South Pittsburg Pirates’ Coaching Search

OLD PIRATE

5 hours ago, PiRaTe._.MiKe said:

While I agree with you, we have to be patient and allow the process to be completed.  Like @piratetom and I was talking about we all know what happened last time.  We had a committee and we hired the S.O.S.  Then for whatever reason things didn’t happen so he left for the job 8 miles up the road.  He did well there then moved on, and hasn’t done as well.  Anyways, then we thought we had another Coach picked that was a hometown guy and alum.  Other than the team he inherited in 2013 that went to state, he just didn’t have a grip on the players attitudes and the “team” concept.  He then had one of the worst records in 20 years in 2014.  So, always picking the hometown guy and alum doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the right guy.  HOWEVER, I do believe CJ is the best choice as a “head” coach.  I haven’t really voiced my opinion publicly, but there it is.  I think one of the aspects that many of us aren’t realizing is that with a new coach there may be new assistants and new volunteers.  All of these things I’m sure have to be somewhat considered.  Again, my vote is CJ, but I’m not on the committee.  :-|

Tim's wasn't the worst record in 20 years.  Vic set the team record for losses in a season with 9 in 2000.  2004 was bad at  3 -7.  As far as 2014 goes, I don't know what could have been done about the Mama situation other than shutting some mamas heads in a car door.  It really started in Dec 2013 and spiraled. 

21 minutes ago, rlh said:

Tim's wasn't the worst record in 20 years.  Vic set the team record for losses in a season with 9 in 2000.  2004 was bad at  3 -7.  As far as 2014 goes, I don't know what could have been done about the Mama situation other than shutting some mamas heads in a car door.  It really started in Dec 2013 and spiraled. 

You are right. At least he did have one good season. The 2013 season was a good one.. so there’s that anyway. 

40 minutes ago, rlh said:

Right, I knew about those years but that’s why I said “one of the worst”.  A person can only count on one hand the Mount of losing record seasons the last 20 years. 

3 minutes ago, workinprogress said:

Is VG retiring from coaching or from education all together? Just curious if he will still be in the picture and if he is the one making this hire or not. 

Since he is still the current AD and Asst Principal I’d say he’s in the picture still.  But yes he’s returning from coaching and education, at least in Tennessee.  

3 hours ago, workinprogress said:

Is VG retiring from coaching or from education all together? Just curious if he will still be in the picture and if he is the one making this hire or not. 

He applied for several jobs in Georgia and was runner-up for the prestigious Dalton job.