Blackmon Job

FuzzyFootballs44

On 2/3/2021 at 10:14 PM, MidTennFootball said:

For a public school, no. McDaniel was able to make 2-3x when he got hired at CBHS so I have no doubt Creasy could do the same. 

Everyone loves to point out the fact that Oakland is loaded with talent, which is no doubt true. What people don't mention is they have one of the best coaching staffs in the state

McDaniel doesn’t have a chance winning the state at CB.  No knock on his ability to coach, just doesn’t have the horses like the other private powers.

His teams might have had discipline problems at the last school he coached, but that was in another state and circumstances might be completely different at Blackman, for all we know. That is if he even had any major discipline issues at all. Regardless, allow the guy to have time to grow and learn, and he might prove to get better in this area and have a really clean program at Blackman. I’m really intrigued by this guy. I think the key will be allowing him to have a fair amount of time to fully implement his style, culture, attitude, etc. It will be a big change from the previous head coach. As long he proves that they are making strides and slowly improving, Blackman has to allow him to have the time to grow and build the program back up. It won’t get fixed overnight. It paid off for Riverdale. Also, hopefully he gets the chance to completely look the staff over and choose exactly who he wants across the board. He needs to be able to have coaches he knows and can trust working with him and helping build the program back up. 

Lastly, Blackman needs to understand and accept the fact that Oakland is really far ahead of them right now and just focus on building up your own program. Don’t compare yourself to them or worry about that stuff. At least in the short term, you’re not going to beat them. That’s okay. 

3 hours ago, SurfingPatriot786 said:

His teams might have had discipline problems at the last school he coached, but that was in another state and circumstances might be completely different at Blackman, for all we know. That is if he even had any major discipline issues at all. Regardless, allow the guy to have time to grow and learn, and he might prove to get better in this area and have a really clean program at Blackman. I’m really intrigued by this guy. I think the key will be allowing him to have a fair amount of time to fully implement his style, culture, attitude, etc. It will be a big change from the previous head coach. As long he proves that they are making strides and slowly improving, Blackman has to allow him to have the time to grow and build the program back up. It won’t get fixed overnight. It paid off for Riverdale. Also, hopefully he gets the chance to completely look the staff over and choose exactly who he wants across the board. He needs to be able to have coaches he knows and can trust working with him and helping build the program back up. 

Lastly, Blackman needs to understand and accept the fact that Oakland is really far ahead of them right now and just focus on building up your own program. Don’t compare yourself to them or worry about that stuff. At least in the short term, you’re not going to beat them. That’s okay. 

To me, it seems like a subpar hire, to put it nicely. I don’t know what they pay in The Boro, but it just seems like they would have aimed higher. 

6 hours ago, TomLHS said:

McDaniel doesn’t have a chance winning the state at CB.  No knock on his ability to coach, just doesn’t have the horses like the other private powers.

Never said that he would. I agree that he is at a disadvantage going up against the traditional powers. That said, hard to turn down the kind of salary with the financial commitment they made to the program

2 hours ago, chs1984 said:

To me, it seems like a subpar hire, to put it nicely. I don’t know what they pay in The Boro, but it just seems like they would have aimed higher. 

Who's to say that they didn't? How many good HC's are wanting to sign up for getting their teeth kicked in by Oakland (and probably Riverdale) every year. That's just counting the region. Their first 7 games are Brentwood, Gallatin, Riverdale, Summit, Stewarts Creek, Antioch and Oakland. It'd be a borderline miracle just to go 3-4 over that stretch. A winning season in year 1 is a great year

10 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

Never said that he would. I agree that he is at a disadvantage going up against the traditional powers. That said, hard to turn down the kind of salary with the financial commitment they made to the program

Who's to say that they didn't? How many good HC's are wanting to sign up for getting their teeth kicked in by Oakland (and probably Riverdale) every year. That's just counting the region. Their first 7 games are Brentwood, Gallatin, Riverdale, Summit, Stewarts Creek, Antioch and Oakland. It'd be a borderline miracle just to go 3-4 over that stretch. A winning season in year 1 is a great year

Valid points.

18 hours ago, chs1984 said:

Valid points.

I agree they are very valid points.  My only issue is that they went from Shadowens to Watson to Hartsfield.  I get it that Shadowens had to go, and Watson did have head coaching experience, albeit losing experience.  However, why did they get rid of Watson?  He only lost games that he probably couldn’t have won.  Then they turn to an inexperienced coach who only had middle school experience as a head coach.  Now they have a guy who was a head coach for two years and has a losing record.  The bar has been set low for Blackman Football every since Gail Vick retired as principal. 

Edited by TomLHS
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jimmycrackedthatcorn said:

Is the school superintendent involved in coaching hires? That could be a reason? Maybe they favor one school over the others? 

In TC ours is very involved.  Clint Satterfield is the DOS. But we only have one high school. 

Just answered your own question. Small systems like Trousdale can do that but it'd be a quick way to get the slip in a big system like Rutherford where there are 8 high schools

3 hours ago, TomLHS said:

I agree they are very valid points.  My only issue is that they went from Shadowens to Watson to Hartsfield.  I get it that Shadowens had to go, and Watson did have head coaching experience, albeit losing experience.  However, why did they get rid of Watson?  He only lost games that he probably couldn’t have won.  Then they turn to an inexperienced coach who only had middle school experience as a head coach.  Now they have a guy who was a head coach for two years and has a losing record.  The bar has been set low for Blackman Football every since Gail Vick retired as principal. 

Gail Vick is as good as your going to get for a principal so expecting Justus to meet that standard might be unrealistic. By the time Watson was forced out, your dealing with a Oakland program that was rolling. Coaches can be a fickle bunch, they don't want to deal with that if they don't have to.

Blackman's bigger problem is their demographics. It's a great place to live, but maybe too good because most of their kids don't have to worry about affording college. For a good number of kids at Oakland, a scholarship is the only way college is a reality, so they play with a little more of an edge than Blackman does

While were on the subject of The ‘Boro, why did Rockvale go to 1A, and hire a guy who had been at the same school for 20 years, to start a 6A program? Two different worlds, especially in that region. I understand that the gentleman won a state title, but I couldn’t find any other season where his team was a major factor in the playoffs. Not knocking the coach, and granted, anyone would’ve struggled the first couple of years, given the same circumstances. It just seemed like another curious decision.