Fixing the Playoffs

Beansntators

On 10/14/2020 at 3:01 PM, Beansntators said:

If you could fix the playoffs, what you do do differently? How would you set each bracket up? Top 3 teams with a bye for first seed in each region?

I’m curious to know everybody’s view on this topic

Everyone (public, private, magnet, city, county, etc...) go back into the pool together with five divisions:

Class A:  Small public schools and absolutely no private schools, no magnet schools or open zoned schools

Class AA: Public schools and private schools that DO NOT offer any type of financial aid and this includes work study

Class AAA: Public schools and private schools that DO NOT offer any type of financial aid including work study

Class AAAA: Public schools and small private schools that offer financial aid

Class AAAAA:  Public schools and large private schools that offer financial aid

Have 16 districts and only the top 2 teams in each district would qualify for the playoffs.  Absolutely no bye weeks.  The state championship games would be the first Saturday in December. Teams that do not qualify for the playoffs but win a minimum of 60% of their total games would be eligible to participate in a bowl game.  All bowl games would be on the 2nd Saturday or Sunday after the regular season in completed.  

Edited by cbg

On 12/6/2020 at 10:59 PM, tradertwo said:

Most people are misinformed about "open enrollment" schools... ALL schools are open enrollment unless their own School Board passes a resolution to restrict, and even then 95% of those are in some form "open". The term "closed zone" implies that under no circumstances any student residing outside a predetermined boundary (set by the Board) be eligible to enroll. 

robertson county does not allow it

On 10/15/2021 at 11:17 AM, cbg said:

Everyone (public, private, magnet, city, county, etc...) go back into the pool together with five divisions:

Class A:  Small public schools and absolutely no private schools, no magnet schools or open zoned schools

Class AA: Public schools and private schools that DO NOT offer any type of financial aid and this includes work study

Class AAA: Public schools and private schools that DO NOT offer any type of financial aid including work study

Class AAAA: Public schools and small private schools that offer financial aid

Class AAAAA:  Public schools and large private schools that offer financial aid

Have 16 districts and only the top 2 teams in each district would qualify for the playoffs.  Absolutely no bye weeks.  The state championship games would be the first Saturday in December. Teams that do not qualify for the playoffs but win a minimum of 60% of their total games would be eligible to participate in a bowl game.  All bowl games would be on the 2nd Saturday or Sunday after the regular season in completed.  

I like this.  I would like to see a return to bowl games.  

8 hours ago, bigdawgtn said:

robertson county does not allow it

Just for kicks (I did say 95%) I checked their policy...they have a form to request attendance to a school other than the one located within the zone in which they reside. They do seem to have a very restrictive policy, but technically not absolutely "closed". I didn't pursue whether they accept out of county students or not, and lots of people use that one factor to determine open vs. closed, but by definition, closed means no exceptions.

15 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Just for kicks (I did say 95%) I checked their policy...they have a form to request attendance to a school other than the one located within the zone in which they reside. They do seem to have a very restrictive policy, but technically not absolutely "closed". I didn't pursue whether they accept out of county students or not, and lots of people use that one factor to determine open vs. closed, but by definition, closed means no exceptions.

you are correct but i can tell you they deny everything and are extremely strict about it.  With the new zoning Springfield currently has athletes playing at Heritage...Jo byrns..east robertson and greenbrier. Its a shame a kid lives in the middle of a city and has to be bussed to the other side of the county. across the street they go to another school

5 public, 2 private. 8 regions per class. Top 4 in each region make the playoffs. It was clean and simple, and it worked.

Publics and privates will never get back together. The recruiting/financial aid advantage will not allow for it, but I do think both situations can and should be optimized for competition and convenience. 

On 10/22/2021 at 1:14 PM, MSURacer said:

5 public, 2 private. 8 regions per class. Top 4 in each region make the playoffs. It was clean and simple, and it worked.

Publics and privates will never get back together. The recruiting/financial aid advantage will not allow for it, but I do think both situations can and should be optimized for competition and convenience. 

Based on the population in Tennessee 7 divisions is too many.  We probably need only 4 or 5.

On 10/22/2021 at 3:14 PM, MSURacer said:

Top four making it in each public school region is absolutely ignorant. The only good thing about it is that it is easy for the simpletons to figure out who they're playing in the first round of the playoffs. You leave open the possibility of one win or even zero win teams making the playoffs if it is a small region and all qualify. Ideal situation is region champions getting automatic bid, the rest of the playoff spots are filled via a ranking system. And then divide them into quadrants. For those of you that don't understand, that's the z plan and you had much better playoff fields when that system was in place. If you have to wait until noon on the day after the regular season ends to find out your playoff opponent, that's not a big deal.  As far as the privately go, The best scenario is to leave them alone or at least rotate the seading situation from year to year

Edited by ReitzFan
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

Top four making it in each public school region is absolutely ignorant. The only good thing about it is that it is easy for the simpletons to figure out who they're playing in the first round of the playoffs. You leave open the possibility of one win or even zero win teams making the playoffs if it is a small region and all qualify. Ideal situation is region champions getting automatic bid, the rest of the playoff spots are filled via a ranking system. And then divide them into quadrants. For those of you that don't understand, that's the z plan and you had much better playoff fields when that system was in place. If you have to wait until noon on the day after the regular season ends to find out your playoff opponent, that's not a big deal.  As far as the privately go, The best scenario is to leave them alone or at least rotate the seading situation from year to year

Nope. Simple is good. Leave it as is. And your point about "better playoff fields" is laughable. It was watered down under the z-plan and it is watered down now. 

Edited by MSURacer