Humboldt coach

4 hours ago, blitzinbuc said:

What are "fringe" kids?  I assume they're kids who can go to any high school in the county - assuming they start attending there as freshmen?

Kids who live on the border of school zones. Usually they can justify going to either school. Once upon a time these kids pick to go to Humboldt. Now they go to SG, Trenton, Milan, or GC. 

Humboldt is too small of a school to not share athletes.  I see potential football players during basketball season.  But it will take a good football minded superintendant to build this program.  They have the talent but I don't think they will ever be the Humboldt that they used to be.  It will take a community effort and patient fans.  It will take $$$$$$$$.  And lots of it.  Look at Peabody.  We hired within once and he did some good things but it took an outsider like Coach Gaddis and Coach Ricky Woods to get things started.  Tim Haney did a good job but had a limited staff.  He did get us a silver ball. One of the best hires to date was Coach Shane Jacobs.  He was hired within but had good coaches over him.  He has matured into his own.  He is a great delegator. He is a good communicator and passionate about his job.  He loves his kids and they love him.  If Humboldt can get a coach like that, they will be on there way to better days.  Its not just the head coach, it's the staff.  Look at Milan.  Teddy got it started.  I believe given an opportunity he would have had the same success Milan is enjoying right now.  Diffee has done a great job, I won't take that from him, but Milan was an easy fix.  Athletes and tradition. Community support and a fantastic stadium.  Good luck Vikings!

12 hours ago, Golddoctor said:

Humboldt is too small of a school to not share athletes.  I see potential football players during basketball season.  But it will take a good football minded superintendant to build this program.  They have the talent but I don't think they will ever be the Humboldt that they used to be.  It will take a community effort and patient fans.  It will take $$$$$$$$.  And lots of it.  Look at Peabody.  We hired within once and he did some good things but it took an outsider like Coach Gaddis and Coach Ricky Woods to get things started.  Tim Haney did a good job but had a limited staff.  He did get us a silver ball. One of the best hires to date was Coach Shane Jacobs.  He was hired within but had good coaches over him.  He has matured into his own.  He is a great delegator. He is a good communicator and passionate about his job.  He loves his kids and they love him.  If Humboldt can get a coach like that, they will be on there way to better days.  Its not just the head coach, it's the staff.  Look at Milan.  Teddy got it started.  I believe given an opportunity he would have had the same success Milan is enjoying right now.  Diffee has done a great job, I won't take that from him, but Milan was an easy fix.  Athletes and tradition. Community support and a fantastic stadium.  Good luck Vikings!

The ship was sinking with Teddy. The climate and culture of the program had been well established under Morris. There were clear expectations. Under Teddy the climate changed and things got toxic.  The coaching change was made at the right time. Had we continued and not made the change we would be no where close to where we are today. Kids are buying into what Diffee is selling. He is a motivator and the kids want to play for him. Everyone has the same vision and team culture couldn’t be better. 

27 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

The ship was sinking with Teddy. The climate and culture of the program had been well established under Morris. There were clear expectations. Under Teddy the climate changed and things got toxic.  The coaching change was made at the right time. Had we continued and not made the change we would be no where close to where we are today. Kids are buying into what Diffee is selling. He is a motivator and the kids want to play for him. Everyone has the same vision and team culture couldn’t be better. 

I think Diffee is exactly what Milan needed. While I do think Teddy was a good coach, I think you are right when things start turning and getting toxic it was time for a change for both parties involved. As for Humboldt, I am thinking it will have to be someone young with high energy and a system to get the most our of their strengths over there. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they went with an outside hire for that program to try to get more energy and love for the game of football. While Ballard seemed to do well this year they only beat teams they should be beating every year anyways, Scotts Hill, Gleason, a Covid win over Memphis East. I don't know who has applied or even if they have been doing interviews but the length of this process already tells me that not too many have applied for this job.

This is just my opinion, I hope Humboldt can get someone that's a good fit and get that program back in the right direction. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I'm glad you said that so I didn't have to. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WarEagleCartman said:

I'm glad you said that so I didn't have to. 

And me as well, Diffee is the right man for Milan. I’m looking forward to the future Peabody abs Milan games because it will be two coaching staffs that are good on both sides against two teams that buy into the mentality of what the brand of football that is played there. In 2019 Milan had the athletes to make a little noise and 6-6 was underachieving in my opinion