Down goes #1 Upperman Bees! 62-57 final

HawkGuy06

Just now, HawkGuy06 said:

That’s great news for y’all. 

Normally this how it goes in MC. Have about 4-6 years of really good teams then go down for about 2-4 years. Unfortunately it’s that way, but it’s like waiting for an anticipated movie sequel to finally come out years after the first one did lol.

2 minutes ago, MCFAN3 said:

Normally this how it goes in MC. Have about 4-6 years of really good teams then go down for about 2-4 years. Unfortunately it’s that way, but it’s like waiting for an anticipated movie sequel to finally come out years after the first one did lol.

Yea we have had team to compete or could possibly win state the last about 5-7 years! Smh we keep getting hit with the injury bug! I hate to see kids(especially seniors) going down to an season long injury! I know it’s apart of the game but it still sucks! 

2 minutes ago, HawkGuy06 said:

Yea we have had team to compete or could possibly win state the last about 5-7 years! Smh we keep getting hit with the injury bug! I hate to see kids(especially seniors) going down to an season long injury! I know it’s apart of the game but it still sucks! 

Especially when you’ve played any kind of sport..that last game feeling whether due to injury or not is the worst! The sad thing is that last years senior group had been to Murfreesboro all four years and got their best chance ripped from them because of COVID. By far, the best team MC has ever had and might ever have unless a group finally brings home gold instead of silver.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MCFAN3 said:

I totally agree with your statement. MC got in a dry spell there for a bit. A win against an Upperman team who has dominated all year long will hopefully put us back on track. This year is our last year of having a quality team before we go down for about two years. We have a good middle school group coming up that should put us in a good situation for years to come! 

I don’t think West TN teams are dodging anybody either. I just think overall West TN doesn’t have the amount of good teams as Middle and East TN does. Very few are on that top tier level in my opinion.

South Side, Gibson County, Westview, McKenzie and USJ probably the five best teams in West TN this year. Covington, Union City, Peabody, TCA and Greenfield are a close second. Will be interesting how it turns out this year. Do think Single A and Double AA will be some outstanding games. TSSAA made a big mistake giving Memphis 3 districts for AA next year. Means AA will likely have two Memphis teams there at the state, while sending two of Westview, Gibson County, Union City or Huntingdon across the river to play a Cheatham, Summertown or Loretto. Out of all of that only two of that bunch will be in Murfreesboro.

Edited by pioneer42

31 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

South Side, Gibson County, Westview, McKenzie and USJ probably the five best teams in West TN this year. Covington, Union City, Peabody, TCA and Greenfield are a close second. Will be interesting how it turns out this year. Do think Single A and Double AA will be some outstanding games. TSSAA made a big mistake giving Memphis 3 districts for AA next year. Means AA will likely have two Memphis teams there at the state, while sending two of Westview, Gibson County, Union City or Huntingdon across the river to play a Cheatham, Summertown or Loretto. Out of all of that only two of that bunch will be in Murfreesboro.

I think ours will only get easier smh! We will only have to worry about Creekwood(region) & have South Gibson(district) 

6 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Gibson County beat Livingston Academy in the Finals in 2009. I watched Upperman play Gatlinburg Pittman last year and believe me they would have had problems with Westview just like Macon County would have last year. South Side lost no one from last years team that played injured all year and Westview has a lot back including a D-1 PG. You guys got smoked up there two years ago by Cheatham County. I don’t know how suddenly every one from West TN is just going to be scared of 8 AA. That ain’t going to happen. 

Macon County wasn’t getting beat last year my friend. Not by anyone in AA or AAA for that matter. I know you and respect your opinion and I do agree Westview would have been a formidable opponent but Macon was just too good. 

5 hours ago, HawkGuy06 said:

I think ours will only get easier smh! We will only have to worry about Creekwood(region) & have South Gibson(district) 

Agreed you have a cakewalk to the state tournament. No doubt about it but once you get there you’ll have to face 8AA. That’s a different ballgame. We will see how your team reacts when they are down 10 in the second half instead of up 40. 

