Region 7-4A 2021 Outlook

BIGPURPLEMACHINE

On 4/2/2021 at 5:56 AM, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Milan has done a a lift-a-thon in the past.  They always have an annual chicken half sale and strawberries. I’m pretty sure they do discount cards too. 

Everybody does discounts cards in West Tennessee. Honestly, those discount cards are useless because people seem to forget about them after the first week they purchase them.

4 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Everybody does discounts cards in West Tennessee. Honestly, those discount cards are useless because people seem to forget about them after the first week they purchase them.

There is a card that the school I work at does that I really like. It is the Sonic Community Card. The card is $10 and it has ten coupons on the card that are all buy 1 get 1 free. It includes cheeseburger, double cheeseburger, coney, chicken sandwich and more. That is one I really use. 

5 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

There is a card that the school I work at does that I really like. It is the Sonic Community Card. The card is $10 and it has ten coupons on the card that are all buy 1 get 1 free. It includes cheeseburger, double cheeseburger, coney, chicken sandwich and more. That is one I really use. 

Good point. Just noticed that North Side used those cards (along with other schools) for discounts. It’s good if the consumer keeps on using the card, but that rarely happens. That sonic one, is a good idea.

• Upvote 1

On 4/2/2021 at 5:56 AM, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Milan has done a a lift-a-thon in the past.  They always have an annual chicken half sale and strawberries. I’m pretty sure they do discount cards too. 

10 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

5 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Thanks for your response BPM and TryNotToSuck.  The band and other sports programs at Haywood have sold oranges, Boston butts, chicken, strawberries, etc...I'm not sure if there's anything like that left for the football program to sell.  Football has sponsored a golf scramble in years past, but the Country Club (like so many other things in Brownsville) has gone under, so that's no longer an option.

I was really impressed with the amount of money Covington's lift-a-thon brought in.  I was also impressed with Coach Kirby's statement that the lift-a-thon and some other things the Chargers do help to stimulate some off-season interest.  Something Covington likes to have. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be a priority for Haywood.

I tend to agree with TryNot.  Most of the discount cards aren't worth the money, but I buy them to help the kids.  However, I do like the idea of the Sonic Community Card.  I would think that would more than pay for itself in a short period of time, as well as raise some good money for the team.

Other than to continue to make donations, I'm in no position to do anything about it, so I'll let sleeping dogs (or should I say Cats) lie!

• Upvote 1

On 4/4/2021 at 11:37 AM, stacmot said:

Thanks for your response BPM and TryNotToSuck.  The band and other sports programs at Haywood have sold oranges, Boston butts, chicken, strawberries, etc...I'm not sure if there's anything like that left for the football program to sell.  Football has sponsored a golf scramble in years past, but the Country Club (like so many other things in Brownsville) has gone under, so that's no longer an option.

I was really impressed with the amount of money Covington's lift-a-thon brought in.  I was also impressed with Coach Kirby's statement that the lift-a-thon and some other things the Chargers do help to stimulate some off-season interest.  Something Covington likes to have. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be a priority for Haywood.

I tend to agree with TryNot.  Most of the discount cards aren't worth the money, but I buy them to help the kids.  However, I do like the idea of the Sonic Community Card.  I would think that would more than pay for itself in a short period of time, as well as raise some good money for the team.

Other than to continue to make donations, I'm in no position to do anything about it, so I'll let sleeping dogs (or should I say Cats) lie!

Community support means soo much to a football program. I can not think of a program that has a long track record of success that does not have great support from the local community. Fundraising sucks. No coach really likes having to do it because it is a pain in the neck, but it has to be done because football programs are very expensive to operate! 

I am not sure if my figures are still accurate, but I think the last time I saw it cost nearly one thousand bucks to outfit 1 player! Just the helmets are 300 - 450 bucks. Take the top teams in this new region, and all are going to dress between 60 and 100 kids. That is a ton of money just on gear for kids to wear. Add the expense of playing surface upkeep, travel, food, practice equipment, I could go on...  

We have a touchdown club. It is a booster club this is just for football. It is very successful and when my kid was there we would have about 20 parents at every meeting to do planning and business for the club. 

I would suggest maybe the Tomcats could offer season passes, reserved seating on the 50 yard line, a meet the players event to boost membership to be a tomcat booster.... Just my thoughts. 

