Greenback 2020

Gbnation

7 hours ago, glenfromgreenback said:

Not sure on the total number of players this year (i'm sure its around 40 give or take a few) but i do know that 18-19 of them are freshman and these kids are ballers. And then a nice size group of 7th & 8th graders following behind them... The next few yrs should be fun watching these boys grow and become football players.

I hope they have at least one down year so we can make a run again. They have owned the East in 1A for 5 years. lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pirate2003 said:

I hope they have at least one down year so we can make a run again. They have owned the East in 1A for 5 years. lol

Lol I hear ya. I do believe this maybe our down year, i hope not but we are definitely young. I've been following SP on twitter and the workouts, player updates, etc. you boys got some dang studs... imo you are the #1 in the east and i also hope we continue to meet and play that Friday after Thanksgiving. 

On 7/13/2020 at 10:13 AM, glenfromgreenback said:

Not sure on the total number of players this year (i'm sure its around 40 give or take a few) but i do know that 18-19 of them are freshman and these kids are ballers. And then a nice size group of 7th & 8th graders following behind them... The next few yrs should be fun watching these boys grow and become football players.

The upcoming  freshman class on paper is better then the Greenback team that won a state championship several years back that had Bryce Handly. They have won 3 super bowls, a Blount County Championship, that had Alcoa and Maryville in it, and also a national championship  through the battle of Rocky top  tournament!!!!!  This class will make a statement guaranteed if they play too their potential.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, REBELRON said:

Greenback lost one of their former players  and big  supporter.  He was my former boss. His son will be a freshman this year. 

Yes we did,I just got the call an hour ago.Shawn Muncey was a guard on our 87 Championship team.I am sure his family can use the prayers right now.Shawn was a great teammate and one of the funniest human beings I was ever around.He will be missed!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Pra

4 hours ago, orngnblk said:

Yes we did,I just got the call an hour ago.Shawn Muncey was a guard on our 87 Championship team.I am sure his family can use the prayers right now.Shawn was a great teammate and one of the funniest human beings I was ever around.He will be missed!

Prayers for this family. 

13 hours ago, orngnblk said:

Always sad to lose anyone but when we can relate to them through such a loved sport like football, well, it hits even harder

On 7/27/2020 at 4:45 AM, orngnblk said:

A few years ago I remember Rivalry Thursday and Mark Packer was broadcasting the Greenback vs Coalfield game at Greenback.  Mark Packer interviewed Shawn Muncey about the tradition of watching game in back of pickup truck. It was also Breast Cancer Awareness day.  Shawn Muncey had his hair and beard dyed pink. Me and my coworkers had a good laugh about that. 

1 hour ago, REBELRON said:

A few years ago I remember Rivalry Thursday and Mark Packer was broadcasting the Greenback vs Coalfield game at Greenback.  Mark Packer interviewed Shawn Muncey about the tradition of watching game in back of pickup truck. It was also Breast Cancer Awareness day.  Shawn Muncey had his hair and beard dyed pink. Me and my coworkers had a good laugh about that. 

It was his truck they broadcasted in if I'm not mistaken,and yes ole Shawn was all pink.Back when we played together he and Snail (his partner in crime lol) would play jokes on anyone they could.We all were like brothers even us younger guys.Going to miss him for sure!!

• Like 1

We lost another great man, Saturday morning... Teacher/AD/Admin/COACH Jerry Masingo lost his battle with cancer. He'd been at Greenback 52 years b4 he retired... Rest Easy Coach! 

Friday nights at Cooper Field wont be the same without Shawn and Jerry! 

But the 1st day of full pads is finally here, think i'll go over and watch the boys practice in a little bit.

32 minutes ago, glenfromgreenback said:

We lost another great man, Saturday morning... Teacher/AD/Admin/COACH Jerry Masingo lost his battle with cancer. He'd been at Greenback 52 years b4 he retired... Rest Easy Coach! 

Friday nights at Cooper Field wont be the same without Shawn and Jerry! 

But the 1st day of full pads is finally here, think i'll go over and watch the boys practice in a little bit.

He was one of our coaches in 87 also.I heard about it Sat morn.Coach Masingo was top notch and a HECK of a teacher!I believe the the new field house is named after him also.RIP Coach!