Huntingdon Mustangs Vs Lake Co. Falcons

horse

Ok so for my own information I’ve been going through my boxes of old newspapers. Let me first say I had forgotten how fabulous the Jackson Suns football coverage used to be. For those that don’t remember they used to have a guy that would draw cartoons on the front page of the sports section for big games. Box scores, the works. The Gannett Corp has drove that paper into the ground. But I digress. Carroll News Leader Oct 14th, 2003.

” It was a playoff atmosphere this past Friday night at Paul Ward Stadium as the Huntingdon Mustangs played host to the Milan Bulldogs in front of a standing room only crowd with an estimated 6,500 in attendance.”

As a side note Milan won this game 24-7. After this game the Stangs went to their jet wing package for the remainder of the year and the rest is history.

Carroll News Leader November 25, 2003

Fridays semifinal state playoff game will start at 7 pm. The gates will open at 4 pm. In the regular season contest more than 6,400 tickets were sold and this contest is expected to have a larger audience in attendance. “ I’ve heard that we should expect around 8,000 this go around as this will be the only game in West Tennessee.”Advance tickets will be sold at both schools offices this week leading up to the game.

Side note- This is the coldest game I have ever attended. I seem to remember it was 26 degrees at kickoff. There were snow showers throughout the day here and I-40 ended up being shut down in Middle Tennessee and many people ended up stuck and didn’t make it to the game. Therefore the estimates of 8,000 were greatly exaggerated.

Carroll News Leader December 2nd, 2003

Headlines: MUSTANGS TAKE BULLDOGS 34-29

”In a wild back and forth affair the Mustangs conquered the Milan Bulldogs in front of approxiamately 4,000 fans!”

17 minutes ago, Guidance1812 said:

Someone said yesterday that the safety will stop our receiver, except there are 7 of them that can catch the ball on any given play depending who is in and what we run.

we do have more depth than any falcon team I can remember past two decades, so whoever said we would be sucking wind by 4 th quarter was being hopeful, not gonna happen

man to man coverage is your only hope

No wonder you boys have been beating the crap out of people if they let you have 7 eligible receivers on every play. Dang I didn’t even notice that Friday night. And I didn’t say our safeties would stop your receivers I said that one of your receivers would end up de-cleated if y’all tried to make much of a living across the middle. That’s a fair warning. Matheny is scary good, IMO the most dangerous player on your team by far.  In general we have never been fundamentally sound against the pass. We use the wrong leverages and don’t put hands on the receivers to disrupt their timing. We will try to stop the run first and keep the ball in front of us on defense when it’s in the air.  Our corners have been prone to getting sucked in on play action, halfback passes, etc. we got to do a better job on that. Those kids love to hit though and have got some speed.

7 minutes ago, Mustang1969 said:

No wonder you boys have been beating the crap out of people if they let you have 7 eligible receivers on every play. Dang I didn’t even notice that Friday night. And I didn’t say our safeties would stop your receivers I said that one of your receivers would end up de-cleated if y’all tried to make much of a living across the middle. That’s a fair warning. Matheny is scary good, IMO the most dangerous player on your team by far.  In general we have never been fundamentally sound against the pass. We use the wrong leverages and don’t put hands on the receivers to disrupt their timing. We will try to stop the run first and keep the ball in front of us on defense when it’s in the air.  Our corners have been prone to getting sucked in on play action, halfback passes, etc. we got to do a better job on that. Those kids love to hit though and have got some speed.

Learn to read he never said they had "7 eligible" on any play much less every play.  

Edited by Beagle

24 minutes ago, Goldenpride said:

What about that 07 matchup between Milan in Peabody in the third round with Kendall Harper. It was packed that night as well

There were a lot at that game but honestly it was not yet the rivalry Milan vs Huntingdung was at that time. Also, it was widely known that whoever won the semi game in ‘03 was going to be the state champion. Both teams were that stout. The Stanks went on to mercy rule their opponent in the championship. It would say 6-7k was a good estimate for that one. Milan vs Peabody in ‘07 was probably 5-6k. The stands for the Milan vs Huntingdung game were full by 5:30PM and they were 2-3 deep on the fence the whole game. Absolutely nuts. 

12 hours ago, cherokee23 said:

I mean on film he does the same thing. I’m just stating what I see from his highlights and Huntland game. On the deep ball, he slings it. Short passes, he aims it. So you’re saying if LC stops your run, you’ll be able to pass and still win? Just a question. I have no dog in the fight. Just discussing and stating what I’ve seen. 

On that pass in the Huntland game it did appear that way but that was one game. Ask the folks who saw him throw a 40 yard bomb against Milan to Baker to win that game and you will see that he can do more than sling it when the pressure is on.

53 minutes ago, Goldenpride said:

What about that 07 matchup between Milan in Peabody in the third round with Kendall Harper. It was packed that night as well

I was there In 07 and I think there was more people at the Peabody at Milan game last year than the third round game. 

in 07 I didn’t have any trouble watching the game. Last year I couldn’t even see half the game there was so many people. 

1 hour ago, Croppygenius said:

Region 5 will out hit region 8 bigtime. I dont know if we win or not but we are definitely used to getting hit. Region 8 plays standing straight 

I bet Bruceton  Perry Co.,and Middleton hits so hard  its scares our region to death.A bunch of Dick Butkus on those teams.Dud I just read something earlier about a clown?