South Pittsburg Pirates’ Coaching Search

OLD PIRATE

3 hours ago, The Drunken Sailor said:

I understand what you are saying, but Danny Wilson wasn't a homegrown talent either and he did very well as a coach here.  I don't mind an outsider as long he is the right choice for us.  

Just to play Devil's Advocate on Chris, and I'm not against him, just bringing a little something else to the conversation.  Having a great resume at a higher level doesn't always bring success at lower levels.  We've all seen college and pro coaches have success at one level but not at the other. There is a difference when handling different age groups it seems and some are better suited for one than the other.  At the same time though, having success at one school doesn't equate success at another.  A coach with multiple championships for one team may not be able to duplicate that success somewhere else.  In the end it's all a big crap shoot.  I just hope we don't crap out.  

410KYEk+msL._AC_SY450_.jpg

This has been my thought all along.I have no dog in the fight but I would want a proven high school coach myself.I have heard stories these kind of coaches tanking in high school,because they dont necessarily know how to "Coach" kids.World of difference!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, TheAmbassador said:

Shut up Dillard man. We are talking about our next coach in here. Put that stuff in your rear view mirror and go full steam ahead. 

Hey Bass, let me ask a question? When we go on probation in April, will the new coach get to meet with the team? Just asking. I don't understand all the do's and don'ts of this probation. I understand the practice and all, but not sure about this deal. BTW, I always enjoy talking with you about the subject of football. 

40 minutes ago, sportman said:

Hey Bass, let me ask a question? When we go on probation in April, will the new coach get to meet with the team? Just asking. I don't understand all the do's and don'ts of this probation. I understand the practice and all, but not sure about this deal. BTW, I always enjoy talking with you about the subject of football. 

I don’t know how that works. I would assume they can continue their off season workouts. 

Off subject a little bit, but I was talking with my brother the other day about little league baseball when we played and there were 6 six teams when we played. Pirates, Mets, Braves, Yankee's, Jet's, Colts.  I happened to be on the Braves and we were not that good. But, now does anyone even know if they have a team at all in SP? Plus our babe Ruth league when I moved up had, Dodgers, Twins, Red Sox and three teams from Bridgeport in there with us.  I know one was the Angels and I cant remember the other two. It was kinda slow on the T today so wanted to share that with some folks and see if it stirs your minds up? 

1 hour ago, sportman said:

Off subject a little bit, but I was talking with my brother the other day about little league baseball when we played and there were 6 six teams when we played. Pirates, Mets, Braves, Yankee's, Jet's, Colts.  I happened to be on the Braves and we were not that good. But, now does anyone even know if they have a team at all in SP? Plus our babe Ruth league when I moved up had, Dodgers, Twins, Red Sox and three teams from Bridgeport in there with us.  I know one was the Angels and I cant remember the other two. It was kinda slow on the T today so wanted to share that with some folks and see if it stirs your minds up? 

I was on the Cougars, Cubs, and Royals in the younger ages then Babe Ruth it was the Yankees and another team I can’t remember but we were maroon and black.  

These days we have just Pirates.  We barely have enough to make two teams in each age group but sometimes can.  

2 hours ago, sportman said:

We had a pasture and plow disc for bases. We were called the dogs** holler gang....I think they disbanded.