Powell getting a big boost

JustinBuck

3 hours ago, JohnnyUtah said:

Powell has the best skills players on one team that I’ve seen collectively since Alcoa with Cobb, Lindsey, Warren. Egos and injuries is the only thing that will stop Powell this year. 

Yeah I thought the same thing when Alcoa played Murval last yr and had (starting players) 10-D1 and 4-d2 players on the field for us. Murval had like 5-6 college kids on the field. No way Murval wins no way

we lost 14-9

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, keepitmoving said:

Would it be an upset?  On paper Powell is FAR better than Maryville IMO.  Your are right though, Maryville def. has the edge when it comes to the coaching.  Maryville wins 95% of there games due to the coaches game plan, and halftime adjustments.   Def will be a good game!

My guess, Maryville will play  control the clock on offense and frustrate Powell by keeping Potts and WR off the field. Making Powell press for the big play. You know a trick play will be in the calls, just can it be timed right. If Maryville wins it'll be on the headsets and not the field. 

15 hours ago, Tadvols said:

Wonder why they didn't play  .. possible still trying to get them eligible?? What about the 2 Wr's that were caught with weed at school .. they play???

They have been cleared by TSSAA a long time ago.  There first day at practice was last Thursday.  They have to do 5 days of heat acclimation per TSSAA and yesterday was the last day of them sitting out.  So we can all stop with the speculation.  lol  

1 hour ago, keepitmoving said:

They have been cleared by TSSAA a long time ago.  There first day at practice was last Thursday.  They have to do 5 days of heat acclimation per TSSAA and yesterday was the last day of them sitting out.  So we can all stop with the speculation.  lol  

He's obsessed.  Simply obsessed.  

6 hours ago, keepitmoving said:

Would it be an upset?  On paper Powell is FAR better than Maryville IMO.  Your are right though, Maryville def. has the edge when it comes to the coaching.  Maryville wins 95% of there games due to the coaches game plan, and halftime adjustments.   Def will be a good game!

On paper they're better? You sound like Rory Gibbs...

7 hours ago, keepitmoving said:

And by the way, just a suggestion here.  

As somebody with ties and a history to both programs and one who wants to see both do well, my advice is to be careful about blanket statements like this.  Maryville is good enough as is.  There is no reason to give them any additional bulletin board material.  

And the saying about not playing the game on paper is very much true.  That said, Maryville is not a bunch of slepps.  There is a lot of talent on that roster, several kids verbally committed already to both FBS and FCS programs and more with offers.  When you start going position by position it that "paper gap" isn't quite as wide as one might think.  

Both teams are expected to do well in their respective classifications this year.  Let's just look forward to week two.  It should be a great game.  

Edited by HTV
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HTV said:

And by the way, just a suggestion here.  

As somebody with ties and a history to both programs and one who wants to see both do well, my advice is to be careful about blanket statements like this.  Maryville is good enough as is.  There is no reason to give them any additional bulletin board material.  

And the saying about not playing the game on paper is very much true.  That said, Maryville is not a bunch of slepps.  There is a lot of talent on that roster, several kids verbally committed already to both FBS and FCS programs and more with offers.  When you start going position by position it that "paper gap" isn't quite as wide as one might think.  

Both teams are expected to do well in their respective classifications this year.  Let's just look forward to week two.  It should be a great game.  

Well said, HTV.

I'd love to see Powell win, but jeez, the last thing you want to do is go kicking a hornets' nest.

34 minutes ago, JohnnyUtah said:

My guess, Maryville will play  control the clock on offense and frustrate Powell by keeping Potts and WR off the field. Making Powell press for the big play. You know a trick play will be in the calls, just can it be timed right. If Maryville wins it'll be on the headsets and not the field. 

The Rebels are an absolute machine. Hunt learned well from Quarles. Will definitely be an upset if Powell wins. I don’t think the game would have been close originally as scheduled, but Powell adding Walter definitely makes things interesting. There haven’t been many players of his caliber play East TN HS football.