Blue Cross Bowl Bids

chs1984

3 hours ago, TomLHS said:

The only reason why Murfreesboro doesn’t want it is because money cannot be made.  It is geographically located to where overnight stays aren’t necessary.  Oh how I wish it would come back to the Boro.

That’s the story I heard. When their contract was up, they waited until the last second to decide whether or not to even submit a new bid. While Cookeville and Chattanooga made these elaborate presentations, Murfreesboro’s representative got up when it was his turn and said “Look, you’ve been there 9 years, you either want to stay or you don’t. Thank you.” And set down. That got them immediately scratched off of every voters list. 

1 hour ago, District12AA said:

Let’s get with the times. Many states rotate their championship game sites and this would be a welcome change by most fans across the state. 

Rotate between the 3 Cs- Cookeville, Clarksville, and Chattanooga. These three cities have shown interest in hosting.

Neyland and Nissan Stadium are not viable options. Once MLS stadium is built there may be some interest and West Tennessee really doesn’t have a facility besides UT-Martin.

Just curious; Why is Neyland not an option? Too large? 

4 hours ago, sheppy said:

Walking distance for hotels and restaurants can't be better than Vanderbilt at any of the mentioned cities.   Would love to see it come to Clarksville but size of stadium will be a factor and Johnny's is the only place to eat within walking distance and currently no hotel within walking distance. 

This might not make sense, but Nashville has gotten so big, I don’t think that an event like the Blue Cross Bowl would even be important to the city anymore. Cookeville has the opposite problem, the event seems too big for the venue.....

42 minutes ago, chs1984 said:

Just curious; Why is Neyland not an option? Too large? 

A couple of reasons. 

1. Turf- natural grass surface is asking for trouble with 9 games in 3 days.

2. Venue Size- way too large to create a fun atmosphere for a state championship game

3. Parking is not the easiest around the stadium when schools in session.

1 hour ago, District12AA said:

A couple of reasons. 

1. Turf- natural grass surface is asking for trouble with 9 games in 3 days.

2. Venue Size- way too large to create a fun atmosphere for a state championship game

3. Parking is not the easiest around the stadium when schools in session.

District, not disagreeing on these but looking at them from a different angle. You have several months to repair the field before it is needed again. I know the use of the field was restricted while Butch Jones (I think) was there and they would not allow the high school jamborees to be held there. But this was at the beginning of the year, not at the end.

The atmosphere for the jamborees are amazing and I could see state championships being the same way.

Not sure when school is officially out for the Christmas break, parking could be an issue. It might be at about the same time as exams. 

4 hours ago, District12AA said:

Let’s get with the times. Many states rotate their championship game sites and this would be a welcome change by most fans across the state. 

Rotate between the 3 Cs- Cookeville, Clarksville, and Chattanooga. These three cities have shown interest in hosting.

Neyland and Nissan Stadium are not viable options. Once MLS stadium is built there may be some interest and West Tennessee really doesn’t have a facility besides UT-Martin.

I beg to differ about West TN. I think the Liberty Bowl in Memphis would work fine. Also The minor league ball park in Jackson would work just fine. They have had high school jamborees there before. It has many hotels and restaurants very close by and is right on the interstate. 

15 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I beg to differ about West TN. I think the Liberty Bowl in Memphis would work fine. Also The minor league ball park in Jackson would work just fine. They have had high school jamborees there before. It has many hotels and restaurants very close by and is right on the interstate. 

What is the seating capacity for Jackson?  

22 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Around 8k seated.  Would be on the low side but I don’t think we have had any state games in the last few years that had more than that although I could be wrong. 

APSU seats 10,000 and they say that is not enough.  Not sure my memory is correct but I think the largest crowds in Cookeville over their tenure as host has been 12,000 and that has only been a few times.

• Upvote 1

MTSU makes the most sense being that the geographic center of Tennessee is on campus. Murfreesboro is a great town. But something has been happening at MTSU for the past decade. They don’t recruit Tennessee kids, not even Rutherford county. They don’t want to put a bid in for the Blue Cross Bowl either. 

Insell gets it. His basketball team is literally a Rutherford county all star team. State Tournament is also played there. 

Not saying it’s a Stockstill thing, it’s probably not his decision, but it would benefit his program to have the BCB played at Middle. 

3 hours ago, TheLiaison said:

MTSU makes the most sense being that the geographic center of Tennessee is on campus. Murfreesboro is a great town. But something has been happening at MTSU for the past decade. They don’t recruit Tennessee kids, not even Rutherford county. They don’t want to put a bid in for the Blue Cross Bowl either. 

Insell gets it. His basketball team is literally a Rutherford county all star team. State Tournament is also played there. 

Not saying it’s a Stockstill thing, it’s probably not his decision, but it would benefit his program to have the BCB played at Middle. 

Stockstill's boss is the problem