Region 7-4A 2021 Outlook

BIGPURPLEMACHINE

9 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

Write that check! That is support that is very much needed. 

I will write a check, but I'm no man of millions, so I won't be able to cover the total cost of the project.

8 hours ago, reddyrebel6 said:

There is a push on to get turf for Haywood. They got new uniforms last year, but updated facilities are much needed. Write that check!

Once again, I have to get information from a forum on Coach T!  SMH...Has this push been made public yet?  I've talked to other people, and they haven't heard anything about it.

I know it is a pipe dream and it would cost a lot more money, but in my opinion, a new stadium with a regulation track should be built in another location.  The current stadium is locked in, parking is inadequate, raised areas in the endzone...an engineering nightmare.  Before anyone criticizes me about this, I did say it was a pipe dream, and I know a lot of money has already been invested to make improvements to the current stadium.

No matter what, i hope it will come true.  I'd like to see the Tomcats get a turf field.

9 hours ago, stacmot said:

I will write a check, but I'm no man of millions, so I won't be able to cover the total cost of the project.

Once again, I have to get information from a forum on Coach T!  SMH...Has this push been made public yet?  I've talked to other people, and they haven't heard anything about it.

I know it is a pipe dream and it would cost a lot more money, but in my opinion, a new stadium with a regulation track should be built in another location.  The current stadium is locked in, parking is inadequate, raised areas in the endzone...an engineering nightmare.  Before anyone criticizes me about this, I did say it was a pipe dream, and I know a lot of money has already been invested to make improvements to the current stadium.

No matter what, i hope it will come true.  I'd like to see the Tomcats get a turf field.

Go to the school board meeting tonight.

16 hours ago, stacmot said:

They put in a non-regulation track back in the 1960s, and because of space limitations it encroached on the end zones of the football field.  They tried to fix it a few years ago by taking out parts of the track.  It is better, but not what it should be. 

The first time I saw it I laughed, I thought it was some kind of a major engineering flaw or something. After it was explained to me, I understood. If, my memory serves me correct, there is some kind of bylaw or special exception to minimum playing surface rules that exempts Haywood from being required to fix it. 

4 hours ago, 802Tomcat said:

I did notice that coach Smith,school superintendent and two others guys were at the stadium. They had clipboards and were there for a long time. 

Picture, or didn't happen! 

JK. 

I am personally not a fan of turf. I completely understand why people like it, it just isn't for me. 

1 hour ago, ManOfMillions said:

Picture, or didn't happen! 

JK. 

I am personally not a fan of turf. I completely understand why people like it, it just isn't for me. 

I'm torn on turf. I know West Carroll will never have it unless a generous booster hits the Powerball. But August, September nothing beats a freshly manicured field. However late October November December a lot of fields grass becomes less grass-like and more like pointy little twigs poking out the ground, not to mention the mudholes. I don't have studies but I'd say turf is probably safer in that aspect. 

7 minutes ago, WarEagleCartman said:

I'm torn on turf. I know West Carroll will never have it unless a generous booster hits the Powerball. But August, September nothing beats a freshly manicured field. However late October November December a lot of fields grass becomes less grass-like and more like pointy little twigs poking out the ground, not to mention the mudholes. I don't have studies but I'd say turf is probably safer in that aspect. 

I don't have studies either, but I would think the opposite of you. 

The maintenance on the playing surface does not go away either. You still have to vacuum the turf to pull the beads up and make it fresh. Also, I think the beads that are inside the turf are old tires..... can you imagine the road rash you will get playing on that! 

18 hours ago, Tigersandcats said:

Agree. Why are they that way? I don’t think I’ve ever seen that anywhere else. Maybe there is?

In order to give you a more precise answer, I went back and looked in Dr. Robert Rooks' book, "100 Years of Tomcat Football."  According to Dr. Rooks, "an all-weather track was built around the football field in 1965.  This was the first such track of any sort in West Tennessee outside of Memphis, and the first track of any sort in Haywood County.  The estimated cost of this oval was $15,000.  Most tracks are a quarter of mile long, but this track was a fifth-mile in length because there was not enough room for a larger one.  As it is now, the north end of the the track is on the right-of-way of the railroad.  Before the track was built, the football field was moved several feet to the west.  This move allowed enough room to run the track to run in front of the east side stadium."

I apologize for the poor quality of the photo.  If you notice the four outside corners of the end zones, the field comes up on the track.  Those areas are raised to promote drainage.  This photo was taken around 2012.  Since that time, portions of the north and south ends of the track have been removed, but there are still some raised areas in the end zones.  

image.jpeg.36f99841570a17a31b99d8a6d76dfe5e.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stacmot said:

In order to give you a more precise answer, I went back and looked in Dr. Robert Rooks' book, "100 Years of Tomcat Football."  According to Dr. Rooks, "an all-weather track was built around the football field in 1965.  This was the first such track of any sort in West Tennessee outside of Memphis, and the first track of any sort in Haywood County.  The estimated cost of this oval was $15,000.  Most tracks are a quarter of mile long, but this track was a fifth-mile in length because there was not enough room for a larger one.  As it is now, the north end of the the track is on the right-of-way of the railroad.  Before the track was built, the football field was moved several feet to the west.  This move allowed enough room to run the track to run in front of the east side stadium."

I apologize for the poor quality of the photo.  If you notice the four outside corners of the end zones, the field comes up on the track.  Those areas are raised to promote drainage.  This photo was taken around 2012.  Since that time, portions of the north and south ends of the track have been removed, but there are still some raised areas in the end zones.  

image.jpeg.36f99841570a17a31b99d8a6d76dfe5e.jpeg

I understand now.