Top 10 Stadiums in 5A/6A

tubthumper

This has been done to death but hasn't been done in quite awhile. I'm a fan of football history and architecture. Here are the factors: capacity, design, history, environment. Public Schools Only. Who's on your list.

10. Franklin County High School

9. Patriot Stadium- Henry County

8. Shackle Island-Beech

7. Calvin Short- Gallatin

6. Shields Stadium- Maryville

5. Lindsey Nelson- Columbia Central

4. Blankenship Field- Oak Ridge

3. Bill Clabo- Farragut

2. J. Fred Johnson Stadium- Dobyns Bennett

1. The Pit- Lincoln County

2 minutes ago, tubthumper said:

This has been done to death but hasn't been done in quite awhile. I'm a fan of football history and architecture. Here are the factors: capacity, design, history, environment. Public Schools Only. Who's on your list.

10. Franklin County High School

9. Patriot Stadium- Henry County

8. Shackle Island-Beech

7. Calvin Short- Gallatin

6. Shields Stadium- Maryville

5. Lindsey Nelson- Columbia Central

4. Blankenship Field- Oak Ridge

3. Bill Clabo- Farragut

2. J. Fred Johnson Stadium- Dobyns Bennett

1. The Pit- Lincoln County

Not a bad list, but your missing multiple nice venues across the state. Farragut is NOT in the Top 10. No particular order. East Tennessee has some really nice Stadiums. Even talking about 1A programs that have great Friday Night environments 

Onieda 2A

South Pitt 1A

Harriman 1A 

Alcoa 3A

Elizabethton 4A 

Science Hill 6A

Tennessee High 5A

Gatlinburg Pittman 3A 

Greeneville 4A

Rhea County 5A

Sevier County 5A

Bradley Central 6A 

Red Bank 3A 

These are just a few to think about. Keeping it on Eastern Time Zone. I am sure I missed several. There are tons of great Venues. Tough to make a Top 10. 

1 minute ago, TnPreacherMan said:

Not a bad list, but your missing multiple nice venues across the state. Farragut is NOT in the Top 10. No particular order. East Tennessee has some really nice Stadiums. Even talking about 1A programs that have great Friday Night environments 

Onieda 2A

South Pitt 1A

Harriman 1A 

Alcoa 3A

Elizabethton 4A 

Science Hill 6A

Tennessee High 5A

Gatlinburg Pittman 3A 

Greeneville 4A

Rhea County 5A

Sevier County 5A

Bradley Central 6A 

Red Bank 3A 

These are just a few to think about. Keeping it on Eastern Time Zone. I am sure I missed several. There are tons of great Venues. Tough to make a Top 10. 

This list is just 5A/6A. I plan on doing one for 3A/4A and another for 2A/1A

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HTV said:

Depends on what criteria one is using.  

And I have no tie to them what so ever, but any list that doesn't have J. Fred Johnson at the top is completely bogus.  It is the 5th best stadium in the state, only behind Neyland, Nissan, Floyd, and The Liberty Bowl.  

I struggled mightily with putting The Pit over J. Fred Johnson. It's definitely the most impressive, but the Pit has that old school vibe and lots of history.

Little biased, but Eagle Stadium in Evensville is one of the best stadiums in the area and when it gets rockin, it gets ROCKIN. It is the largest I've seen in Tennessee.

I would say that Blankenship and Clabo tie for my favorite I've ever travelled to. 

Clinton has a unique setup, and I really enjoyed going to Cleveland and Franklin County.

My top ten would be

1. Rhea County

2. Oak Ridge (Blankenship)

3. Farragut (Clabo)

4. Cleveland (Benny Monroe)

5. Clinton

6. Franklin County

7. Bradley Central

8. Oakland

9. Powell

10. Walker Valley (Stadium is meh, but the band makes up for it)

I know I have a *mostly* East TN bias, but to my credit I have not been able to travel out of the East much. I've never been to DB, so I can't accurately judge it. From what I've heard, it would probably rival Blankenship and Clabo, but I'd have to go to a game there to decide.

This years Region 2 6A had a lot of nice stadiums. Bradley is pretty cool except you have to pay to park. Cleveland let’s the visitors have the shade while they look at the sun. County has a nice big venue. Ooltewah is like a 2A stadium that grew up. Lots of character. Heritage has a great view and not a bad seat in the House. WB is almost identical without the slope/steps under the stadium and better parking. Maryville is over 100 years old. 

For obvious reasons, I love Blankenship Field, at Jack Armstrong Stadium.  Last year we traveled to Mount Juliet, and I like their stadium a lot.  DB's stadium is very big, but it feels less like a high school stadium to me.  Yes, I know it's not a high school, but I like Harris Stadium at The University Of The South, because it has the feel of football games I remember growing up.  There are a lot which have a nostalgic look and feel... those are the ones I enjoy the most.

RWR!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gulloern74 said:

Little biased, but Eagle Stadium in Evensville is one of the best stadiums in the area and when it gets rockin, it gets ROCKIN. It is the largest I've seen in Tennessee.

I would say that Blankenship and Clabo tie for my favorite I've ever travelled to. 

Clinton has a unique setup, and I really enjoyed going to Cleveland and Franklin County.

My top ten would be

1. Rhea County

2. Oak Ridge (Blankenship)

3. Farragut (Clabo)

4. Cleveland (Benny Monroe)

5. Clinton

6. Franklin County

7. Bradley Central

8. Oakland

9. Powell

10. Walker Valley (Stadium is meh, but the band makes up for it)

I know I have a *mostly* East TN bias, but to my credit I have not been able to travel out of the East much. I've never been to DB, so I can't accurately judge it. From what I've heard, it would probably rival Blankenship and Clabo, but I'd have to go to a game there to decide.

Having Coached in Blankenship and in Clabo and playing in DB's Stadium (Even before they added the upper deck) DB's Stadium is nicer and more like a College Stadium than a Blankenship and Clabo.  You have 100 + band members playing the War Chant and loud as can be.  

https://www.timesnews.net/vasity-football-bearden-at-dobyns-bennett/image_4067a21a-1189-11eb-8298-cb374c086263.html

One that I haven't seen mentioned except once is The Stone Castle for TN High.  One of the coolest places I played at because it's literally playing inside of a Castle.

http://www2.btcs.org/ths/football/Castle.htm

8 hours ago, CardinalGrey said:

DB's stadium is very big, but it feels less like a high school stadium to me.  

RWR!

This. Don’t get me wrong, it’s definitely impressive, but I definitely didn’t get that same vibe I get when I go to Blankenship (biased, I know) or any other High School football facility that I like, such as Clinton, Maryville, and a few select others. I felt like I was @ an MTSU game almost. Like I said, impressive as far as the naked eye, but it wouldn’t even be in my top 5, nor 10 at that. Rhea County after going there this year has made an appearance in the top 5 for me as well. The Rhea Co folks are a hospitable bunch, on here and in person.

Edited by SweetScience
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, TnPreacherMan said:

Onieda 2A

South Pitt 1A

Harriman 1A 

Alcoa 3A

Elizabethton 4A 

Science Hill 6A

Tennessee High 5A

Gatlinburg Pittman 3A 

Greeneville 4A

Rhea County 5A

Sevier County 5A

Bradley Central 6A 

Red Bank 3A 

Great List except Red Bank is nothing really special at all.