Class A - State Championship Teams

MrMiyagi

12 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Greenfield froze the ball with a 12 point lead starting the forth quarter. Greenfield froze the ball because they didn’t like that Gibson County wasn’t going away easy. Let’s tell it like it is. Typical Greenfield response. Oh we could have won by 30 but we froze the ball and give you a break.

What was the score in season with Neal playing?   If I remember correctly it was a running clock??  Also I was told that GC sat back and was content to let the clock tick in the 4th quarter.  Sounded to me like gc haD waved the white flag in the fourth quarter   Not saying it would have been 30 points but gc is the one that allowed them to hold ball

2 minutes ago, Youknowitstru88 said:

What was the score in season with Neal playing?   If I remember correctly it was a running clock??  Also I was told that GC sat back and was content to let the clock tick in the 4th quarter.  Sounded to me like gc haD waved the white flag in the fourth quarter   Not saying it would have been 30 points but gc is the one that allowed them to hold ball

Was no running clock when Neal played. Greenfield was in serious foul trouble the last game and took the safe route. GC let the clock go the last two minutes. My take is you froze the ball with a 12 point lead and then you act like you was doing GC a favor instead of doing yourself a favor. Other than the Greenfield game GC has averaged 60 points a game since the tournaments started so we are going to play hard and see what happens. 

6 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Greenfield froze the ball with a 12 point lead starting the forth quarter. Greenfield froze the ball because they didn’t like that Gibson County wasn’t going away easy. Let’s tell it like it is. Typical Greenfield response. Oh we could have won by 30 but we froze the ball and give you a break.

I was at that game wearing red and blue. Not necessarily an avid fan of either team, but was pulling for GC.

For starters, the lead at the beginning of the 4th was 17 (52-35). Greenfield held the ball on the final possession of the third quarter, before they scored, so you could say the lead wasn't quite that high when they started holding the ball. Gibson Co. was gassed and couldn't score late in the 3rd quarter. The got the lead cut to 6 at one point early in the 3rd, before Greenfield answered and went on a run. I said this after the game if you want to go back and look at the post: GC played them even from the point they got over the nerves of the first two or three minutes (where they were just throwing the ball away for no reason) until midway through the 3rd quarter. After that, you could tell they were spent and Greenfield was able to extend the lead. 

I'm not saying that Greenfield took the air out of the ball to give GC a break, I'm saying they did it because they didn't need to risk an injury or a freak comeback by continuing to push the pace and run up the score. If GC felt like they were still in the game at that point, they would have come out of their zone or at least extended it to force Greenfield's hand and they didn't. Each possession down the stretch in the 4th quarter, they allowed Greenfield to sit on the ball for 20-30 seconds before beginning to initiate any semblance of pressure, at which point Chloe drove to the basket. 

GC fans weren't happy about Greenfield holding the ball (lots of booing and chants from the student section), but it was honestly what was best for both teams, which is why you didn't see Wilkins do anything to force Greenfield's hand. I'm not saying Greenfield would have won by 30 if they had kept playing, but the momentum at the end of the 3rd was heading in a direction that felt like a larger blowout. 

7 hours ago, Youknowitstru88 said:

Not sure if that game ended up a running clock, but they lost by 29 when they played early in the year. Granted, I'm not sure that is a fair representation of GC's best either, even though they had Neal for that game. It was early in the year and they had to try and figure out how to play after losing that Senior group from the year before. 

As I said in my other post, Gibson Co. gave them a half of even basketball in the region tournament. Their best players were able to go blow for blow for a while. However, I don't think they have the depth or versatility to hang with them for four quarters. Not trying to down GC, I just think Greenfield has more to work with this season. Greenfield is working with the type of combined talent a school that size gets once in a generation if they're lucky. 

23 minutes ago, SportsWestTN said:

Not sure if that game ended up a running clock, but they lost by 29 when they played early in the year. Granted, I'm not sure that is a fair representation of GC's best either, even though they had Neal for that game. It was early in the year and they had to try and figure out how to play after losing that Senior group from the year before. 

As I said in my other post, Gibson Co. gave them a half of even basketball in the region tournament. Their best players were able to go blow for blow for a while. However, I don't think they have the depth or versatility to hang with them for four quarters. Not trying to down GC, I just think Greenfield has more to work with this season. Greenfield is working with the type of combined talent a school that size gets once in a generation if they're lucky. 

It really doesn’t matter at this point because now is what we all play for and ours is with Pickett County. It matters to message boards and predictions to give us an idea of what may or may not happen.. Greenfield is favored and should be. But there are seven other teams that are as hungry as they are and wants to fulfill their dreams as well. Gibson County has emergency depth if needed. Neal’s replacement hardly played in the regular season before her injury and has done well. Our backup PG hasn’t played a lot but played all summer when Sweat broke her hand and is ready. It is a tough three day event and it sets up better for teams that don’t have to go the distance all three days and get some players some much needed rest I know. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. I do pray for health for all the players and fans that each team will be at full strength. Good luck to all!!