Round 3 Fairley @ Peabody

Goldenpride

6 minutes ago, inthagap said:

All the other things aside, they were a really good basketball team in the early eighties( yes, I'm kinda old) . Went to finals I think in '82. Had Clyde Drexler and Hakeem O ( if you can spell his last name you win the prize). They were coached to go for ever dunk they could get....thus"Phi Slamma Jamma". Very fun to watch, but brought up very much out of context.

Yes I remember this team.  They were special.  This comment came after the photo of Peabody was posted.  It does not take a brain surgeon to see what that General guy is all about.  He is your typical 

_ _ _ _ _ _.   He has a superiority complex.

Edited by Golddoctor

Just now, Golddoctor said:

Yes I remember this team.  They were special.  This comment came after the phot of Peabody was posted.  It does not take a brain surgeon to see what that General guy is all about.  He is your typical 

_ _ _ _ _ _. 

fill in the blanks

Gotcha , not too hard for most to read between the lines. I, and most of us, have no idea what the others do, look like ,or believe in. The thing that brings us together is the love of high school sports and the kids that work hard for their team. Good luck Friday night.... But, a team from the East will bring home the Gold Ball.

2 minutes ago, inthagap said:

Gotcha , not too hard for most to read between the lines. I, and most of us, have no idea what the others do, look like ,or believe in. The thing that brings us together is the love of high school sports and the kids that work hard for their team. Good luck Friday night.... But, a team from the East will bring home the Gold Ball.

Thanks for the reply.  It is okay to believe in your team.  Good luck to you also. Only time will tell who takes home the Gold

Edited by Golddoctor

20 minutes ago, inthagap said:

All the other things aside, they were a really good basketball team in the early eighties( yes, I'm kinda old) . Went to finals I think in '82. Had Clyde Drexler and Hakeem O ( if you can spell his last name you win the prize). They were coached to go for ever dunk they could get....thus"Phi Slamma Jamma". Very fun to watch, but brought up very much out of context.

If you think you are old, I played football in the 8th grade with the old monkey ear styled helmets and the strap on hip pads. Talk about hand-me-down equipment

I didn't take the post as being racial or anything along that line.

Phi Slamma Jamma was just a term for a group of great basketball athletes at the University of Houston that played above the rim. And really no one before them had done that with such fluidity as they had.  I take it as a group of great athletes that have made it to this pinnacle at this point and will be showcasing their talent. 

All of us wanted to emulate Phi Slamma Jamma back in those days.  Even us white guys.  

Edited by Southtowner

I think you guys need to hold up on the whole race thing, that never entered my mind when I read his comment. The reference comes from the magnitude of the upset, not the racial makeup of the teams playing... phi slamma jamma was being talked up as the greatest college team ever assembled, and faced Jim Valvano's NC State team in the final game that virtually had no shot to even make the sweet 16. If you've seen the clip where Jimmy V, is running around the court looking for someone to hug, that's the game.

BTW inthagap, Olajuwon is the name... they put Hakeem on the back of the jersey for a while.

6 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

I think you guys need to hold up on the whole race thing, that never entered my mind when I read his comment. The reference comes from the magnitude of the upset, not the racial makeup of the teams playing... phi slamma jamma was being talked up as the greatest college team ever assembled, and faced Jim Valvano's NC State team in the final game that virtually had no shot to even make the sweet 16. If you've seen the clip where Jimmy V, is running around the court looking for someone to hug, that's the game.

BTW inthagap, Olajuwon is the name... they put Hakeem on the back of the jersey for a while.

Ding, ding, you win!!! 

And I never thought of it from that prospective...and I think The General wasn't either.

Edited by inthagap

8 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

Phi Slamma is on the level with the Fab 5 to me.  They came in and changed the look of basketball and some would say culture and style as well.  

Add the Tark the Shark's Runnin' Rebels to those two and you have the best three teams ever.

Even though I had to give the fab 5 their credit, I couldn't have slept without saying that "my" Heel's beat 'em!!!

Edited by tradertwo

5 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

You guys don't know the back story.  I can respect your opinion but tell us why this statement came after Peabody's picture was posted.  We all know the Memphis team is 99% black and we know Peabody has a decent percentage of diverse players.  Don't get it twisted.  We are here to have fun on the T.  There is no room for racist statements.  

Edited by Golddoctor
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

Valvano's NC State team was a Cinderella story that whole tournament.  Unbelievable what they were able to accomplish. 

3 minutes ago, Golddoctor said:

You guys don't know the back story.  I can respect your opinion but tell us why this statement came after Peabody's picture was posted.  We all know the Memphis team is 99% black and we know Peabody has a decent percentage of diverse players.  Don't get it twisted.  We are here to have fun on the T.  There is no room for racist ideology.  

We can clearly see the elephant in the room

Edited by Golddoctor