Blackmon Job

FuzzyFootballs44

On 2/4/2021 at 9:11 AM, BooWhoWiseMan said:

Would you have said the same things about McDaniels when he left for CBHS?  I am sure a lot of you would have said he is one of the best coaches in the state.   But how has he done at CBHS

On 2/4/2021 at 11:24 AM, TomLHS said:

Comparing McDaniel to Creasy is like comparing Phylilis Diller to Raquel Welch.  There is a whole lot of difference there my friend.

There can be no debate, Thomas McDaniel is a darn good Head Coach. In 7 years, he completely changed the landscape of HS Football in RuCo/Middle Tennessee. Went 14-1 and won a state title in his first year when Oakland had only that many games the 5 seasons previous. Also did it with basically no passing game or misdirection, something that will never be done on a 5A/6A level again. 

That said, Oakland did have flaws, namely on offense. Oakland had no shortage of talent of talent, but consistency was hard to find. Because Oakland was so physical, they had a way of making you feel like losing by 14 felt more like losing by 40.

IMO, I do think Kevin Creasy is a significantly better HC, but it's not a huge gap. Creasy inherited a program that  had already had back to back 12 win seasons. Creasy has also gotten the kind of elite talent to transfer in than McDaniel never really got; In Mcdaniel's tenure it was struggle to keep kids from transferring to the private schools, under Creasy it's the reverse.

Both coaches have/did do a great job of hiring staff, several of the McDaniel staff have gone one to being successful HC's or coordinators, it's only a matter time of time. Creasy does have a slight edge because in my biased opinion, Stephen Jackson is the best DC in the state.

McDaniel was the perfect coach to rebuild Oakland, just like Creasy was the perfect coach to take them to the next level. If roles were switched, things may not have turned out as well as they did for Oakland. 

My apologies to Blackman folk for hijacking your thread. I hope Blackman can get some stability going forward, it's hard to build a successful progr when you go through 4 coaches in the last 8 seasons

12 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

There can be no debate, Thomas McDaniel is a darn good Head Coach. In 7 years, he completely changed the landscape of HS Football in RuCo/Middle Tennessee. Went 14-1 and won a state title in his first year when Oakland had only that many games the 5 seasons previous. Also did it with basically no passing game or misdirection, something that will never be done on a 5A/6A level again. 

That said, Oakland did have flaws, namely on offense. Oakland had no shortage of talent of talent, but consistency was hard to find. Because Oakland was so physical, they had a way of making you feel like losing by 14 felt more like losing by 40.

IMO, I do think Kevin Creasy is a significantly better HC, but it's not a huge gap. Creasy inherited a program that  had already had back to back 12 win seasons. Creasy has also gotten the kind of elite talent to transfer in than McDaniel never really got; In Mcdaniel's tenure it was struggle to keep kids from transferring to the private schools, under Creasy it's the reverse.

Both coaches have/did do a great job of hiring staff, several of the McDaniel staff have gone one to being successful HC's or coordinators, it's only a matter time of time. Creasy does have a slight edge because in my biased opinion, Stephen Jackson is the best DC in the state.

McDaniel was the perfect coach to rebuild Oakland, just like Creasy was the perfect coach to take them to the next level. If roles were switched, things may not have turned out as well as they did for Oakland. 

My apologies to Blackman folk for hijacking your thread. I hope Blackman can get some stability going forward, it's hard to build a successful progr when you go through 4 coaches in the last 8 seasons

These were some of my same points about the comparison between McDaniel and Creasy. As for the Blackman job, I agree it will be hard to get it turned around, however I believe it will take a significant change that may or may not include assistant coaches being replaced. Hard to say as I know and like all these coaches and have great respect for them. The first 90 days will set the tone for what is or isn,t to come.... 

3 hours ago, Blaze45 said:

These were some of my same points about the comparison between McDaniel and Creasy. As for the Blackman job, I agree it will be hard to get it turned around, however I believe it will take a significant change that may or may not include assistant coaches being replaced. Hard to say as I know and like all these coaches and have great respect for them. The first 90 days will set the tone for what is or isn,t to come.... 

I don't doubt there are good coaches still at Blackman, but if I was the HC, I would want to turn over the staff with my own guys as much as possible, signal a complete break. This would have been a easier transition a few years ago when they didn't have to deal with a Riverdale team that is the best it's best been top to bottom since Rankin left

7 hours ago, Lost Old Dad said:

The FIRST Coach I would hire if I was the HC at Blackman would be the weight room Coach and put them to work immediately!  Especially if they want to be competative in this region.

Need to bring back Coach Beasley... he is one of the best strength coaches in the state 

Everyone is some variation of Spread nowadays.  If you’re going to win at Blackman and compete with Oakland you better do something that makes you unique in your own way.  You can’t be like the rest of the crowd.  

That’s what KC knew and that’s why his Oakland teams are so good year in and year out.  They are very diverse on both sides of the football and have the players to match their scheme.  They could be a Wing T team one snap and be in 5WR Empty Gun the next snap.  They are not like all of these “modern Spread teams” getting in 2x2 and 3x1 and running Jet Sweep and throwing Slip Screens.  

Just because it looks good on Saturdays on CBS and ABC doesn’t mean it’s destined to fit your program schematically.