final teams, with wins over Chat Catholic, Loudon, Redbank( could be twice) , Tyner, Cookeville, Trousdale....... Its not the same old Baxter. Heck they even look pretty dominant over 12-0 Watertown during the jamboree. 

23 years ago, Smith was in 2A, and far from a powerhouse. They had a decent season in 96, but that was it. As far as I can recollect, Smith and Upperman have always been in the same class.

13 hours ago, Reynard said:

Let me help you a little more in answering your question. you said     "Since  2013 Upperman.....

Let's go back a little further

Since 2001 SC has won 131 lost 48 games.  Beat Upper 15 times  (lost 3)  Been to 34 playoff game and is 17 and 17       Been to 4 quarter finals and 2 semi finals.

Now, I will say Upperman has had two very good years , 2018 and 2013,,,,,,,other than that....well, you see for yourself But  If money is a factor.....your right without any argument,    

Curious about something in your last statement.  Tobacco money isn't what it used to be, but I always heard/assumed the McCall's would kick in and make it competitive in Carthage.  Is that not the case?

2 hours ago, VictoryFormation said:

Curious about something in your last statement.  Tobacco money isn't what it used to be, but I always heard/assumed the McCall's would kick in and make it competitive in Carthage.  Is that not the case?

Tobacco money and  Tom M.....that was Lafayette MCHS. They paid a lot for Pemberton but he went to a more greener pasture athletically and finically in Brentwood. I am sure they pay a good amount to the home town boy Shoulders.