@stacmot give me a call if you want to discuss more in detail. I could probably fix you up with some good stuff, IF the administration does not get in the way.  

Edited by ManOfMillions

On 4/5/2021 at 11:24 AM, ManOfMillions said:

Community support means soo much to a football program. I can not think of a program that has a long track record of success that does not have great support from the local community. Fundraising sucks. No coach really likes having to do it because it is a pain in the neck, but it has to be done because football programs are very expensive to operate! 

I am not sure if my figures are still accurate, but I think the last time I saw it cost nearly one thousand bucks to outfit 1 player! Just the helmets are 300 - 450 bucks. Take the top teams in this new region, and all are going to dress between 60 and 100 kids. That is a ton of money just on gear for kids to wear. Add the expense of playing surface upkeep, travel, food, practice equipment, I could go on...  

We have a touchdown club. It is a booster club this is just for football. It is very successful and when my kid was there we would have about 20 parents at every meeting to do planning and business for the club. 

I would suggest maybe the Tomcats could offer season passes, reserved seating on the 50 yard line, a meet the players event to boost membership to be a tomcat booster.... Just my thoughts. 

@stacmot give me a call if you want to discuss more in detail. I could probably fix you up with some good stuff, IF the administration does not get in the way.  

I agree that community support is important, and the community has stepped up to show their support when needed.  Donations for our 2020 game in Cookeville exceeded expectations.  I also agree that fundraising stinks.

It IS expensive to run a football program.  Adding to what you've already listed, the upkeep of equipment is important too.  For example, those 300-450 dollar helmets have to be reconditioned every two years and replaced every ten.  That's no small expense.

Covid  hit everybody in the pocketbook.  Cancelled games and restricted attendance didn't help gate receipts.  As a side note, how many people are aware of how much it costs to pay an officiating crew?  Each official makes $110.  The ECO makes $80.  That's over $600 a game.  With people afraid to attend games because of Covid, along with restricted attendance, officiating crews took a huge chunk out of gate receipts.

Haywood has a football booster club, they have sold season tickets, and they do have a "Meet the Tomcats" event at the beginning of the season.  I don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but I still believe more could be done to keep and/or stimulate interest during the off-season.  I would have to say what little off-season information I get comes from Coach T.

Thanks for offering to give me more information.  However,  I'll still go with my statement in a previous post...other than to continue to make donations, I'm in no position to do anything to help.  

13 hours ago, stacmot said:

I agree that community support is important, and the community has stepped up to show their support when needed.  Donations for our 2020 game in Cookeville exceeded expectations.  I also agree that fundraising stinks.

It IS expensive to run a football program.  Adding to what you've already listed, the upkeep of equipment is important too.  For example, those 300-450 dollar helmets have to be reconditioned every two years and replaced every ten.  That's no small expense.

Covid  hit everybody in the pocketbook.  Cancelled games and restricted attendance didn't help gate receipts.  As a side note, how many people are aware of how much it costs to pay an officiating crew?  Each official makes $110.  The ECO makes $80.  That's over $600 a game.  With people afraid to attend games because of Covid, along with restricted attendance, officiating crews took a huge chunk out of gate receipts.

Haywood has a football booster club, they have sold season tickets, and they do have a "Meet the Tomcats" event at the beginning of the season.  I don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but I still believe more could be done to keep and/or stimulate interest during the off-season.  I would have to say what little off-season information I get comes from Coach T.

Thanks for offering to give me more information.  However,  I'll still go with my statement in a previous post...other than to continue to make donations, I'm in no position to do anything to help.  

Write that check! That is support that is very much needed. 

1 hour ago, reddyrebel6 said:

There is a push on to get turf for Haywood. They got new uniforms last year, but updated facilities are much needed. Write that check!

I have a feeling that is going to be really hard to get passed.... Especially, considering the historical significance of the raised end zones.  I may be wrong, but I don't think so. 

26 minutes ago, Tigersandcats said:

Agree. Why are they that way? I don’t think I’ve ever seen that anywhere else. Maybe there is?

They put in a non-regulation track back in the 1960s, and because of space limitations it encroached on the end zones of the football field.  They tried to fix it a few years ago by taking out parts of the track.  It is better, but not what it should be. 

Edited by stacmot