4 seeds should be Wildcards.

Let me say first, I'm not advocating another "Z" plan run.   At least with the current system, probably 75 percent of the 1st round games are determined by week 11.   That's a huge benefit to the Coaching staffs knowing where and who'll they'll face in the first round.   With the "Z" plan no one had a clue who there opponent would be and in some instances who actually got in until it was announced the Saturday following the regular season.    We saw some extreme travel, but let's be honest, we see some with this system as well.

I thought it was a great suggestion to have an "at large" seed as the fourth qualifier in the 1st round.   It would prevent a lot of teams like Memphis East who was awarded a playoff spot with an 0-10 record and scoring 12 points all season.   It's the ONLY way we could fix that issue.   I'm sure the TSSAA doesn't like a 4 team region anymore than we do, but geography and enrollment sometimes dictate that stuff.    I don't even have a problem with them using the old "Z" plan criteria to set those last 8 spots.   I wouldn't weight it as heavily on "overall record" though.   I'd use overall record "in class or above" as the first tie-breaker.   That would reward folks who don't schedule smaller schools to pad numbers.  

I'd be shocked if anything other than the current system is used anytime soon, but it does make for interesting conversation.

I liked the playoffs better when they only took 3 teams in a region. I also liked it better when you didn't see another region opponent until the 3rd or 4th round. Lake County and Bruceton was in the same region and meet in the semifinals both in 94 and 95. You got to play teams from regions 5 and 6 in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Made it much more interesting.

On 7/26/2019 at 1:30 PM, rtl112 said:

Heck, lets just do the top two teams out of every region and eliminate a whole round in the playoffs.  Only disadvantage would be that it would probably keep some good teams home in some of the tougher regions.

I would agree but knowing especially 1 and 2A a lot of schools don't have a huge booster club or many businesses for sponsorship. That 1st round money can mean a lot to a school on the upswing. Without it now think it would be even harder for non traditional powers to succeed. 

10 hours ago, midtnmale said:

The best way to eliminate weak 4th place teams is to have fewer classifications.  Maybe in another twenty years Tennessee will have enough schools to properly round out six classifications. 

Bernard Childress is on board with 5 public school classifications from what I have read. But the board had to approve it.

3 minutes ago, WarEagleCartman said:

I also like how in some other states if you win state 2 or 3 years in a row you get moved up a class.

Indiana has a system like that. All it does is punish teams for being successful. Instead of every other team stepping up their programs let's make the most successful team move up because their winners

3 minutes ago, ReitzFan said:

Indiana has a system like that. All it does is punish teams for being successful. Instead of every other team stepping up their programs let's make the most successful team move up because their winners

Yeah after typing that I realized that goes against most of my values. I guess it just sounded good. 

5 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

4 hours ago, WarEagleCartman said:

Yeah after typing that I realized that goes against most of my values. I guess it just sounded good. 

So say if they did get moved up what would it take for them to get moved back down? Would they just be stuck?