5 hours ago, HawkGuy06 said:

Agreed.  We’ve all watched this happen and I hate it for the team and the player every time it does. 

2 hours ago, UCSportsFan said:

Macon County wasn’t getting beat last year my friend. Not by anyone in AA or AAA for that matter. I know you and respect your opinion and I do agree Westview would have been a formidable opponent but Macon was just too good. 

I will say this. 2019 is the year I thought was Macon’s for sure. They had came off the wild state championship game with Upperman in 2018 and Cheatham upset them. Westview the next day played Cheatham in the Finals and led most of the game until the last 3 or 4 minutes. Westview lost Gatlin the PG and the big post and replaced Gatlin with Jada Harrison, the D-1 PG and had another 6’0 post that took over the other spot. Do think Macon knocked off Westview in a semi game to the wire in their 2018 run. Last years Westview team lost their 2 and 3 in Yancy and Callins which were good players but somewhat replaceable as Macon lost some pieces. I will agree that South Side’s opponents and Westview’s opponents are considerably down this year, but they themselves are not down. I see Upperman, Macon, Westview and South Side on paper being pretty close. I will say you guys will have the nod on being battle tested because these guys districts are down. I would love to see a Macon, South Side, Upperman and Westview Final Four this year.Very obvious between Upperman, Livingston Academy, Macon County, Jackson County and Clarkrange that this area has been dominant the last 20 years. Livingston Academy itself probably cost Gibson County two or three Gold Balls in their run. I think West TN has closed the gap considerably to the Upper Cumberland area. West TN has great feeder programs and they play basketball 365 24/7 which didn’t happen as much back in the day. I will agree that your top 4 in AA is better top to bottom than our top four.Do think your top two and our top two are much closer as both areas have lots of college players on the floor.You guys may be favorites in Vegas but it would be single digits. 

Edited by pioneer42

13 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

I will say this. 2019 is the year I thought was Macon’s for sure. They had came off the wild state championship game with Upperman in 2018 and Cheatham upset them. Westview the next day played Cheatham in the Finals and led most of the game until the last 3 or 4 minutes. Westview lost Gatlin the PG and the big post and replaced Gatlin with Jada Harrison, the D-1 PG and had another 6’0 post that took over the other spot. Do think Macon knocked off Westview in a semi game to the wire in their 2018 run. Last years Westview team lost their 2 and 3 in Yancy and Callins which were good players but somewhat replaceable as Macon lost some pieces. I will agree that South Side’s opponents and Westview’s opponents are considerably down this year, but they themselves are not down. I see Upperman, Macon, Westview and South Side on paper being pretty close. I will say you guys will have the nod on being battle tested because these guys districts are down. I would love to see a Macon, South Side, Upperman and Westview Final Four this year.Very obvious between Upperman, Livingston Academy, Macon County, Jackson County and Clarkrange that this area has been dominant the last 20 years. Livingston Academy itself probably cost Gibson County two or three Gold Balls in their run. I think West TN has closed the gap considerably to the Upper Cumberland area. West TN has great feeder programs and they play basketball 365 24/7 which didn’t happen as much back in the day. I will agree that your top 4 in AA is better too to bottom than our top four.Do think your top two and our top two are much closer as both areas have lots of college players on the floor.You guys may be favorites in Vegas but it would be single digits. 

Would be a great final four!  Let’s hope it happens!  

• Like 1

Basketball is one of those sports that it’s hard to go undefeated in a regular season, you can be 30 points better than the other team and still get beat on any given night. Just look at Bearden, I think they are probably best team in the state, followed closely by Upperman and Ensworth, but they lost to Alcoa. Is Alcoa better than Bearden no. Is Macon better than Upperman probably not. But that’s why sports are fun, you never know.

• Like 1